First Module

Go to solution Solved by VZ_342,

My first foray into the DCS World has been fairly successful. A few wobbly circuits flown, Tacan navigation is working, and I've got most of my keybinds set (although I have to now remember where they all are!). I haven't yet even used VR, until all is ironed out. VoiceAttack is set to give all required commands to Ground Crew, plus "live pause" (which I've needed a lot!).

This is not a "game" for me. Contrary to many assesments of DCS on Yootoobs that seem to think the devs should churn out low fidelity models to fill the gaps for pure "gamers," I'm trying to properly learn to fly in this sim, not just fling rockets down range. Weapons systems will come later, but I'm loving the realism. I hopeit doesn't become what many seem to want it to be. There are other games out there that cater for casual gamers.

I haven't even switched the Master Arm on yet, and I'm loving DCS! I'm not a total notice in terms of aviation, but there is a lot to learn in a jet. I have no plans to upgrade from the F-5E for a good while yet!

Edited by Hassle
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Winwing Orion2 16EX Stick, Winwing Orion2 18 Throttle, Logitech G Saitek PRO Flight Rudder Pedals, Dell WMR Headset, and VoiceAttack. Currently focused solely on the F5-E Tiger II.

DCS Footer.png

Welcome to all that is DCS!

Its good to see that you are enjoying yourself, and adopting a “crawl-walk-run” approach which in my eyes is the best way to go. 
It doesn’t have to be all about flinging ordnance down range. 
And personally, the F-5 is a very good lead-in aircraft.

Keep it going. :thumbup:

• Like 4

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

Honestly if you're interested in actually learning how to fly, go take an online ground school course. Maybe go for a discovery flight with an instructor. If you like it, get your medical certificate and start training.

As far as home simulators, X-Plane or MSFS, paired with VATSIM, are much better for learning and practicing procedures than DCS.

Edited by Sarowa
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Sarowa said:

Honestly if you're interested in actually learning how to fly, go take an online ground school course. Maybe go for a discovery flight with an instructor. If you like it, get your medical certificate and start training.

As far as home simulators, X-Plane or MSFS, paired with VATSIM, are much better for learning and practicing procedures than DCS.

I am here from X-Plane11, but it didn't quite "do it" for me. I have flown a few times IRL with the RAF, including aerobatics. I don't have the funds for PPL though unfortunately 😕

2 hours ago, G.J.S said:

Welcome to all that is DCS!

Its good to see that you are enjoying yourself, and adopting a “crawl-walk-run” approach which in my eyes is the best way to go. 
It doesn’t have to be all about flinging ordnance down range. 
And personally, the F-5 is a very good lead-in aircraft.

Keep it going. :thumbup:

Yup, and I'm loving the F-5E.

• Like 2

Winwing Orion2 16EX Stick, Winwing Orion2 18 Throttle, Logitech G Saitek PRO Flight Rudder Pedals, Dell WMR Headset, and VoiceAttack. Currently focused solely on the F5-E Tiger II.

DCS Footer.png

14 hours ago, VZ_342 said:

One of the YT channels offers RAF style training in the DCS F-5, check out the Fast Jet Performance  channel.

Have fun!

Yes, I watch Tim's videos, thanks. Not sure if it fits my schedule, but I'll check it out once I am set up properly. 😎👍

• Like 1

DCS Footer.png

On 4/18/2024 at 4:43 PM, MAXsenna said:

If you're already using VoiceAttack, you might want to look into VAICOM.
Cheers!

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

I'll check it out, thanks.

• Like 1

DCS Footer.png

I finally enagaged in air-to-air combat after learning the radar system (sort of). It reminds me of an old Atari game. Such a quirky system. I was even awarded my first medal 😆. I still need to practice circuits, as everything happens so fast! I get it down, but not on a gentle glide slope. I guess any landing you can walk away from is a good one.

I also need to get a lower seat, as I have my stick too far back to keep it away from my bar top, but can't get myself far enough back before hitting the wall behind with my chair. A lower chair would mean I can mount under the bar in a more ergonomic position.

• Like 1

DCS Footer.png

Welcome to DCS, throw out all your clocks, you’ll lose all track of them anyway.

I spent more than a year flying around maps barely firing any weapons. I had little forays into action and soon learnt I’d better get my flying in better shape before I’d be much use. Still debatable if I’ve got there yet but I’m known to hit the odd target now and then these days. Landings are never boring. They’re probably the thing I get least practice at too on account of the things I get up to once I’ve taken off. We don’t always make it back. Patience helps when coming in, so I’m told 😁.

Have to admit I’ve also seen some of Tims things on YT. I followed his recommendation for a chair and lived to regret it but his flying bits were interesting. (Good luck with your chair btw). 

Enjoy the journey.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Please don't be insulted by my suggestions, you probably already know these things, but wanted to ensure you get informed in case these were unknown to you:

Have you been using the aircraft's "Trim" function, to set up  for landings? I just ask because if the plane, whether real or virtual,  is not trimmed, you'll be fighting the controls when trying to do  much  of anything, especially landings! You might want to set up one  of your joystick hat switches for the trim function if you have the money for a HOTAS.

