Best desk top for DCS

florate

Do you own a desk top that can run DCS with all non-conflicting settings set to MAX?  Please share fundamental info.

I am considering replacing old paint with the latest and greatest - well $$$$ maybe.

In the following order:

- buy the beefiest GPU you can afford (top tier RTX 4090)

- buy the beefiest CPU you can still afford (top/recommended tier Ryzen 7800X3D)

- buy at least 32GB of solid RAM (top tier 64GB, but don't overspend for the biggest MHz')

- buy a solid Motherboard but don't overspend on it.

- buy a good PSU (min. 850W, better 1000W). I would recommend BeQuiet Straight Power.

Don't forget that peripherals, a good case and a PSU also add up.......

• Like 4

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

If you're running something like 7800X3D, a good CPU cooler will also be a non-insignificant cost. Water or air will work, but it'll cost a pretty penny either way. A good cooler is vital to getting a high end CPU to run well (or at all, X3Ds in particular run hot).

Pretty much what Hiob said above: especially in VR buy the best components you can afford (especially if you plan to use VR) - a typical DCS PC is (quite a bit) more expensive than a regular gaming PC.

One thing to add though: you don't necessarily need a 4090 (especially in pancake mode), but at the very least get something with 16GB of VRAM (or more). DCS is quite VRAM hungry and in 2024 you'd best avoid sub-16GB cards.

(PS If you can wait a week it might be worth checking some reviews for the new 4080Super before you buy a graphics card)

• Like 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

49 minutes ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

One thing to add though: you don't necessarily need a 4090 (especially in pancake mode), but at the very least get something with 16GB of VRAM (or more). DCS is quite VRAM hungry and in 2024 you'd best avoid sub-16GB cards.

True!

I was referring to the "latest and greatest" and the "no matter the cost" vibe I got from OP. Regarding raw power you can hardly argue against a 4090. Power per $, there are better options of course!

Oh and one note to the cooling of the 7000 series AMD cpus. They have exceptional thick (and bad) heat spreaders, resulting in a poor heat conductivity. For that reason, you won't get any benefit from water-cooling them. (IUnless you behead them and go direct die cooling). So any decent 250W class Air-Cooler will do.

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 2

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

• Like 1

L'importante non è stabilire se uno ha paura o meno, è saper convivere con la propria paura e non farsi condizionare dalla stessa. Ecco, il coraggio è questo, altrimenti non è più coraggio ma incoscienza.

😃

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/21/2024 at 2:57 AM, Hiob said:

In the following order:

- buy the beefiest GPU you can afford (top tier RTX 4090)

- buy the beefiest CPU you can still afford (top/recommended tier Ryzen 7800X3D)

- buy at least 32GB of solid RAM (top tier 64GB, but don't overspend for the biggest MHz')

- buy a solid Motherboard but don't overspend on it.

- buy a good PSU (min. 850W, better 1000W). I would recommend BeQuiet Straight Power.

Don't forget that peripherals, a good case and a PSU also add up Stiebel Eltron WPC 10 [20/68] Operation menu structure.......

I'm looking for a PC build that is either AMD or Intel. I also am looking for this build to be future proof of no upgrades for years to come and able to handle DCS world and X plane 11 or other current or future simulator games. I have never played neither of the games and i am looking for my build to be VR and TrackIR capable so any VR setup be greatly appreciated. The resolution i am aiming for is either 1080p or 4K setup and i do want the best setup that win run DCS world flawlessly. Any help will be greatly appreciated and i really have no max budget as i would be buying each part separately.. If I had to choose a budget for what i'm looking for in my build would be $2K for either AMD or Intel 1080p or 4k setup.

7 hours ago, lukafred said:

I'm looking for a PC build that is either AMD or Intel. I also am looking for this build to be future proof of no upgrades for years to come and able to handle DCS world and X plane 11 or other current or future simulator games. I have never played neither of the games and i am looking for my build to be VR and TrackIR capable so any VR setup be greatly appreciated. The resolution i am aiming for is either 1080p or 4K setup and i do want the best setup that win run DCS world flawlessly. Any help will be greatly appreciated and i really have no max budget as i would be buying each part separately.. If I had to choose a budget for what i'm looking for in my build would be $2K for either AMD or Intel 1080p or 4k setup.

If you want a future proof VR build for years to come you'll likely have to buy the best of the best parts, which will be way above a 2000$ budget... 

10 hours ago, lukafred said:

You need to make up your mind about 1080p or 4K. That's a pretty wide spread, both in regards to quality and cost. 

When you are happy with 1080p (though it's not 2015 anymore), every better mit-tier hardware will do. But I would strongly recommend to go with at least 1440p.

+1 - I switched from HD to 1440 a short while ago and didn't expect much, but the difference is very noticable. Especially stands out when I watch things like this (oh and DCS 2.9 runs smooth as silk in VR up to now - specs in sig):

Edited by Johnny Dioxin
  • Like 1

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Just about the X3D - I have the 7800X3D and bought this cheapish cooler at £30 ($38) and it keeps my CPU in the 50's °C the vast majority of the time - also using a highly cooled Corsair 4000D Airflow case (which can use water cooling, too):

https://www.thermalright.com/product/phantom-spirit-120-se/

**it's quiet, too!

Edited by Johnny Dioxin

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

On 2/15/2024 at 11:26 AM, Johnny Dioxin said:

I switched from HD to 1440 a short while ago and didn't expect much, but the difference is very noticeable.

The (perceived) difference between 1080p and 1440p is much much larger than the difference between 1440p and 2160p.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

5 hours ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

The (perceived) difference between 1080p and 1440p is much much larger than the difference between 1440p and 2160p.

It‘s objectively smaller though. I‘d say that depends on the size of the monitor. But you are right, for regular monitor sizes, there are diminishing returns past 1440p.

I did increase monitor size when I switched - from 24" HD to 27" QHD. For once an increase in size didn't leave me feeling like I had to sit further back from the monitor.

Kneeboard Guides

4 hours ago, Johnny Dioxin said:

I did increase monitor size when I switched - from 24" HD to 27" QHD. For once an increase in size didn't leave me feeling like I had to sit further back from the monitor.

Yeah that’s an important benefit of higher resolutions. They make bigger screens more appealing. 4K can mean having a 42”-50” screen. 

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

I run DCS at 4K on an i7 9700K and GTX1080. Runs great! I get 55 FPS with the F-18.

Edited by Tiger-II

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."