DCS: Afghanistan FAQ

This has not been posted specifically in the FAQ, at least not until now, but it has already been discussed here and in the interview made to Wags on youtube some days ago. They said that they will do as much as they can to reduce the price gap between players who buy the full map and the ones buying it piece by piece, but it will definitely be more expensive to buy the three separate pieces than the whole map.
It's not that ED has lost it's mind, but a common practice industry wide. You buy the huge family pack, you get a special price, it's totally fair, as the ones, like me who bought the whole map right now are showing support for the creation of this content, hence the special price, then, it wouldn't be fair that someone that hasn't taken that "risk" gets the same conditions.
Also, if you already know that you're gonna buy more than 1 piece of the map, why not buy it now with the special price , which would be much cheaper than even buying 2 parts afterwards?
Price now, without miles, just the discount, is 48.99 USD, while buying two individual parts on their final price would be 60 USD. In my opinion, I don't understand how anyone wanting this full map would buy it by pieces. As ED stated, the part option is just for people who can't afford the entry price of the map, but if you're gonna end buying everything, why not do it now?
In my case, I bought it the same day it was announced, and, by applying some miles, I ended up paying 40 USD.
Yes, and if you can't afford today. Save USD16 every month up to June, (assume one started saving in March), and you can before release.

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RegaeRevaeb said:

And I was just talking about getting access to high-resolution parts of the whole map remaining after someone has bought the three available piece maps. Hopefully that clarifies things. 🙂

The 3 pieces ARE the high resolution parts of the map.  You get the same 3 pieces in high resolution if you buy them separately or the whole thing.  You get the low(er) resolution for the rest of the area indicated as being part of the map whether you buy the whole thing or the three pieces or one or two pieces.  If you only buy one or two pieces, the "high res" area's that you haven't bought are also in low res.

Edited by rob10
  • Like 1

The guy is trying to ask about the green parts (see below). It is indeed unclear if they are always low detail - and if not - which part of the map includes which one, assuming the whole map includes them both.

afg.jpg

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

3 hours ago, draconus said:

The guy is trying to ask about the green parts (see below). It is indeed unclear if they are always low res - and if not - which part of the map includes which one, assuming the whole map includes them both.

afg.jpg

I would assume with the greens it is similar to the edges of other maps. Not neccessarily low resolution, but low detail and not populated. 

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

20 hours ago, draconus said:

The guy is trying to ask about the green parts (see below). It is indeed unclear if they are always low detail - and if not - which part of the map includes which one, assuming the whole map includes them both.

I understand that, but to me it's pretty clear that only the red, blue and black areas are high res (no matter how you buy it) and the other areas, as Hiob said are similar to the edges of other maps (so lower detail/resolution).  Even when they talk about buying the whole map, they refer to getting the 3 high res areas.

• Like 2

On 4/8/2024 at 7:14 PM, RegaeRevaeb said:

Again, it isn't about paying more when purchased in pieces. That's fine. I'm thinking about people for whom buying in pieces is the affordable value choice for them (e.g. getting to play right away; working cash flow for real life; etc.). And I was just talking about getting access to high-resolution parts of the whole map remaining after someone has bought the three available piece maps. Hopefully that clarifies things. 🙂

Then I misunderstood you. To my understanding, the regions outside the three main zones won't be high res and, as others already pointed out, they will probably be similar to the edges of other maps. There will be terrain and some buildings, but nothing too fancy.

• Like 2

This will be one of the best and popular maps for DCS. Still waiting for Steam pre-order, though.

• Like 1

MSI z790, i5 13600k128 Gb DDR4, RTX 4090, 980 pro 2 Tb, 4 SATA SSD, 3 HDD, SB AE-7, Acer 35" curved UltraWide 200Hz, LG CX 55" HDR 120Hz G-Sync, Logitech G510s, Razer Tartarus v2, Naga hex v2, Pico 4 256 Gb, Thrustmaster WARTHOG, RS FSSB MK II Ultra, TPR pedals, Cougar MFDs, Logitech flight switch and radio panels, x56 throttle, Saitek throttle quadrant, Trackir 5, Buttkicker gamer+, Logitech G920 with pedals, shifter, handbrake, Steam controller, Sony Dualsense, Edifier s760d 5.1 540Wt, Beyerdynamic dt 990 (600 ohm), dt 770 pro (250ohm), Razer stream controller, Elgato stream deck XL

