FPS limiter causes stuttering.

Hello. When I set some FPS limit bellow the maximum, it causes stuttering. See the video.

Game version 2.9.3.51704

My system:

MB: Asus ROG STRIX Z790-H GAMING WIFI

CPU: Core I9-13900KF

GPU: MSI Ventus RTX2080 TI 11G OC

RAM: 64GB G.Skill DDR5 Ripjaws S5 5600MHz CL28 Dual Channel Kit 2x 32GB Black

SSD: HD SAMSUNG SSD 980 PRO 1TB, PCIe 4.0 NVMe

Yes, it does (at least in some cases). I brought that up earlier in the conversation about stuttering in 2.9 but I don't know if the devs are looking into that. Usually they don't give such detailed feedback. 

Generally I would advise to use a third party tool to limit the fps. Either directly via the Nvidia Control Panel or (preferable) via the Afterburner/RivaStatistics if ypu happen to have that installed.

The idea behind that is to keep this particular task away from the main render thread. Just in case.

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Turn on Vsync to cap your frame rate to your screen. Leave the in-game slide at some higher value you won’t hit (ie Off)

Unless you just have that off for the test 

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

1 minute ago, SharpeXB said:

Turn on Vsync to cap your frame rate to your screen. Leave the in-game slide at some higher value you won’t hit (ie Off)

Unless you just have that off for the test 

I use FreeSync. Thus I am not using Vsync.

Note: When I set FPS limit to 90 it more like holds the 60fps Still without stutters.

I have 144hz display with FreeSync (Gsync Compatibile) I use no external graphics settings. No mods, no custom shaders e.t.c... Vsync off.

Edited by AJaromir

Some clarification. Freesync is the open alternative of g-sync. It is independent from V-sync and has a different functionality. V-sync can be enabled on driver level or in the application.

When your fps „lock“ into 60 Hz it suggests, that V-sync is still enabled somewhere. If it fluctuate around 60, it is probably off. That wasn’t exactly clear from your post.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Game restart fixed the issue partially.

Once I deleted the "fxo" and "metashaders2" the issue have been fixed completely.

But this happened like 2nd time after the latest update. And always fixed by deleting those folders.

Edited by AJaromir

9 minutes ago, AJaromir said:

Once I deleted the "fxo" and "metashaders2" the issue have been fixed completely.

Interesting. There should be no relation between an FPS limiter and shaders.🧐

Edited by Flappie

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

2 minutes ago, Flappie said:

Interesting. There should be no relation between an FPS limiter and shaders.🧐

Literally I have no idea. Maybe there is some hidden cause which I am not able to find out yet.

4 minutes ago, AJaromir said:

Literally I have no idea. Maybe there is some hidden cause which I am not able to find out yet.

O.k. I take it back.

The second test was not the same mission. The first one was the UH-H free flight in Persian Gulf in Instant action.

The second one was in NTTR.

I tried the PG again and the issue is still there. In NTTR it is not.

Is possible that is caused by core parking?

Like PG is more resouces demanding than NTTR.

When the FPS limit is set to 60, there is message CPU bound (main thread and rendering thread - switching rapidly). When I increase the FPS limit to 90, there is message CPU bound (fps limit) or CPU bound (rendering thread).

When I unlock the FPS, there is "GPU bound" only.

The higher FPS limit I set, the more stutters occur. When I set it to 30, it is ridiculous.

PG UH-1H Free Flight:

FPS limited to 30: it states "CPU BOUND (FPS limit)"

image.png

FPS limited to 110: it states "GPU bound".

image.png

My CPU is a Ryzen 3700X and I don't experience the stutter issue a lot of Intel hybrid CPU owners get with MT.

It could be a consequence of core parking, yes.

Edited by Flappie

8 hours ago, AJaromir said:

I use FreeSync. Thus I am not using Vsync.

Yeah I suppose that’s best left off using a VRR screen. I don’t know why I used to have that enabled with G-Sync

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Flying at about 450 kts at 200ft AGL I noticed stutter with the ingame fps limited. I went back and limited the fps through the nVidia Control Panel to the same value (personal preference) and the stutters were gone.
Note: It wasn't like storage or cpu limitation/bottleneck stutters. It was more like frame drops on a stream or something like it.

Some other in game fps limiters are inferior to the control panel on several aspects as well, but maybe there is something to take a look there.

• Like 1

Ok, I asked because I wanted to know if it could be the consequence of the one-core-at-100% MT issue.

AFAIK, your 10400 is not affected by the MT core issue. Do you confirm?

Edited by Flappie
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Flappie said:

Ok, I asked because I wanted to know if it could be the consequence of the one-core-at-100% MT issue.

AFAIK, your 10400 is not affected by the MT core issue. Do you confirm?

I confirm. I don't have and never had the core issue.

• Thanks 1