Computer Upgrade Questions

My current system specs are:

System Model    Alienware Aurora R7
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3192 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)

Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    64.0 GB

HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

I upgraded my graphics card over a year ago to NVIDIA 3080 and power supply.

I was wanting to upgrade my processor to an i9 9th gen however I found out my motherboard on the R7 is not compatible with anything above an i7. During my research on why the computer would not turn on with the i9 installed, if read something that the NVIDIA 3080 is not fully compatible with the motherboard either. Does anyone know if this is true, am I only getting partial benefit from the 3080 card?

Would going from an i7 to an i9 be much better? 

My fps in multiplayer is in the 50-60s. I believe was getting 72 fps previously.

52 minutes ago, outhaus said:

My current system specs are:

System Model    Alienware Aurora R7
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3192 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)

Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    64.0 GB

HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

I upgraded my graphics card over a year ago to NVIDIA 3080 and power supply.

I was wanting to upgrade my processor to an i9 9th gen however I found out my motherboard on the R7 is not compatible with anything above an i7. During my research on why the computer would not turn on with the i9 installed, if read something that the NVIDIA 3080 is not fully compatible with the motherboard either. Does anyone know if this is true, am I only getting partial benefit from the 3080 card?

Would going from an i7 to an i9 be much better? 

My fps in multiplayer is in the 50-60s. I believe was getting 72 fps previously.

interesting that you read that the video card is not compatible. does it fit and work? i think if it does work, it is compatible. i do not think i7 to i9 is going to matter much for DCS. FPS could be affected by many reasons.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

well what series did you plan on getting in the i9, a 14900K?? the 3080 will be compatible with your current motherboard as long as it is a PCIex8/16 slot and there is enough room in the case for it..

For a test especially if you use Open XR try turning the resolution down on the G2 to about 60% and see if the FPS improve. I would also see if you can keep the Hz rate of the G2 @ 60Hz and as long as you can stay above 60FPS it should be pretty smooth gameplay.. if you are trying the HZ rate @90hz it may not be as fluid..

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

• 2 weeks later...

Personally i would NOT upgrade any hardware until DCS sort its self out .

Every one is chasing shadows .

Just look at some of the systems in the community and their computers are top of the range , I mean well over $2500 worth of hardware and that's just the computer , And they too are having the same old problems as mid range systems , with Stutters , low frame rates, Ghosting , Crashes , Multiplayer poor performance . Hundreds of threads on multi-threading and memory leaks . Lets face it . The game is old and patched and patched . Needs a whole new Engine built from scratch . 15 years and still same old problems . 6 years to make one module , man this need a good kick in the Butt . 😄

Its turning into Star Citizen . 🤪

But we love it , or do we .

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

2 hours ago, KoN said:

Needs a whole new Engine built from scratch

That will never happen. There have always been continual improvements, it’s not necessary or possible to just redo everything from scratch. DCS runs fine for the vast majority of players. There’s nothing to worry about when upgrading hardware in this regard. 

• Like 1

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5