Compressor stall

Q3ark
Go to solution Solved by Hulkbust44,

I’ve been enjoying abusing the F14 A and stalling the engines, is it possible to do the same to the hornet or did they design in protections to prevent compressor stalls?

Basically I want to intentionally induce a compressor stall for the laughs.

Edited by Q3ark

29 minutes ago, Hulkbust44 said:

Not really a thing on these modern engines, the only time it's even mentioned in the aircraft manual is in relation to ingestion of ice.

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G (2022) using Tapatalk

That’s a shame lol, thanks dude.

I’m just experimenting with the modules, seeing how much abuse they can take before something gives, I’m doing it for the curiosity….. and the laughs

Edited by Q3ark

True, but compressor stalls still happened sometimes.

Here is an excerpt from the flight accident report on how the j-5235 was lost:

During this training flight on 14. october 2015, the F/A-18D Hornet was to practice air combat against two F-5s.
When the hornet reached the minimum safety altitude (so-called hard deck), the pilot changed  the target. He wanted to pull away to the upper right with full afterburner deployment in order to fight the other F-5. The aircraft began to turn to the left with an unintentional rolling motion. The pilot responded by changing control from right to left to stop the roll before entering the clouds. At 11.29 a.m. and at an altitude of approx. 2,280 m above sea level, the pilot received the acoustic warning "engine left, engine left" and at the same time the warning "L STALL" (stall in the left engine) was shown on the cockpit display. The pilot did not take the immediate action prescribed for this case. (In this case, the flight manual stipulates that the affected engine should be put into idle by changing the position of the power lever, which leads to a reduction of the pressure in the engine and thus to the elimination of the stall as the cause of the power loss. )
As a result, the aircraft continued to lose altitude and dived into the clouds. A few seconds later, at an altitude of approx. 1,855 m above sea level, the pilot activated the ejection seat

The technical expert concludes in his report that a combination of various factors led to the stall in the left engine and ultimately to the loss of the stable flight attitude necessary for a possible further flight with only one engine:
1.  flight at very low speeds and thus high angles of attack;
2. aggressive maneuvering with rapid changes in angle of attack and abrupt power lever movements.

Here is another one, which was recovered the proper way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFLbAUkCNFY

• Like 1