Air to Air refueling - being driven by the boom instead of driving the boom

As many real life pilots who tried AAR in DCS claimed that its much easier in real life than in DCS, I was wondering if there were any plans to implement the forces involved of the interconnection of the boom and the jet. I found this video of an F117 pilot talking about AAR. What he is basically saying:

A one or two tons of force holding you in place and driving the connected jet around. You dont have to be particularly precise on the throttle.

If we can get some more immersion on that part and with that a relief on the phase being connected to the boom, ED could implement a collision model for the boom to make refueling harder at another point of the process 😉

Here is the video: (time 33:45)

• Like 9

Thx for sharing!

He's also talking about AAR using a drogue (time 32:50). When approaching the drogue the airflow of the aircraft (Jaguar in this case) will push the drogue away. A nice little addition to make it even harder in DCS.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Yeah, I noticed. But I would not put it in the same thread as being driven by the boom. Being driven by the boom is just a direct connection, that for my limited physical and programming understanding, should not be as hard to implement, compared to a drogue being driven by an approaching jet that is able to drive the drogue in a passive way due to its position manipulating the air flow.

For the original topic: Being driven by the boom.  Its seems like its  a break away force for the jet from the boom, and the amount of force a certain control input would generate, in comparison to the force that the boom can apply to the jet to drive it around. Feels to me like a little more straight forward, calculations wise. But I might be totally mistaken of course 😅

Edited by darkman222
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I've read that tankers pulled damaged aircraft in some cases with the boom. At least a Phantom was pulled once. Also there is a release switch on some aircraft so the boom seems to attach mechanically. Speaking for such a feature.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Whirley said:

I've read that tankers pulled damaged aircraft in some cases with the boom. At least a Phantom was pulled once. Also there is a release switch on some aircraft so the boom seems to attach mechanically. Speaking for such a feature.

In one instance an F4 was completely out of fuel, has 1 last try to hook up to the boom. He overshot. Pulled back on the throttle and was about to end up way behind the tanker. When the boom operator shoved the boom into the refueling port and hooked the F4 stopping the 13 ton F4 from gliding away. And started refueling just as the F4 was at zero fuel.

• Like 3

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

They said they are doing the hose and drogue physics so maybe the boom as well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45