Question about the HUD Display STP navigation diamont and the shown Baro height

Nedum
Go to solution Solved by razo+r,

Hello,

my question is: How do I measure the right height, if I am flying the preset flight plan? What system/display should I use?

I am using the HUD Symbologies to fly the flight route.
But If I do so (overlapping the Diamond in the HUD (STP), the Horizon Line and the Flight Path Marker), all displays (HUD (Baro) and DED) showing a different elevation height. But If I do so, I should fly at the right height and the right flight direction, right?

The issue is, the HUD display shows a different Baro-Height in comparison with the DED height for my flight plan. We are talking about 1000+ feet of a difference.

The pictures blow are from the Instant Action Mission "Cold and Dark". You can see the Baro Data is aligned. DED show a planned elevation of 8000 feet. All HUD Nav Symbols are overlapping for the right direction and the right height, but I am 1,250 feet too low.

The higher I have to fly, the bigger the difference will become.

Is that a bug, or is there a way to do it the "right way" to negate such a big divergence?

Elevation difference_01.jpg

Elevation difference_02.jpg

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X3D, System-RAM: 64 GB DDR5, GPU: nVidia 4090, Monitor: LG 38" 3840*1600, VR-HMD: Pimax Crystal, OS: Windows 11Pro, 2*2TB Samsung M.2 SSD, HOTAS: TM Warthog, Paddles: MfG.

• Solution

Here's your problem, you don't know how to use the baro altimeter.

Most western countries do NOT set their baro altimeter to the QFE, which is what you did. On ground, it is normal to set it to the QNH, which in that mission is 29.92, not 28.28.

If you were to correct your altimeter to the correct setting, I guarantee you, you will end up at the correct altitude.

If you want to know your height, use the radar altimeter instead. It's there for a reason.

Also, another thing for you to learn: Height and altitude are different things.

Altitude is what your baro altimeter shows, and it's your altitude above the pressure altitude you have set. If you set QNH, that pressure altitude is sea level.

Height is your altitude above ground -> Height. If you were to fly straight and level over a mountain, your altitude remains constant, but your height decreases.

So if you want to follow a flight plan, ensure that you set the proper pressure into your altimeter and use that to navigate. You should not use QFE to navigate around.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for your rude explanation. Sir, yes Sir. 🫡

Edited by Nedum
  • Like 1

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X3D, System-RAM: 64 GB DDR5, GPU: nVidia 4090, Monitor: LG 38" 3840*1600, VR-HMD: Pimax Crystal, OS: Windows 11Pro, 2*2TB Samsung M.2 SSD, HOTAS: TM Warthog, Paddles: MfG.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/15/2024 at 10:34 AM, razo+r said:

Also, another thing for you to learn: Height and altitude are different things.

Altitude is what your baro altimeter shows, and it's your altitude above the pressure altitude you have set. ...

Height is your altitude above ground -> Height.

Can you provide a reference for these definitions of height and altitude? 

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

On 3/4/2024 at 10:25 PM, razo+r said:

Ok. I had in mind the more general definition of height given on that IVAO page, i.e. the distance above any datum you choose, which is often the ground but not exclusively. 

Edit: Also the wiki article you linked to says altitude is not so rigidly defined either:  

Aviation altitude is measured using either mean sea level (MSL) or local ground level (above ground level, or AGL) as the reference datum.

Edited by Machalot

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

3 hours ago, Machalot said:

Edit: Also the wiki article you linked to says altitude is not so rigidly defined either:  

It's not that it's not rigidly defined, it more depends on the local procedures. 

In the vast majority of locations, QNH, altitude above sea level, is used. At the same time, in just a handfull countries, QFE, height above aerodrome, is still used.  

However, generally speaking, altitude is more associated with sea level while height is either above ground or above aerodrome, depending on which instrument you use. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Height#In_aviation

Edited by razo+r

On 2/15/2024 at 3:05 PM, Nedum said:

Hello,

my question is: How do I measure the right height, if I am flying the preset flight plan? What system/display should I use?

I am using the HUD Symbologies to fly the flight route.
But If I do so (overlapping the Diamond in the HUD (STP), the Horizon Line and the Flight Path Marker), all displays (HUD (Baro) and DED) showing a different elevation height. But If I do so, I should fly at the right height and the right flight direction, right?

The issue is, the HUD display shows a different Baro-Height in comparison with the DED height for my flight plan. We are talking about 1000+ feet of a difference.

The pictures blow are from the Instant Action Mission "Cold and Dark". You can see the Baro Data is aligned. DED show a planned elevation of 8000 feet. All HUD Nav Symbols are overlapping for the right direction and the right height, but I am 1,250 feet too low.

The higher I have to fly, the bigger the difference will become.

Is that a bug, or is there a way to do it the "right way" to negate such a big divergence?

Elevation difference_01.jpg

Elevation difference_02.jpg

Not everything is a bug, and most of the time is user error.

Razo+r explained what you didn´t know (which is valid) you don´t need to reply like you´re being offended.

Edited by fagulha
Typo

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.