Confused.

sbk93036

I play on PC because, if the game I buy is not 100% uptimised, it will be with later updates. And if the game get boring, there are mods to change it.

I'm glad DSC BS have a comunity to tweek it and improve it.

Most of the games I buy are comunity supported.

I don't find it odd. It just seems that Black Shark should have been much more polished prior to release, or offered at a lower price. I love the game A LOT!

I am simply astonished that ED would put out such a polished, phenomenal simulation with incredible depth, at such a LOW price! :thumbup:

I am simply astonished that ED would put out such a polished, phenomenal simulation with incredible depth, at such a LOW price! :thumbup:

:thumbsup:

I can't remember the last game I've owned that has as few problems as BS, right out of the gate.

Why is it that there are mods like DCSMax and the terrain mod that make the game better...shouldn't the game have been tweaked by ED? I bought it online for $49 and am curious why I am downloading upgrades to performance and visuals that are made by 3rd parties. ???

I have yet to see any PC game/sim that was not modded to a higher standard by the fans. The modding community, being the PC hardware enthusiasts they are, will make all kinds of high-res, high-end mods. I'm not seeing how DCS: BS is any different...

• Like 1

Aye, one of the things that make me real hopeful about the future quality of DCS is that, just like DCS:BS, there is no big publisher sitting there demanding sales RIGHT NOW. This means ED will have much greater opportunities to make sure that the product, as released, lives up to their own quality standards.

And judging by the release of DCS:BS, their quality standards is actually higher than my own - and they are the only modern studio that I can say something like that about. I think and hope that this can serve them very well commercially as well and perhaps even become a good example for the rest of the computer entertainment industry to look at and learn from.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

• 1 month later...
To be honest man, the Empire AI is a static experience. But the AI there is also much more critical to game experience than in DCS - without the AI the majority of Empire is completely unplayable.

But anyway, what I wanted to highlight with the example was that DCS:BS isn't in any way unfinished due to there being mods. Empire on the other hand was unfinished, and still is unfinished, AND is more expensive. On the installation disc issues, I bought it off of Steam directly but judged the nature of the install bug on the "fix" proposed on release day (to start Steam with a console command) as explained by BurtonJ over there.

The activations vs Steam doesn't really enter into that discussion since it's a whole different thing. (Though I guess I should have used STALKER: Clear Sky instead as an example - that was a Steam game with activations and no deactivations, which those of us who had pre-ordered got real pissed off about since it had not been advertised.)

And no, it isn't about pure number of bugs, it's the overall picture. And DCS was very playable right off the bat with only a few kinks. Empire on the other hand was not. (Though I personally had a better experience than many - my problems only came up further in when the memory leaks and endgame tech bugs made the game unplayable long enough into the campaign that no reviewer could hope to get there before deadline.)

Anyways, I accept your criticism of the game used as a comparative example, but there's so few sims getting released that it's difficult to find one to use. I would have used Falcon 4 but I didn't get that on release so wouldn't have the experience of it to compare with. But we probably shouldn't derail into a long discussion of the faults of completely other games. I just wished to highlight that the OP seems to have a slightly skewed picture of what constitutes an unfinished or "unpolisched" product.

My reference to the mods was that some improve visuals...I found that "odd" that a mod by a third party improves a game I paid 49 for. Also, I haven't seen mods for other games that improve upon its visuals. Usually the dev does that. Obviously I understand people will alter levels and add skins. That is to be expected. Regardless, I enjoy the game immensely. I don't play mindless games like unreal tourn, though I have enjoyed Halo3 online! There is more to do than just run around and shoot everyone. Kind of boring for me...and I am an action junkie.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Gateway FX 7805 Gaming Notebook: Vista 64-Bit, Intel Core 2 Duo Centrino P8400 @ 2.26Ghz, 4GB DDR3, 1GB nVIDIA GEForce 9800M GTS, 320GB/7200RPM HD, 1400 x 900 native res. Saitek AV8R-01. DCS: Black Shark Callsign-"CRUPTED".

Bizare (in so many ways)! :noexpression:

It's BIZARRE btw. "In so many ways"???

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Gateway FX 7805 Gaming Notebook: Vista 64-Bit, Intel Core 2 Duo Centrino P8400 @ 2.26Ghz, 4GB DDR3, 1GB nVIDIA GEForce 9800M GTS, 320GB/7200RPM HD, 1400 x 900 native res. Saitek AV8R-01. DCS: Black Shark Callsign-"CRUPTED".

I guess the assumption he's using is that you "have" to download the mods.

well...I have not downloaded or installed a single mod to black shark yet... haven't neeted to, nor felt the urge. It looks and plays awesome..I get great framerates...I dont get wet over different skins etc (apols to any skinners), nor alternative sounds. I dont need DCSMax as im running XP.

So simple answer is, dont download them ... the Sim stands up as a great one with or without them IMHO.

The terrain mod made the terrain look much better. As did the cockpit mod. Awesome! The skins are a blast too. If I get the time I may try one myself. Cannot seem to stop using "bits n pieces". Took some screen shots and use it as wallpaper. The creator of that skin rocks!

I think that a game, supported by a comunity, is more valuable than the price you pay for.

I'm glad that there are people with the skills and the will to improve this game beyond the original product.

The games I play the most are the one that have a comunity based support and ameliorations.

It's not odd, it's the recepy of a good game with unlimited playability.

You won't find this on Xbox or any other console either.

It's BIZARRE btw. "In so many ways"???

'Bizarre in so many ways' as in replying to a post made in April...in June! :huh:

Edited by McVittees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Great minds think alike; idiots seldom differ.":pilotfly:

i5 3750K@4.3Ghz, MSI Z77A GD55, 8GB DDR3, Palit GTX 670, 24" Benq@1920*1080, X52 Pro, Win 7 64bit.

My reference to the mods was that some improve visuals...I found that "odd" that a mod by a third party improves a game I paid 49 for. Also, I haven't seen mods for other games that improve upon its visuals. Usually the dev does that. Obviously I understand people will alter levels and add skins. That is to be expected. Regardless, I enjoy the game immensely. I don't play mindless games like unreal tourn, though I have enjoyed Halo3 online! There is more to do than just run around and shoot everyone. Kind of boring for me...and I am an action junkie.

I see no difference in visual mods for BS and all the aftermarket visual enhancements for Microsoft Flight Simulator. If we had every thing we could possibly want in box at initial purchase BS might cost more like $149 instead of $49 and people would still want to mod it guaranteed.