How to get DCS to recognise hardware after it is unplugged without quitting the game?

Hi folks,

I'm aware there is a "rescan devices" button in settings that picks up trackir when it drops out for whatever reason and you don't want to quite and restart the game, but is there a way of DCS doing the same for controllers that get unplugged or drop out? Like joystick, rudder pedals etc? The "rescan devices" button seems to have no effect on picking up controllers so I always have to restart DCS. Any way round this?

Many Thanks!

Hi folks,

I'm aware there is a "rescan devices" button in settings that picks up trackir when it drops out for whatever reason and you don't want to quite and restart the game, but is there a way of DCS doing the same for controllers that get unplugged or drop out? Like joystick, rudder pedals etc? The "rescan devices" button seems to have no effect on picking up controllers so I always have to restart DCS. Any way round this?

Many Thanks!
That's strange, because the rescan for my peripherals works for me. Does Windows actually see them?
Cheers!

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

Afaik, this is an issue of TrackIR and not of DCS. TrackIR needs to be run before the Application you intend to use it with is started. Also, the Device you intend to use to reset the POV in TrackIR for example, needs to be plugged in before you stard TrackIR.

This weirdness of TrackIR does not only affect DCS but also some racing games I use it with.

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

49 minutes ago, Hiob said:

Afaik, this is an issue of TrackIR and not of DCS. TrackIR needs to be run before the Application you intend to use it with is started. Also, the Device you intend to use to reset the POV in TrackIR for example, needs to be plugged in before you stard TrackIR.

This weirdness of TrackIR does not only affect DCS but also some racing games I use it with.

No no, sorry I think you misread - I CAN re-scan for trackir no problem... it picks it up and starts working again. It's when a controller such as a joystick is unplugged, I have to quit the game and restart after re-plugging the controller as DCS loses it and clicking "rescan devices" does not pick up any joysticks or rudder pedals etc. 

3 hours ago, CommandT said:

No no, sorry I think you misread - I CAN re-scan for trackir no problem... it picks it up and starts working again. It's when a controller such as a joystick is unplugged, I have to quit the game and restart after re-plugging the controller as DCS loses it and clicking "rescan devices" does not pick up any joysticks or rudder pedals etc. 

Ah, ok.

Hotplug enabled?

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Yeah hot plugin enabled. Does not recognise controllers upon rebooting or plugging them in whilst in game. 
I'll ask again. Does Windows see them when you hotplug? I guess not since you mentioned rebooting. Now how do you expect DCS to see them, when Windows does not? That's what we need to trouble shoot.

11 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

That's what we need to trouble shoot.

This is a good point...

...but, I might go a step further.  If the question is "What should you/we/I be troubleshooting?", perhaps a better answer is "Why do the device(s) disconnect to begin with?".  I wouldn't think of that as normal behavior, regardless of circumstances, and if it weren't a problem then you wouldn't need to worry about what to do when it happens.

Kind of like playing chess...don't get yourself into a bad position, and you don't have to worry about how to get out of it.

Just a thought.

Edited by kksnowbear
  • Like 1

Free professional advice: Do not rely upon any advice concerning computers from anyone who uses the terms "beast" or "rocking" to refer to computer hardware.  Just...don't.  You've been warned.

While we're at it, people should stop using the term "uplift" to convey "increase".  This is a technical endeavor, we're not in church or at the movies - and it's science, not drama.

This is a good point...
...but, I might go a step further.  If the question is "What should you be troubleshooting", perhaps a better answer is why the device(s) disconnect to begin with.  I wouldn't think of that as normal behavior, regardless of circumstances, and if it weren't a problem then you wouldn't need to worry about what to do when it happens.
Kind of like playing chess...don't get yourself into a bad position, and you don't have to worry about how to get out of it.
Just a thought.
Totally agree! Just wanted to keep it simple.

50 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

Totally agree! Just wanted to keep it simple. emoji6.png

Of course. But it would certainly seem that "simple" would be to deal with the problem at the source 😉

Maybe it's just the way I think...but my first thought upon reading the first post was "But why do the things disconnect in the first place?"

In fact, it seems so obvious that I felt as if I must be overlooking or assuming something I shouldn't...

...but, if that's the case, I can't see what that might be (at least thus far).

Perhaps the OP would be good enough to enlighten us.

Free professional advice: Do not rely upon any advice concerning computers from anyone who uses the terms "beast" or "rocking" to refer to computer hardware.  Just...don't.  You've been warned.

While we're at it, people should stop using the term "uplift" to convey "increase".  This is a technical endeavor, we're not in church or at the movies - and it's science, not drama.

