Steerpoint/markpoint offset on cold start or after manual INS align

Go to solution Solved by QuiGon,

Good evening,

I noticed recently whenever I manually do any alignment, my steerpoints and markpoints are completely off. I have discussed this on multiple discords, and everyone led here. I ensured that I am utilizing the correct coord layout, not letting the jet be disturbed while aligning, and also the year of the missions (after 1994). I have tried every map, but only in single player, and have tried Persian Gulf in multiplayer. I have noticed that if I do an air start, it is completely fine. 

I have I9-990K, 2080 TI, 32 gb DDR4 on Windows 11.

DCS, windows, and Geforce is updated. 

I have attached the track for reference, and I look forward to your response!

exampleINS.trk

• Like 1

• Solution
Posted (edited)
On 4/7/2024 at 7:44 AM, Ruthenican said:

Good evening,

I noticed recently whenever I manually do any alignment, my steerpoints and markpoints are completely off. I have discussed this on multiple discords, and everyone led here. I ensured that I am utilizing the correct coord layout, not letting the jet be disturbed while aligning, and also the year of the missions (after 1994). I have tried every map, but only in single player, and have tried Persian Gulf in multiplayer. I have noticed that if I do an air start, it is completely fine. 

I have I9-990K, 2080 TI, 32 gb DDR4 on Windows 11.

DCS, windows, and Geforce is updated. 

I have attached the track for reference, and I look forward to your response!

exampleINS.trk 2.79 MB · 5 downloads

The upcoming DCS update will include a big overhaul of INS/GPS for the F-16: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/newsletters/ac7733b5517ca577c5a11bddb0a605a1/

Should you still encounter this issue after the update, please let us know!

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• ED Team

Hi @Ruthenican

Like @QuiGon said, the next update will be a overhaul of the entire INS system. 

For that matter, instead of trying to figure out what you are experiencing, we prefer you wait for the next update and then try again, making sure to report any further issues.

Thanks for understanding. 

• Like 1

dcsvader.png
Esquadra 701 - DCS Portugal - Discord

Hello again,

I feel embarrassed, but I want to provide an update for anyone facing a similar problem. It turned out the issue wasn't with INS but with the alignment of HMCS facepalm. Once I corrected the HMCS alignment, everything worked fine. I didn't know about this feature before, and I hope sharing this can assist others who encounter it. Thanks to everyone for their assistance and responses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

maybe off topic apologize however would the new INS and alignment cause the datalink of SPI or waypoints to be off on the other recieving aircraft when online multiplayer ? seems no matter if its a WP HSI datalink share or even a TGP markpoint share they are always off (wrong coordinates transmitted) to the other aircraft ? 
THanks

12 hours ago, Ruthenican said:

I feel embarrassed, but I want to provide an update for anyone facing a similar problem. It turned out the issue wasn't with INS but with the alignment of HMCS facepalm. Once I corrected the HMCS alignment, everything worked fine. I didn't know about this feature before, and I hope sharing this can assist others who encounter it. Thanks to everyone for their assistance and responses.

No need to apologize.  Thanks for coming back with the solution.  If you had the issue the chances are that someone else will in the future and your post may well help them solve the issue.

• ED Team
On 4/14/2024 at 4:28 AM, Shrike88 said:

maybe off topic apologize however would the new INS and alignment cause the datalink of SPI or waypoints to be off on the other recieving aircraft when online multiplayer ? seems no matter if its a WP HSI datalink share or even a TGP markpoint share they are always off (wrong coordinates transmitted) to the other aircraft ? 
THanks

Hi @Shrike88

I've not seen this myself in my tests.

If you can reproduce it, please create a new thread and supply a track for our analysis.

In any case, please remember that all steerpoints and markpoints are registered with the coordinates AND aircraft drift. This can cause offsets when comparing positions, which is expected since each aircraft has its own alignment drift.

Thanks. 

dcsvader.png
Esquadra 701 - DCS Portugal - Discord

Ok Thanks @Lord Vader. I will test some more.  If still reoccurring I will create a report with attached track and info. Thanks

13 hours ago, Lord Vader said:

Hi @Shrike88

I've not seen this myself in my tests.

If you can reproduce it, please create a new thread and supply a track for our analysis.

In any case, please remember that all steerpoints and markpoints are registered with the coordinates AND aircraft drift. This can cause offsets when comparing positions, which is expected since each aircraft has its own alignment drift.

Thanks.