1 A/G mode

2 Assign SMS to a page on left MFD

3 Push S-J

Observe page swap to other MFD

4 Push S-J again

Observe page swap again

Can be repeated.

Track attached.

ps the reason for needing to put the SMS on the left is when the HSD & HAD are both on the right there is no space for the SMS there as the 3rd space needs to go to either WPN or TGP.

SMS_SJ_SWAP.trk

Pimax Crystal VR & Simpit User | Ryzen CPU & Nvidia RTX GPU | Some of my mods

• ED Team
  • Solution

@TAIPAN_, in your video, you set the left MFD to SMS format while in A-G master mode, and then press S-J. When this button is pressed on the SMS page, Selective Jettison master mode is entered.

As @Tholozor mentioned, each master mode has its own set of MFD formats. The default format for the right MFD when in the S-J master mode is SMS format. But if you press the S-J button at OSB 11 on the SMS format while already in S-J master mode, it exits S-J and returns you to A-G master mode and the MFD configuration that you had when last in A-G master mode.

You will notice that an MFD swap is not occurring, because the right MFD is set to BLANK format while in A-G master mode, but when you enter S-J master mode, the left MFD is set to FCR.

• Thanks 1

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

On 1/21/2024 at 7:45 AM, Raptor9 said:

@TAIPAN_, in your video, you set the left MFD to SMS format while in A-G master mode, and then press S-J. When this button is pressed on the SMS page, Selective Jettison master mode is entered.

As @Tholozor mentioned, each master mode has its own set of MFD formats. The default format for the right MFD when in the S-J master mode is SMS format. But if you press the S-J button at OSB 11 on the SMS format while already in S-J master mode, it exits S-J and returns you to A-G master mode and the MFD configuration that you had when last in A-G master mode.

You will notice that an MFD swap is not occurring, because the right MFD is set to BLANK format while in A-G master mode, but when you enter S-J master mode, the left MFD is set to FCR.

Interesting thanks, I didn't know there was a separate master mode. Interesting that a whole master mode is just for one function, but I can understand there may be reasons. I always thought the S-J was a sub-page of the SMS page because I only ever had it open for a few seconds I never thought to look/use the page menu below it.

In that case I could swap the S-J page with the Swap button while in S-J mode to move it over, however I've been using it just fine on the other page anyway.

Out of curiosity, are there any other master modes besides A/A, A/G, Dogfight, NAV, and S-J?

Thanks

There is also a MRM master mode. 

Regarding the SMS page setup: you can set up different pages as you like. Mostly used are the bottom OSB's. For example, i like to switch to dogfight and MRM mode and set one of the pages on the right MFD to HSD to maintain SA. Then i set other page to TGP, so i can visually identify whatever target the radar has found. I leave the first page at SMS to change gun modes or have a quick overview of the weapons selected and its parameters. 

Same can be done in AG mode.

So with this setup, you can quickly cycle between these pages with the DMS switch, without the need of fidling with the buttons and menus

Edited by Falconeer
  • Like 1

Planes:                                      Choppers:                                       Maps:

• Flaming Cliffs 3                      Black Shark 2                                 Syria
  • A-10C Tank killer 2                Black Shark 3                                 Persian Gulf
  • F/A18C Hornet                       AH-64 Apache                               Mariana's
  • F-16C Viper   
  • F-15E Strike Eagle                   
  • Mirage 2000C
  • AJS-37 Viggen
  • JF-17 Thunder
  • F-14 Tomcat

• ED Team
55 minutes ago, TAIPAN_ said:

Out of curiosity, are there any other master modes besides A/A, A/G, Dogfight, NAV, and S-J?

There are 7 master modes: NAV, AAM, A-G, MSL, DGFT, S-J, and E-J.

Each are briefly described at the beginning of the Tactical Systems chapter of the DCS F-16 Early Access Guide, what occurs when transitioning to each master mode, and the default MFD formats in each mode.

• Thanks 1

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

13 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

There are 7 master modes: NAV, AAM, A-G, MSL, DGFT, S-J, and E-J.

Each are briefly described at the beginning of the Tactical Systems chapter of the DCS F-16 Early Access Guide, what occurs when transitioning to each master mode, and the default MFD formats in each mode.

Great info thanks, MSL & DGFT I knew but never knew E-J was one. I thought the emergency jettison happened so fast that there would be no need for a mode. The tactical systems section you referenced explains this nicely thanks.

One thing I noticed when doing S-J to get rid of my fuel tanks is that my TGP will lose its point track of the target, I'm now understanding that this is because I didn't add the TGP page to the S-J mode.