FC3, A10-CII, AV-8B, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F-18, Viggen, Mirage F1, M2000, C-101, MB-339, Sabre, Mig-15, Mig-21, I-16, Spitfire, Bf-109, 190A8,D9,  P-47, P-51,  Mosquito, Ka 50-III, Mi-8, AH-64D, Mi-24, Gazelle, NS430, Supercarrier, ALL maps, CA, WW2 assets pack

On 3/29/2024 at 8:14 PM, Minsky said:

Concern =/= proven impact.

We don't ask for a low detail terrain. We will settle for no details at all. Flat surface with a basic shoreline will do. We merely want a patch of ocean to place a carrier and cosplay the OEF.

Do you remember the early days of the Syria map, with all its performance woes?

So how comes the heaviest map in DCS has this 400 (four hundred) miles beyond the detailed area?

Screenshot - 240330 03_56_01.jpg

If all this empty space is such a burden to DCS engine, then why didn't they start optimizing the map by cutting it?

This is absolutely fine with me. The Pakistani coastline is a big deal for Afghan scenarios, as it is in itself still contested area that can lead to flashpoint in the future.

36 minutes ago, LimePartician said:

What LoD will we see to airfields, will they be highly accurate or will they just be low end like most other maps

You mean most maps have "low end" airfields? Can you be more specific?

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

On 3/28/2024 at 7:23 PM, Tiromir said:

Are you guys going bankrupt? We're trying to figure it out and this is the only explanation that makes sense.

*raise hand (I don't think my rig can take it. Might need a new PC)

Edited by Dex0

HTC Vive Pro/ Intel i7-9700 CPU @ 3GHz/ 32GB RAM/ Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080/

I'm interested to see a possible side-by-side comparison of low vs hi versions.

Being British, I am really looking forward to the South West part, but don't (at present) care too much about the rest.  I'm thinking I'll plump for the SW, and just use low res for the rest.

Are there any other maps / images that I have missed that could "persuade" me to go for the entire map?

TIA.

Edited by MrReynolds
  • Like 1

Full map purchased  (in pre-order).  Looking forward to it!

• Like 1

FC3 |  F-4E Phantom II | F-14A/B Tomcat | F-15E Mudhen | F-16C Viper | F/A-18C Hornet

Super Carrier  | Persian Gulf | Afghanistan | Sinai | Caucasus | Marianas | Nevada Test and Training Range

F-14A Zone 5 | F-14A Fear the Bones | F-14 Speed & Angels

Any side by side photos of the high detailed vs low detail areas for those that buy the full map vs regions.

Also can we expect some screenshots of the areas anytime soon? Really curious to see how it looks from low level. Some of us don't plink targets from 30,000+

The Eiffel Tower on Normandy 2.0 looks great from 30,000ft but when you get right next to it... 

• Like 1

On 4/1/2024 at 3:49 AM, zerO_crash said:

It's a simulator. As a simulator, factuality is a major factor in determining its credibility as such. I don't see the point at all for such response to an otherwise good and justified question!

Its a game and is a long long way from simulating a proper simulator, so its even further from having any hope of simulating real life.

AMD 3800x, Asrock 570X Taichi, 32GB Corsair Platinum, MSI 1080Ti, Corsair MP600 Gen 4 1TB NVMe. Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVMe, Samsung 860 1TB SSD, Custom Watercooling, AOC 32" 4K Screen.

1 hour ago, pegasus1 said:

Its a game and is a long long way from simulating a proper simulator, so its even further from having any hope of simulating real life.

"... simulating a proper simulator..." - what?

You obviously have no clue what you're writing. I'll decide on the rest!

• Like 3

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 4/17/2024 at 3:05 PM, draconus said:

You mean most maps have "low end" airfields? Can you be more specific?

Sure, missing taxiways, roads for ground services, buildings, taxiway markings.
Wrong taxiway layouts on most airfields.
The list can go on.

• Like 1