What is the most typical way to capture footage? Basics.

Moxica

I still havent made a single DCS movie yet, but this is what I figured:
(I once capured from VR, and it was a shaky mess)

I fly in VR, so I'd have to save a track file?
I'd have to change monitor resolution to use full screen flat PC monitor as source?
I'd have to capture same track multiple times from different angles?

Will that be the most usual way to do it, or am I missing some more efficient steps?

(Not asking about fancy camera positions and shortcuts for those. And I know how to edit movies once I have the footage.)

Edited by Moxica

ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING - PNY GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X  - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 64Gb RAM - 2x2Tb M2 - Win11 - HP Reverb g2 - Oculus Quest 2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - 2X Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

1 minute ago, Moxica said:

I still havent made a single movie, but this is what I figured:

I fly in VR, so I'd have to save a track file?

You can, but don't have to. It depends what result you want. 

Simple gameplay footage? No track needed. 

Cinematics? Tracks recommended. 

I'd have to capture same track multiple times from different angles?

Again, depends on what you want to do. 

Will that be the most usual way to do it, or am I missing some more efficient steps?

Maybe this helps: https://youtu.be/LVAMQe7eR1E?si=1QkaYnGF7dLedNHm

• Thanks 1

I fly in VR capture the cockpit live record with OBS. I fly my missions in my own dedicated server as those tracks generally work better.

I then rerun the track as many times as I need to, to get the footage I need. And then edit together. To get something like this.

• Like 1

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

I'd like to do a cinematic.
I tested on a short mission yesterday.
But on replay, all the Gazelle's missiles went straight into the ground.
Looks like I can not use the replay method

ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING - PNY GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X  - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 64Gb RAM - 2x2Tb M2 - Win11 - HP Reverb g2 - Oculus Quest 2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - 2X Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

I use openxr toolkit and “motion smoothing” in one of his tabs (or something like that, i forget how its calling) and have a pretty good results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I7 13900K | 128Gb | RTX 4090 | NVME 2Tb + SSD 512Gb + SSD 240Gb x2 | Warthog+VPC Warbrd+VPC Warbrd rudder pedals | WinWing MIP | Oculus Quest 3 | Benq 28" 4k x2 | Gametrix JetSeat

6 hours ago, Moxica said:

Although they’ve made some fixes lately sometimes the replays can be buggy. 

• Like 1

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

10 hours ago, Moxica said:

I'd like to do a cinematic.
I tested on a short mission yesterday.

Again, you can download the dedicated server program (if you got 200 ekstra gig laying around) 

Dedicated server tracks together with the track improvements in 2.9 means they work more than they fail.

Even missions lasting an hour seems to have tracks working.

When you run a mission on the dedicated server. 2 tracks are made.  1 in in your dcs tracks/multiplayer folder and one in the tracks folder in the dedicated server folder. I've found that it varies a bit which of the tracks work best. Sometimes the one in your dcs folder sometimes the one in the dedicated server folder.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Gunfreak said:

Again, you can download the dedicated server program (if you got 200 ekstra gig laying around) 

Dedicated server tracks together with the track improvements in 2.9 means they work more than they fail.

When you run a mission on the dedicated server. 2 tracks are made.  1 in in your dcs tracks/multiplayer folder and one in the tracks folder in the dedicated server folder. I've found that it varies a bit which of the tracks work best. Sometimes the one in your dcs folder sometimes the one in the dedicated server folder.

Sounds like rocking good news!
Thanks a lot. I had no idea!  🙂

5 minutes ago, Moxica said:

Sounds like rocking good news!
Thanks a lot. I had no idea!  🙂

Here's a video using tracks from dedicated server.

It's a 25 minutes and has quite a few things going on.

This was a 1 hour and 20 minutes mission. This was before the 2.9 improvements. Using multiplayer track it all worked the entire mission. 

Granted the F16 seems better than some other aircraft. When it comes to having working tracks.

4 hours ago, Gunfreak said:

Are you running the server program on the same machine as the client for this approach? Or do I need a separate server PC?

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

7 hours ago, sthompson said:

Are you running the server program on the same machine as the client for this approach? Or do I need a separate server PC?

I use the same PC. I have the dedicated server installed on my C drive and DCS  on my  E drive.