DCS: Afghanistan FAQ

• BIGNEWY changed the title to DCS: Afghanistan FAQ
  • NineLine pinned this topic

Well, we've successfully answered the question: how complex and confusing can a DCS terrain release be?

If someone buys the whole map and only wants to download one third of the HQ map, will they have the ability to deactivate those parts in DCS to save HD space?

• Like 17

How much of a difference will there be between the high and low detail areas if someone only buys a region and travels to a different area outside that region?

Hopefully not to the point where players with different details see different things. "Hey the enemy is left of that big building next to the traffic circle." "I don't see a traffic circle.." 

Will it be another Normandy thing where we eventually we will get a Afghanistan 2.0?

In a MP setting that might cause some issues as well for the mission makers having to deal with planning/making areas that might not appear the same for someone else. 

Edited by Tom P

vor 14 Minuten schrieb Tom P:

How much will the difference in "higher" detail be in a region compared to just owning the whole map? Will it be a "low fidelity terrain" if I don't buy the region specifically that someone else who did buy it?
Why not just make the whole map "high" detailed instead of splitting it. You can buy the whole map cheaper then all the regions combined. $70 vs $87 And I know people out there will probably spend $157 for basically one map to have higher detail everywhere but still....

I just don't want to go fly in RC east and have someone walk me on to a target that they can see that I can't because I didn't buy that region. "Hey they're left of that big building next to the traffic circle." "I don't see a traffic circle.."

My guess is that it’s simply a bundle discount. Buying FC3 is also cheaper than buying the planes individually. So the quality will be the same. It just makes sense in terms of sales to put the price of the individual sections higher

Edited by maxidaxy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core @ 4GHz + NVDIA Geforce 3060 12GB VRAM + 32 GB DDR4 RAM + 4TB SSD Storage total + Windows 10 

3 minutes ago, ricktoberfest said:

I’m afraid I’m gonna avoid buying this map simply for the fail in splitting it up. Nobody wants this unless they are worried about hard drive space. It makes everything needlessly complicated for creators and users. 

Agreed, this seems like the greed is peaking. 

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, ricktoberfest said:

I’m afraid I’m gonna avoid buying this map simply for the fail in splitting it up. Nobody wants this unless they are worried about hard drive space. It makes everything needlessly complicated for creators and users. 

Yeah this could make mission building a nightmare.

• Like 5

Will the map extend to the Gulf of Oman to allow carrier operations?

Personally I wouldn't mind if Pakistan was modelled at low detail as long as there's an option to include the Supercarrier and naval aviation.

Edit from a couple days later: Wags said very clearly that this is not an option with the current terrain engine.

Edited by Yurgon
  • Like 11

How is suppose to work for multiplayer ?

It sounds like there will be only one map but depending on which region the players have, they won't see the same things. There is no way of balancing a PvP server then no ?

How are physical buildings present on the high detailed version handled for the low detailed players ? Does it mean a transport helico could land units inside a landmarks because he didn't buy the high detailed version or with CA just drive though it ? Won't they have an easier time spotting as well ? How is it handled server wise ? Can missile fired by low detailed player go through a landmarks ?

I have so many questions...

• Like 5

Amazing how people can be so confused by something so simple...  If you want the whole map, buy the whole map.  If you only care about one part of Afghanistan, just buy that part.  If you just buy one part, you can still fly missions elsewhere, but the map will be in lower detail.  If you don't want them to be in lower detail, buy the whole map.  It used to be that you could only buy the whole map, and now you can still buy the whole map, but now since Afghanistan is huge and some people only care about some smaller part of it, they have the option to buy that smaller part, and yet are not completely locked out of playing on other parts.  This isn't exactly rocket science here.

• Like 43
  • Thanks 4

I was just about to ask similar questions to Ogma above, surely you gain a massive player advantage in multiplayer if you have not purchased high quality versions of the maps?

Lots of potential here for customer confusion and double purchasing when not realising the savings when buying as an entire bundle. I think when you need an FAQ that extensive with undoubtedly follow up questions your not on the right track guys.

• Like 2

• ED Team
8 minutes ago, Ogma said:

How is suppose to work for multiplayer ?

It sounds like there will be only one map but depending on which region the players have, they won't see the same things. There is no way of balancing a PvP server then no ?

How are physical buildings present on the high detailed version handled for the low detailed players ? Does it mean a transport helico could land units inside a landmarks because he didn't buy the high detailed version or with CA just drive though it ? Won't they have an easier time spotting as well ? How is it handled server wise ? Can missile fired by low detailed player go through a landmarks ?

I have so many questions...

Read the FAQ, MP compatibility is there no matter what you buy. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

The highest level of detail for each region is only available with a purchase of each of the individual region products (Southwest, East, North), or with a purchase of DCS: Afghanistan. Regions that have not been purchased will be flyable but will display a lower level of detail.

Buy them individually or the whole thing...same detail.

• Like 2