Also make sure you use the landing flap  settings, otherwise you run the risk of doing your landing approach too quick. and use the drogue parachute (in F-5E) 

Maybe worth doing short flights, go up,  engage one air target, drop a  little iron,  fire a couple  rockets, and land... gain lots of experience in 20-30 minute sorties, get comfortable with the aircraft and the basic maneuvers.  And then go from crawl to walking... and before you know it, you'll be ready to run! After that it'll get a bit pricey when you start adding more airframes to your hangar!! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rick50 said:

Please don't be insulted by my suggestions, you probably already know these things, but wanted to ensure you get informed in case these were unknown to you:

Have you been using the aircraft's "Trim" function, to set up  for landings? I just ask because if the plane, whether real or virtual,  is not trimmed, you'll be fighting the controls when trying to do  much  of anything, especially landings! You might want to set up one  of your joystick hat switches for the trim function if you have the money for a HOTAS.

Also make sure you use the landing flap  settings, otherwise you run the risk of doing your landing approach too quick. and use the drogue parachute (in F-5E) 

Maybe worth doing short flights, go up,  engage one air target, drop a  little iron,  fire a couple  rockets, and land... gain lots of experience in 20-30 minute sorties, get comfortable with the aircraft and the basic maneuvers.  And then go from crawl to walking... and before you know it, you'll be ready to run! After that it'll get a bit pricey when you start adding more airframes to your hangar!! 

Yes, I'm well versed in trim, having played other sims (but not jets). I use Winwing HOTAS so plenty of hats! Thanks for the advice, though. I try to do short hops and then return to base, rather than circuits which can get tedious. Everything just happens so much quicker in a jet, and the engine spools slower, so more practice required!

DCS Footer.png

With each new wacko there is always a hope to bring another poor soul into F-5E simpit building 😉

Edited by Bucic
  • Like 2

F-4E Phantom module for sale -25% non-Steam

On 4/25/2024 at 8:07 AM, Bucic said:

With each new wacko there is always a hope to bring another poor soul into F-5E simpit building 😉

Wow! You are sure getting deep into the F-5E! I will be solely in VR, so even half the controls on the HOTAS are going to be seldom used. It really would be cool to have everything where you expect, and have actual switches to flip though!

DCS Footer.png

2 hours ago, Hassle said:

Wow! You are sure getting deep into the F-5E! I will be solely in VR, so even half the controls on the HOTAS are going to be seldom used. It really would be cool to have everything where you expect, and have actual switches to flip though!

Well, if you go for either the weapons panel or the fuel systems panel, those are quite easy to pull off. The 3D printed stick is available so in my eyes the throttle qdrt is the biggest challange. If you have any questions or thoughts, do chime in the linked simpit topic. Not a word from me about the simpit in this thread, I promise 😉

F-4E Phantom module for sale -25% non-Steam

Am 13.4.2024 um 13:27 schrieb G.J.S:

Its good to see that you are enjoying yourself, and adopting a “crawl-walk-run” approach which in my eyes is the best way to go. It doesn’t have to be all about flinging ordnance down range. 

This. I'm glad to see there are other people thinking like that. 

After all those years of just playing around in the sim, in 2021 I decided to learn flying from scratch. And since I'm very interested in history and grew up in East Germany, I got hold of training materials from the past and started learning to fly "eastern style". Thanks to the Russian origins of DCS (inner and outer beacons and RSBN / PRMG), this works really well in DCS. First I flew the Yak-52 for six months, teaching myself wind, route and curve calculations. Then I flew the L-39 for a good 2 years and am now moving on to the MiGs. All the procedures that were available back then really work in DCS, provided the aircraft is realistically simulated (the L-39 is, the MiG-21 is not, hopefully the MiG-29 will be).
So I understand Hassle very well when he wants to dig deep into the subject. It gives you a lot back.

The F-5E is also in my hangar, collecting dust, but one day I will start to learn flying "western style" 😉 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Mancher zum Meister sich erklärt, dem nie das Handwerk ward gelehrt!

On 4/30/2024 at 1:33 AM, portman said:

provided the aircraft is realistically simulated (the L-39 is, the MiG-21 is not, hopefully the MiG-29 will be).

I think the FC3 Fulcrum is more for fun that raw realism... but ED recently confirmed they are working on a true "Full Fidelity Fulcrum", which I expect to be every bit as realistic and quality as any of their other impressive modules!  I'm no expert, but I think they are aiming to replicate a 9.13 variant, which I believe is the early version that was widely exported... so very representative of most Fulcrums in use since they first appeared!

vor 14 Stunden schrieb Rick50:

I think the FC3 Fulcrum is more for fun that raw realism... but ED recently confirmed they are working on a true "Full Fidelity Fulcrum", which I expect to be every bit as realistic and quality as any of their other impressive modules!  I'm no expert, but I think they are aiming to replicate a 9.13 variant, which I believe is the early version that was widely exported... so very representative of most Fulcrums in use since they first appeared!

I think it's going to be the 9.12 - but anyway, by writing "hopefully the MiG-29 will be" I meant the full fidelity plane, of course 🙂

Mancher zum Meister sich erklärt, dem nie das Handwerk ward gelehrt!