Spudknocker Survey Results

CybrSlydr

Anyone check out Spud's video about his survey results?

As I mentioned in the comments for the video, I'm surprised the F-18 is the most popular module.  I've found it to be overly complicated compared to the F-16.  The F-16 is by far my favorite module - and a lot simpler to use!

In the comments, people are saying the F-16 avionics are difficult to understand or more complicated than the F-18?  What are they talking about because the F-16 makes waaaaaay more sense - those comments literally make no sense to me.  So fewer buttons you have to push, just put the targeting pod over the target and blam.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, CybrSlydr said:

As I mentioned in the comments for the video, I'm surprised the F-18 is the most popular module. 

I'm not ... the F-18 has been available for 18 months longer than the F-16, so that could explain why more people own it.

53 minutes ago, CybrSlydr said:

I've found it to be overly complicated compared to the F-16. 

I find they are both about the same complexity, and the Hornet has the added difficulty of learning to operate from a carrier.

• Like 3

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600 - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia RTX2080 - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

7 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

I find they are both about the same complexity, and the Hornet has the added difficulty of learning to operate from a carrier.

I agree... and amend:

I fully understand love for one or the other, but I've bought F/A-18C not because of the difficulty related to the carrier, but because of the opportunity to learn it. So, while added difficulty, I see it more as an opportunity and more mission options. I'll probably buy F-16 too in some distant future, it is an amazing aircraft, but when choosing the more flexible of the two from the game perspective (and also more complete I hope), I went for the Hornet.

Edited by virgo47

✈️ L-39, F-5E, F/A-18C, MiG-15, F-86F, C-101, FC3 🛩️ Yak-52, P-47, Spitfire 🚁 UH-1H, Ka-50 III 🗺️ NTTR, PG, SY, Chnl, Norm2 📦 Supercarrier, NS430, WWII 🕹️ VKB STECS+Gladiator/Kosmosima+TPR 
▶️ DCS Unscripted YouTube
🐛 "Favourite" bugs: 1) gates not growing regress, 2) L-39 target size cockpit animation regress, 3) Yak-52 toggles not toggling, 4) all Caucasus ATC bugs

To me, the surprises were in other aspects, like:

More people own the Mirage F1 rather than the JF-17, which is 2.5 years older

1 in every 3 users own the South Atlantic map.

More people do MP than SP, I would have thought that SP was prevalent, maybe the sample survey has a bias towards MP?

3 of each 4 players own the Supercarrier, I would have expected less since all the debacle about splitting the MP community 🙂

Cheers.

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600 - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia RTX2080 - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar

3 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

More people own the Mirage F1 rather than the JF-17, which is 2.5 years older

1 in every 3 users own the South Atlantic map.

More people do MP than SP, I would have thought that SP was prevalent, maybe the sample survey has a bias towards MP?

3 of each 4 players own the Supercarrier, I would have expected less since all the debacle about splitting the MP community 🙂

I didn't know about the survey - probably because it was more known in some MP communities? I play SP 99%. I tried some MP, but it was just SP with real "AI" so far... this is my time limitation and kind of (likely totally useless) insecurity about my flying.

F1... I like that product a lot, with four variants it's (or will be) a lot of bang for a buck. Both "strange" (non US/Russian) planes, but F1 is much more attractive to me, so I fully understand it. Jeff seems quite niche (product, not as a plane).

And I own Supercarrier for whatever reason and so far have never used it. Just as I hardly use F/A-18 actually 😄 , I probably clocked most time in L-39 and Su-25T... the latter I return to quite gladly even with all the bought modules, not sure why. But I guess I'm quite an outlier.

✈️ L-39, F-5E, F/A-18C, MiG-15, F-86F, C-101, FC3 🛩️ Yak-52, P-47, Spitfire 🚁 UH-1H, Ka-50 III 🗺️ NTTR, PG, SY, Chnl, Norm2 📦 Supercarrier, NS430, WWII 🕹️ VKB STECS+Gladiator/Kosmosima+TPR 
▶️ DCS Unscripted YouTube
🐛 "Favourite" bugs: 1) gates not growing regress, 2) L-39 target size cockpit animation regress, 3) Yak-52 toggles not toggling, 4) all Caucasus ATC bugs

The SP/MP surprised me as well.  I thought it'd be reversed.  May be some sample bias, but I would have never guessed 75/25 MP.  I've never played MP and fly Liberation exclusively.