Of course. But it would certainly seem that "simple" would be to deal with the problem at the source
Maybe it's just the way I think...but my first thought upon reading the first post was "But why do the things disconnect in the first place?"
In fact, it seems so obvious that I felt as if I must be overlooking or assuming something I shouldn't...
...but, if that's the case, I can't see what that might be (at least thus far).
Perhaps the OP would be good enough to enlighten us.

Totally! We're on the same page buddy! It was my next go to step. I just wanted OP the be aware that DCS won't see <profanity> if Windows ain't seeing it.

16 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

DCS won't see <profanity> if Windows ain't seeing it.

Indeed lol

• Like 1

On 2/17/2024 at 10:11 AM, MAXsenna said:

I'll ask again. Does Windows see them when you hotplug? I guess not since you mentioned rebooting. Now how do you expect DCS to see them, when Windows does not? That's what we need to trouble shoot.

What do you mean if Windows sees them? I mean I'm confused why it wouldn't? If I unplug and replug my joystick whilst in game, and it is no longer recognised by DCS, but upon rebooting DCS it's recognised again, then surely Windows has recognised it? When I plug something in I get the typical USB sound play to tell me I've just plugged something in. It's just that DCS won't recognise it - for example if I forgot to plug in/ switch on my joystick before starting DCS and only do it after DCS boots, or if I'm trouble shooting my joystick whilst in game and require it to be turned off/ on (I won't explain the details here, it's a new force feedback stick and I am trouble shooting some stuff which requires it to be rebooted and recalibrated, which makes it drop out of DCS). Hope that makes sense. 

At the risk of speaking for MAXsenna, I believe he's asking is if Windows recognizes the devices when you re-pug them (even if DCS doesn't).

He's asking basically as a test: Windows should 'see' the devices when you replug them, and if that doesn't happen, then it points in a different direction from a troubleshooting perspective.  If Windows recognizes the devices when you replug them, then it's a problem that's almost certainly confined to DCS itself.  If Windows does not see them on replug, then there could be something going on in Windows which is preventing DCS from seeing them.  If Windows doesn't 'see' them, then DCS can't.  The Windows 'layer' underlies the controller(s) being available to other stuff (games).

As for my question about resolving the need to reboot, rather than worry about why DCS won't recognize devices:  It isn't common to unplug them (at all, really)...I do understand if you're working with the new stick - but can the stuff you're working on be resolved of itself (outside DCS), before moving on to DCS?  Just a thought.

As far as forgetting to plug in/switch on the joystick...is this something you do often?  Again, it just doesn't seem common (to me) and I'm trying to understand why it happens.  For example, do you change joysticks between computers/consoles/etc such that you have to remember to swap it, possibly?

Both myself and MAXsenna are trying to figure out what might be done to overcome the problem you're facing - but, of course, solving any problem requires actually understanding the problem (often in detail, I might add) 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CommandT said:

What do you mean if Windows sees them? I mean I'm confused why it wouldn't? If I unplug and replug my joystick whilst in game, and it is no longer recognised by DCS, but upon rebooting DCS it's recognised again, then surely Windows has recognised it? When I plug something in I get the typical USB sound play to tell me I've just plugged something in. It's just that DCS won't recognise it - for example if I forgot to plug in/ switch on my joystick before starting DCS and only do it after DCS boots, or if I'm trouble shooting my joystick whilst in game and require it to be turned off/ on (I won't explain the details here, it's a new force feedback stick and I am trouble shooting some stuff which requires it to be rebooted and recalibrated, which makes it drop out of DCS). Hope that makes sense. 

I think the confusion stems from your choice of words. (Re-)booting usually refers to an OS (so basically resetting the whole computer) whereas referring to an application you would normally use (re-)start or (re-)load.

But I guess by now it is clear that you really meant just closing and restarting DCS. Maybe the Hotplug feature is broken (or intentionally shut off for causing problems - which it did in some cases). Only ED can clarify that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kksnowbear said:

At the risk of speaking for MAXsenna, I believe he's asking is if Windows recognizes the devices when you re-pug them (even if DCS doesn't).

He's asking basically as a test: Windows should 'see' the devices when you replug them, and if that doesn't happen, then it points in a different direction from a troubleshooting perspective.  If Windows recognizes the devices when you replug them, then it's a problem that's almost certainly confined to DCS itself.  If Windows does not see them on replug, then there could be something going on in Windows which is preventing DCS from seeing them.  If Windows doesn't 'see' them, then DCS can't.  The Windows 'layer' underlies the controller(s) being available to other stuff (games).

As for my question about resolving the need to reboot, rather than worry about why DCS won't recognize devices:  It isn't common to unplug them (at all, really)...I do understand if you're working with the new stick - but can the stuff you're working on be resolved of itself (outside DCS), before moving on to DCS?  Just a thought.

