Is the default F18 campaign decent/worth playing?

I am really struggling in mission 2. It seems impossible to do with the loadout. The Strela at the target point is wiping everyone out, and it's extremely difficult to take it out with dumb bombs or guns. I've resorted to editing the mission and loading one maverick for it, although it feels cheesy. Still, after killing it, my wingman can't even kill a single vehicle, and I can barely kill any. The cluster bombs are very unreliable against the BMPs. I've loaded just GP bombs, but the BMP snipers are annihilating me when dropping...  To kill half of them, I need almost perfect accuracy. You get the point. This doesn't seem to be designed well for how the game works currently.

Is every other mission going to be like this, or is it worth playing this campaign?

So I passed this mission by loading LGBs for my flight.

However the following mission I am also getting killed by strelas around the target.

Does anyone have any tactical advice on how to deal with this if you have to drop dumb bombs on target? I will be within the strela range, and I won't spot it without labels. It seems like the attack has at least 50% chance of me dying to a random IR missile.

I could of course load maverics and jdams, but let's say I want to try completing the mission with close to default loadout?

The included campaign isn't very good. There are numerous third party campaigns for sale that are fantastic though. Also, if you haven't tried it yet, I highly recommend Operation Bold Cheetah by Sedlo. It's free but it has paid DLC quality and then some.

• Like 2

Ryzen 5 3600, Radeon RX 5600 XT

oh man MISSION 2 is a hell of a nightmare, i've done many missions but my wingmen is a F18 , there are many F14 flying arround and not doing much. 
I dont know why ED drop campains that sucks so bad. 
maybe its a campaign that can be done with a real wingmen

17 hours ago, Roosterfeet said:

The included campaign isn't very good. There are numerous third party campaigns for sale that are fantastic though. Also, if you haven't tried it yet, I highly recommend Operation Bold Cheetah by Sedlo. It's free but it has paid DLC quality and then some.

HI.

Yes, definitivelly, go for Bold Chetah. Excellent campaign, excellent radio management, and (from my little knowledge) excellent mission planing. And it is free. download it, play it and you will be a different pilot (much better, I mean...)

Saludos.

Saca111

maybe its a campaign that can be done with a real wingmen

Exactly. The moment my wingman got shot down by strela or manpad or whatever I said no way dude.....I'm outta here....lol.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

Posted (edited)

I managed to complete it after all. Indeed, the campaign was very perfunctory, and with only 6 missions. I had to modify the loadouts a bit to make it work. I managed to complete mission 3 with just dumb bombs, but mostly due to luck - IR missiles not hitting me. 

I am now playing Raven One, and it's great. I will check out Bold Cheetah, thanks.

Edited by PawlaczGMD