13 hours ago, Falconeer said:

There is also a MRM master mode. 

Regarding the SMS page setup: you can set up different pages as you like. Mostly used are the bottom OSB's. For example, i like to switch to dogfight and MRM mode and set one of the pages on the right MFD to HSD to maintain SA. Then i set other page to TGP, so i can visually identify whatever target the radar has found. I leave the first page at SMS to change gun modes or have a quick overview of the weapons selected and its parameters. 

Same can be done in AG mode.

So with this setup, you can quickly cycle between these pages with the DMS switch, without the need of fidling with the buttons and menus

Setting up the SMS pages is how I got into this problem in the first place 🙂 Actually using DCS-DTC which is great, though I didn't for the video report keeping it mod free. Love the DMS switch too, especially in VR.

MRM - are you sure that's a master mode? I thought that was just the missile selection, MRM "medium range missile" ie AIM-120?

2 hours ago, TAIPAN_ said:

Great info thanks, MSL & DGFT I knew but never knew E-J was one. I thought the emergency jettison happened so fast that there would be no need for a mode. The tactical systems section you referenced explains this nicely thanks.

One thing I noticed when doing S-J to get rid of my fuel tanks is that my TGP will lose its point track of the target, I'm now understanding that this is because I didn't add the TGP page to the S-J mode.

Setting up the SMS pages is how I got into this problem in the first place 🙂 Actually using DCS-DTC which is great, though I didn't for the video report keeping it mod free. Love the DMS switch too, especially in VR.

MRM - are you sure that's a master mode? I thought that was just the missile selection, MRM "medium range missile" ie AIM-120?

MRM is opposite of the dogfight switch and is it's own master mode.

Some call it MSL, others called it Missile override, i like to call it how it's referred to on the throttle as MSL is mostly use for "Mean Sea Level"

There are 7 master modes in total. 

2 hours ago, TAIPAN_ said:

Great info thanks, MSL & DGFT I knew but never knew E-J was one. I thought the emergency jettison happened so fast that there would be no need for a mode

Thats why it's a master mode. It overrides every mode you are in

Planes:                                      Choppers:                                       Maps:

• Flaming Cliffs 3                      Black Shark 2                                 Syria
  • A-10C Tank killer 2                Black Shark 3                                 Persian Gulf
  • F/A18C Hornet                       AH-64 Apache                               Mariana's
  • F-16C Viper   
  • F-15E Strike Eagle                   
  • Mirage 2000C
  • AJS-37 Viggen
  • JF-17 Thunder
  • F-14 Tomcat

• ED Team
27 minutes ago, Falconeer said:

MRM is opposite of the dogfight switch and is it's own master mode.

Some call it MSL, others called it Missile override, i like to call it how it's referred to on the throttle as MSL is mostly use for "Mean Sea Level"

"MRM" (Medium Range Missile) is a weapon symbology sub-mode for when AIM-120 operation logic and targeting symbology is being presented in AAM or MSL master modes. As opposed to being in MSL master mode and having "SRM" or "HOB" logic/symbology for when AIM-9 or AIM-9X are selected, respectively.

It's like how CCRP, DTOS, or CCIP weapon delivery sub-modes are displayed in the HUD when in A-G master mode. Not to say anyone can't refer to it however they want, but it may sound confusing when someone is trying to learn the F-16 module, pressing the DGFT/MSL OVRD throttle switch inboard to select Missile Override master mode and "SRM" is presented, or when pressing A-A on the ICP and seeing "MRM" displayed instead.

• Like 1

DCS Rotor-Head

8 minutes ago, Raptor9 said:

"MRM" (Medium Range Missile) is a weapon symbology sub-mode for when AIM-120 operation logic and targeting symbology is being presented in AAM or MSL master modes. As opposed to being in MSL master mode and having "SRM" or "HOB" logic/symbology for when AIM-9 or AIM-9X are selected, respectively.

It's like how CCRP, DTOS, or CCIP weapon delivery sub-modes are displayed in the HUD when in A-G master mode. Not to say anyone can't refer to it however they want, but it may sound confusing when someone is trying to learn the F-16 module, pressing the DGFT/MSL OVRD throttle switch inboard to select Missile Override master mode and "SRM" is presented, or when pressing A-A on the ICP and seeing "MRM" displayed instead.

This is correct.

I'm used to different abbreviations

Potato potáto 😁

• F-16C Viper   
  • F-15E Strike Eagle                   
  • Mirage 2000C
  • AJS-37 Viggen
  • JF-17 Thunder
  • F-14 Tomcat