As far as forgetting to plug in/switch on the joystick...is this something you do often?  Again, it just doesn't seem common (to me) and I'm trying to understand why it happens.  For example, do you change joysticks between computers/consoles/etc such that you have to remember to swap it, possibly?

Both myself and MAXsenna are trying to figure out what might be done to overcome the problem you're facing - but, of course, solving any problem requires actually understanding the problem (often in detail, I might add) 🙂

Thanks, like I say - Windows knows the joystick is plugged in when I plug it in. DCS does not, unless it was plugged in and working before I started DCS. After that point the only way to get DCS to recognise it is to restart DCS, then it "sees" it.

As far as your question as to why I am in a position to constantly have to "replug" my joystick mid-game, that is a completely separate topic and is not the issue at hand. Like I said, I'm testing out a new forc feedback stick and I had/ have to troubleshoot some problems with it. This requires it to be fully rebooted and recalibrated, which is effectively like unplugging it and replugging it. I just got sick and tired of constant;y having to quit DCS and restart it after I had to carry out a reboot/ recalibration of the joystick. 

The other issue is, because this stick has a power supply on/off switch, I occasionally forget to turn it on before starting DCS, and then have to restart DCS in order to get it to recognise the joystick because if I only turn it on when in game, it's too late for DCS to see it at that point. Has to be turned on before.

I did a test with the Virpil throttles I have and they get picked up ok by DCS after I unplug/ replug them. 

I'll speak to the developer of the stick regarding the issue.

I have my rudder pedals, track ir, throttle and stick all plugged into a powered usb-hub.

Track IR sometimes has to be reset or switched off then on again when it bugs out. The bit I don’t understand is my throttle, stick and rudder will sometimes disconnect and reconnect themselves too. Usually happens while loading, sometimes randomly after I’ve been on for a while. I get the disconnect/reconnect sounds start to go off and an on screen notification in DCS to say they’ve done so. I thought it was maybe a windows bug or something wrong with my setup. 

35 minutes ago, CommandT said:

As far as your question as to why I am in a position to constantly have to "replug" my joystick mid-game, that is a completely separate topic and is not the issue at hand.

It's a cause-and-effect relationship.  Understanding that matters, because the reality is that you cannot separate the two.

In my professional opinion, you're trying to solve the symptoms of a problem, not the problem itself.  It's a lot like me expecting a doctor to fix my lungs, even as I continue to smoke.  (Just an example; in reality I quit over 12 years ago).

In any event, best of luck to you.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, kksnowbear said:

It's a cause-and-effect relationship.  Understanding that matters, because the reality is that you cannot separate the two.

In my professional opinion, you're trying to solve the symptoms of a problem, not the problem itself.  It's a lot like me expecting a doctor to fix my lungs, even as I continue to smoke.  (Just an example; in reality I quit over 12 years ago).

In any event, best of luck to you.

I'm sorry but this really is just not true. What I'm trying to solve by calibrating my joystick is a completely unrelated problem. It's part of the testing and set up process. It's completely as expected. This is not some issue that I don't know how to solve. If I wanted to, I can leave it as it is just now and never have to recalibrate or reboot it mid-game. 

DCS not picking it up is a completely separate issue. Like I said, imagine I don't have any issues with my stick. Imagine I just forgot to put the power switch on before loading DCS (I understand this might be a foreign concept to anyone who uses normal center spring-loaded sticks but this is more like a sim racing steering wheel which has a power switch)... how can I switch it on whilst DCS is running if I had forgotten to do it beforehand? Please don't say the solution is to eliminate the symptom... i.e. not forget to switch it on in the first place before loading DCS.

I'm sorry if I've frustrated you and my point wasn't clear.  I won't say what you asked me not to (but TBH it doesn't matter whether I say it).

Regardless, it doesn't appear the solution lies with DCS.  I could be wrong and I'm completely prepared to face that outcome, should it wind up being true.

Again, I do sincerely wish you the best of luck with your issue 🙂

Edited by kksnowbear
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, kksnowbear said:

I'm sorry if I've frustrated you and my point wasn't clear.  I won't say what you asked me not to (but TBH it doesn't matter whether I say it).

Regardless, it doesn't appear the solution lies with DCS.  I could be wrong and I'm completely prepared to face that outcome, should it wind up being true.

Again, I do sincerely wish you the best of luck with your issue 🙂

Thanks! I'll post here on the forum if and when I figure it out 🙂 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CommandT said:

Thanks! I'll post here on the forum if and when I figure it out 🙂 

If you remember to. 😉

I don’t think there’s a way to ‘refresh’ DCS properly without re-loading it? I mess things up at times and have to reload so my stick and trackIR are recognised. Gets worse the older we get ya know.