Apple Vision Pro Support

Chidorin

Would be really nice to have Apple Vision Pro support, with hubs it will be possible to power and use different usb devices and the clarity it gives is some next level with AR capabilities. DCS can become the first apple sim and push standards in general, really looking forward to this gorgeous sim going apple!

Does the AVP even work with a Windows PC? I don’t think it even has a video cable. I don’t think it was made for this use.

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

On 2/4/2024 at 2:25 PM, SharpeXB said:

Does the AVP even work with a Windows PC? I don’t think it even has a video cable. I don’t think it was made for this use.

then what the hell is it for? I mean really is it just an AR Iphone? seems like it will be a flop, first Apple product to become a flop in a while

57 minutes ago, fastfed said:

then what the hell is it for? I mean really is it just an AR Iphone? seems like it will be a flop, first Apple product to become a flop in a while

Apple’s idea for this is what they call “Spacial Computing” Basically it’s a 3D iPad you wear on your face and control with your eyes and your fingers. 

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

I completely agree with you! Having Apple Vision Pro support would be a game-changer. The idea of powering and utilizing various USB devices through hubs, coupled with the remarkable clarity and augmented reality capabilities, is inspiring.

Chances are that someone will create a hack to allow use of the AVP as a PCVR.  Of course the question after that will be whether our GPUs can actually deal with that many pixels.  I’m guessing that right now, the answer will be barely, even with a 4090

• Like 2

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

I'm not in the market for Apple, but it seems to be selling, so there's that. It's become notable enough for The Guardian to write about it, so this might be good news for VR in general, but from what I heard, it's not even the best headset on the market right now. That said, I'd expect it to come to PC sooner or later, especially if it gets popular.

17 minutes ago, Dragon1-1 said:

That said, I'd expect it to come to PC sooner or later, especially if it gets popular.

I'm not sure about that. Apple are trying to market this as a standalone device. I don't think we will see a pc version. Mac connection yes for work productivity, but no PCVR for gaming or sims. 

• Like 1

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

So far, most Apple peripherals are reasonably cross-platform. If it's going to connect to a Mac, it'll also be possible for a PC to talk to it, unless this functionality is linked to some inane DRM scheme to explicitly lock that out. If it's just a matter of being able to talk to a PC, then it's quite likely it'll happen at some point, if only because PCs are used for productivity stuff quite often, too, and people with multiple machines will want to move their expensive headset between all their computers (say, a Windows office PC and a Mac workstation). Using it for gaming may require some atrocious middleware, but should not be impossible.

40 minutes ago, Dragon1-1 said:

So far, most Apple peripherals are reasonably cross-platform. If it's going to connect to a Mac, it'll also be possible for a PC to talk to it, unless this functionality is linked to some inane DRM scheme to explicitly lock that out. If it's just a matter of being able to talk to a PC, then it's quite likely it'll happen at some point, if only because PCs are used for productivity stuff quite often, too, and people with multiple machines will want to move their expensive headset between all their computers (say, a Windows office PC and a Mac workstation). Using it for gaming may require some atrocious middleware, but should not be impossible.

Would it be something theoretically possible via Virtual Desktop? 

https://www.uploadvr.com/virtual-desktop-and-ivry-building-apple-vision-pro-app-steamvr/

Virtual Desktop developer Guy Godin cautioned that while he has a Vision Pro in his possession and is working on a port, the differences in the tech stack compared to Android-based headsets will make it "a lot more complicated" than previous ports such as to Pico and is "nowhere near" a release. He expects it to take longer than a few months.

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled

Sounds like it's already close.

Who's going to post the first video with the AVP of DCS?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

The AVP seems unsuited to gaming if it lacks features like a video cable, DF rendering or ASW-like reprojection. And the fact that gaming is almost exclusively the realm of Windows PCs

Edited by SharpeXB

@SharpeXB

Well, as far as I can tell, Virtual Desktop has its own Motion Reprojection. I think it‘s not as good as ASW, but it‘s there.

You can also run Quad Views with VD, so apparently Meta allows the VD app to grab the eye tracking information from a Quest Pro. The DFR is then done in VD, right?

Quest Pro and Quest 3 don‘t have a video cable either.

So basically what I am saying is, VD or something like it for the Apple Vision Pro it is not completely unthinkable.

vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

image.png

5 minutes ago, Phantom711 said:

Quest Pro and Quest 3 don‘t have a video cable either.

Don’t those have link cables? I imagine streaming video is not ideal at that rate and resolution. I find it funny that UHD disc players TVs and monitors need hefty cables to carry high bandwidth video but somehow that same thing can travel through thin air 😆

The AVP has DFR, and the M2 chip is powerful enough to render reprojection on the device. Its a lot more powerful than the Q3 chip.

Which means you can save a lot of streaming bandwith, possibly more than on the Q3.

Edited by winghunter

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled

14 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

The AVP seems unsuited to gaming if it lacks features like a video cable, DF rendering or ASW-like reprojection. And the fact that gaming is almost exclusively the realm of Windows PCs

???

Just like the Q3 and similar, the AVP can stream using wifi.

DFR is basically dependent on eye tracking, which the AVP has and to say that Apple units have zero ability to be used for gaming is simply wrong.

23 minutes ago, Mr_sukebe said:

to say that Apple units have zero ability to be used for gaming is simply wrong.

I agree with you on this, but it might take quite a while before we get it. 

"Virtual Desktop developer Guy Godin cautioned that while he has a Vision Pro in his possession and is working on a port, the differences in the tech stack compared to Android-based headsets will make it "a lot more complicated" than previous ports such as to Pico and is "nowhere near" a release. He expects it to take longer than a few months."

https://www.uploadvr.com/virtual-desktop-and-ivry-building-apple-vision-pro-app-steamvr/

The other thing to consider is that Apple is quite restrictive on what apps it allows so hopefully they will see the potential. 

By the time AVP has good PCVR capabilities there may be better alternatives headsets. 

4 hours ago, Mr_sukebe said:

Just like the Q3 and similar, the AVP can stream using wifi.

Sure they can. Don’t you get much better quality with a cable? I see some reviewers bemoan the lack of an HDMI or such on the AVP. 

42 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

Sure they can. Don’t you get much better quality with a cable? I see some reviewers bemoan the lack of an HDMI or such on the AVP. 

I find that the link cable gives better quality than VD WiFi with my QP but I think it is because you can push the bitrate higher with the cable (960 vs 400 Mbps). However, the AVP has an M2 chip which is much more powerful than the QP or even Q3. In theory this could mean the bitrate could go higher with the AVP over WiFi (as far as I understand it anyway). 

The best option is still a DP cable as there is no compression. It's a shame Apple didn't include a thunderbolt 4 port to enable direct video connection. 

1 hour ago, SharpeXB said:

if you don’t genuinely know whether it makes a difference, why bother commenting?  It just adds noise.  There’s plenty of other threads that include user experiences of using wifi

7 minutes ago, Mr_sukebe said:

if you don’t genuinely know whether it makes a difference, why bother commenting?  It just adds noise.  There’s plenty of other threads that include user experiences of using wifi

Well I’m certainly not going to buy a $3,500 headset just to find out 😆