I have the F18 and Supercarrier but never use them.  I just chalk it up to dev support.  Lol. I have the full Afghanistan pre-ordered- be interesting to see the area I was deployed in recreated.  Drop a couple 2000lb JDAMs on a particular village...  lol

1 hour ago, Beirut said:

He showed three-years of charts, all too small to see properly. Brilliant. 🙄

the YT pause feature is your friend 🙂 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

That survey should probably be taken with a grain of salt, an only reflects his fan base and not DCS in general.

True, but there are not many surveys on the subject and all are prone to have the same type of bias … so, in absence of hard data, it is the only glimpse we can have on the DCS market.

• Like 2

On 4/13/2024 at 5:35 PM, Rudel_chw said:

Cheers.

Not in a million years his player base maybe but not in general.

edit: ah max said it already.

Edited by freehand
  • Like 1

On 4/13/2024 at 11:56 AM, CybrSlydr said:

The SP/MP surprised me as well.  I thought it'd be reversed.  May be some sample bias, but I would have never guessed 75/25 MP

ED has stated several time that 90% of the players have never been online in MP. The survey no doubt reflects his subscribers and not the player base in general. 

Edited by SharpeXB
  • Like 1

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | ASUS TUF GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

ED has stated several time that 90% of the players have never been online in MP. The survey no doubt reflects his subscribers and not the player base in general. 
Yeah, but that number probably contains players playing DCS for a short while, and then leave. That said. During the pandemic, I believe it was the spring of -20, Kate the Boss, had a rare occurrence on this forum. I think it was during the delay of the Super Carrier and the fits and tantrums some users had, and actually did answer some question, even one of mine. And I asked about the split between SP and MP. IIRC it was in favour of SP 2/3rds. But that was probably the time users played, as many do both. We will probably never have a relevant/concise survey, as many users never frequent and share their opinion, be it this forum or other SM. And probably would never participate in any survey. And those users might even be the largest group.

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, MAXsenna said:

Yeah, but that number probably contains players playing DCS for a short while, and then leave. That said. During the pandemic, I believe it was the spring of -20, Kate the Boss, had a rare occurrence on this forum. I think it was during the delay of the Super Carrier and the fits and tantrums some users had, and actually did answer some question, even one of mine. And I asked about the split between SP and MP. IIRC it was in favour of SP 2/3rds. But that was probably the time users played, as many do both. We will probably never have a relevant/concise survey, as many users never frequent and share their opinion, be it this forum or other SM. And probably would never participate in any survey. And those users might even be the largest group.

This is where I’ve seen this recently. It’s the first question asked here. Sure there are many ways that statistic could be described. I would take this response at face value. He says “players” and that they’ve never been online. So it’s not about playtime hours or anything else. I assume they have a way of determining who a “player” is besides simply someone who downloaded the free game.

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | ASUS TUF GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

This is where I’ve seen this recently. It’s the first question asked here. Sure there are many ways that statistic could be described. I would take this response at face value. He says “players” and that they’ve never been online. So it’s not about playtime hours or anything else. I assume they have a way of determining who a “player” is besides simply someone who downloaded the free game.

Ah, I see. Well, yeah! I remember that interview, even recommended Simon to get a better microphone in the comments IIRC. Does surprise me though, that demographics shift from 66 to 90 in one year, more or less. Long time since we've heard from Som ain't it? And is this the interview where the Apache/MiG-29 are mentioned? Anyway. I believe those numbers don't apply anymore, but for sure SP outranks MP.

• 1 month later...

Though I am subscribed to Spudnocker's channel I never saw this YT video. Or maybe I did, filled it out and then forgot about it. 

But I would agree that the F-18 has a much more pilot friendly avionics system than the F-16. I have both of these aircraft modules and bought the F-16 not that long after I bought the F-18 with the Supercarrier. 

Maybe that's why I haven't got around to really learning the F-16 yet. I've attempted a couple of times to study it, but went back to finishing my schooling on the F-18. I find the F-16 avionics way too ambiguous and also primitive for my taste. Or maybe it's because I was so determined to be the best Naval aviator on the Supercarrier. I really like the challenge of landing on the carriers. It's rather odd, because when I was younger and just wanted to fly, going in and out of recruiting offices etc, and first was thinking about joining any air force that would take me I didn't really consider the navy as first choice for fear of landing on a carrier. lol! It used to seem like a crazy idea to me.

But I will get around to finish learning the F-16 at some point. It's one hell of a hotrod!