DCS crashes regularly since upgrading to v2.9 OpenBeta

Granny
Go to solution Solved by BIGNEWY,

I updated from v2.8 stable to v2.9 open beta about a month ago and have since started getting regular crashes. Screen just locks up, visual tears, hour glass timer shows up, and I have to Control/Alt/Delete to bring up task manager and quit DCS.  There is no particular pattern but seems to happen roughly an hour into game play. Happens in standalone and Multiplayer.  I'm using DCS MT in VR with Oculus Q2.  . Haven't experimented with 2D. 

I've been doing a lot of F-16 Air to Ground, using TGP and Mavericks...maybe two video feeds is taxing my system?   My system in on the lower end for VR, but I keep my graphics setting low and it seems to handle it pretty well. At least it did with v2.8 stable.  Crashes generally occur with no prior warning, like studder or tearing. It just stops.

System Specs,  Asus Tuff Gaming 2 B550 Mother Board,  Ryzen 5 5500 CPU (slightly over clocked),  MSI GTX 1080TI GPU (also slightly overclocked).  Most recent log is attached. dcs.log

Hello Granny,

I would say it is the OC on probally the GPU. have you tested both CPU/GPU for stability with any stresser programs like OCCT??

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

9 hours ago, Granny said:

System Specs,  Asus Tuff Gaming 2 B550 Mother Board,  Ryzen 5 5500 CPU (slightly over clocked),  MSI GTX 1080TI GPU (also slightly overclocked).  Most recent log is attached.

9 hours ago, The_Nephilim said:

Hello Granny,

I would say it is the OC on probally the GPU. have you tested both CPU/GPU for stability with any stresser programs like OCCT??

i agree with the_nephilim. many people have posted issues when using OC. a quick test is to run the driver in DEBUG.

https://developer.nvidia.com/docs/drive/drive-os/6.0.5/public/drive-os-linux-sdk/common/topics/window_system_stub/EnablingDebugMode88.html

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

Well an Unstable OC is likely the issue does not mean it can not be OC, it just has to be truly stable. the thing with the 1080Ti they usually do not run too stable with a OC on the Core, you can boost the memory a bit but Core usually likes to be under 100mhz..

I would stress test both the CPU and GPU and see what happens. I am not familiar with debug mode what will that do Silverdevil?

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

I have OC my CPU using Ryzen Master, it just the basic Precision Boost Overdrive setting in gaming mode, and stress tested with Ryzen Master itself.  I OC my GPU using MSI afterburner using the curve it calculated for core clock and +200mhz boost on the memory clock. I did not stress test this but found things to get unstable at about +300mhz OC so I backed it down to 200 it worked fine. I've been using these setting for at least 6 months and DCS ran completely stable in 2.7, and 2.8 (MT).  After v2.9 came out I went from v2.8 stable to 2.9 Openbeta.  That's when the crashes started happening.

11 hours ago, silverdevil said:

i agree with the_nephilim. many people have posted issues when using OC. a quick test is to run the driver in DEBUG.

https://developer.nvidia.com/docs/drive/drive-os/6.0.5/public/drive-os-linux-sdk/common/topics/window_system_stub/EnablingDebugMode88.html

Can't get the debug tool to work.  I put the command in terminal and its doesn't recognize it.  Does my 1080Ti predate the debug tool?

6 hours ago, Granny said:

Can't get the debug tool to work.  I put the command in terminal and its doesn't recognize it.  Does my 1080Ti predate the debug tool?

IDK never used it..  but for kicks and giggles try to remove the OC on your GPU and try DCS.. your OC might be a bit too aggressive and is not stable for DCS 2.9.. 

Edited by The_Nephilim

Hi,

I don't know any of my friends who have 2.9 without crashing. There is something wrong with the last two beta versions.
However, limit the overclocking of the graphics, you have a GraphicsCore.dll error there is the graphics culprit.

🖥️MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, Kingston 3600 MHz 64 Gb, i5 12600K, Gigabyte RTX 4090, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus,🕹️VKB NXT Premium.

• ED Team
  • Solution
On 2/18/2024 at 3:06 AM, Granny said:

I updated from v2.8 stable to v2.9 open beta about a month ago and have since started getting regular crashes. Screen just locks up, visual tears, hour glass timer shows up, and I have to Control/Alt/Delete to bring up task manager and quit DCS.  There is no particular pattern but seems to happen roughly an hour into game play. Happens in standalone and Multiplayer.  I'm using DCS MT in VR with Oculus Q2.  . Haven't experimented with 2D. 

I've been doing a lot of F-16 Air to Ground, using TGP and Mavericks...maybe two video feeds is taxing my system?   My system in on the lower end for VR, but I keep my graphics setting low and it seems to handle it pretty well. At least it did with v2.8 stable.  Crashes generally occur with no prior warning, like studder or tearing. It just stops.

System Specs,  Asus Tuff Gaming 2 B550 Mother Board,  Ryzen 5 5500 CPU (slightly over clocked),  MSI GTX 1080TI GPU (also slightly overclocked).  Most recent log is attached. dcs.log

Custom Mods
BRONCO_V1.24,A-4E-C please remove

Errors
Hot plug Events
Disable hot plug in your CONTROLS section.

There is a GPU-related error
(Re-)install the latest GPU drivers. Don't overclock your GPU or RAM.

The crash occurred inside GraphicsCore.dll.
Try a !repair.
Remove your custom mods.
Delete Saved Games\DCS\fxo and metashaders2 and try again.
Next, delete %LOCALAPPDATA%\TEMP\DCS and try again.
Next, try renaming Saved Games\DCS to DCS.old and try again.

14 minutes ago, petsild said:

Hi,

I don't know any of my friends who have 2.9 without crashing. There is something wrong with the last two beta versions.
However, limit the overclocking of the graphics, you have a GraphicsCore.dll error there is the graphics culprit.

Most of them can be explained by unofficial mods breaking DCS, unstable overclocks, or out dated drivers. But best to have them create a thread and attach the dcs log so we can check it. 

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

13 hours ago, Granny said:

open nvidia control panel. and help. and debug.

null

image.png

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

Tried again today and yesterday, no over clocking.  About and hour of flight time single player yesterday,  and an hour on multiplayer today.  So far so good, no crashes.  Thought I needed to OC to get the most out of my system but it doesn't seem to make much difference.  

2 hours ago, Granny said:

Tried again today and yesterday, no over clocking.  About and hour of flight time single player yesterday,  and an hour on multiplayer today.  So far so good, no crashes.  Thought I needed to OC to get the most out of my system but it doesn't seem to make much difference.  

Well like I was saying OC'ing is not bad as long as it is a stable OC. and to get that takes alot of testing and trial and error.. those auto tunes are a nice feature but they usually overdo it.