Is it "standard" to run with an ECM pod these days?

RyanR

Here's a rookie question.

So many modern aircraft seem to use more streamlined ECM packages. Do F-16's typically use ECM pods as "standard" (Say, CAP, for example) nowadays when operating overseas?.... or do they use them just for specific mission types?

Thanks!

-Ryan

The loadout that's considered to be standard for A/A sports a centreline fuel tank (instead of the wing tanks) so that leaves no room for an ECM pod.
For purely A/G missions where you take 2 wing tanks, it's probably a good idea to take an ECM pod but that would also depend on the expected threat level.
IRL the last 20 years or so have seen operations in very low-threat environments so I can't see any reason why you'd use one - as there's simply no need.

Edited by Raven (Elysian Angel)
typo
  • Like 2
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

14 hours ago, RyanR said:

Here's a rookie question.

So many modern aircraft seem to use more streamlined ECM packages. Do F-16's typically use ECM pods as "standard" (Say, CAP, for example) nowadays when operating overseas?.... or do they use them just for specific mission types?

Thanks!

-Ryan

It does depend on squadron and wing equipment availability as well as standard operating procedures. If you go to the F-16.net wesite and search for PACAFI, you'll find a document containing standard loadouts for Pacific USAF squadrons. There you can see that most F-16C squadrons in that theatre mandate the use of ECM in every single loadout, no matter if it's A/A, A/G, SEAD, etc. Keep in mind though that just about every single USAF fighter squadron in the pacific theatre is heavily equipped and prepared for a full scale war against either China or North Korea. They are armed to the gills. If you went to your average USAF squadron on the mainland, I'm sure things would look very different. Same thing goes for COIN ops in the middle east.

• Like 1

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

5 hours ago, buceador said:

This post is relevant...

Well this is interesting! I've noticed that Modes #1/#2 don't seem to be very helpful, with only mode 3 being useful. I'll have to keep track of that post.

My question here was more of an "In real life" question, since the latest and greatest Russian hardware seems to use ECM in A/A.

-Ryan

5 hours ago, WHOGX5 said:

It does depend on squadron and wing equipment availability as well as standard operating procedures. If you go to the F-16.net wesite and search for PACAFI, you'll find a document containing standard loadouts for Pacific USAF squadrons. There you can see that most F-16C squadrons in that theatre mandate the use of ECM in every single loadout, no matter if it's A/A, A/G, SEAD, etc. Keep in mind though that just about every single USAF fighter squadron in the pacific theatre is heavily equipped and prepared for a full scale war against either China or North Korea. They are armed to the gills. If you went to your average USAF squadron on the mainland, I'm sure things would look very different. Same thing goes for COIN ops in the middle east.

Very interesting. This is the answer that I kind of suspected.

I will check that site out! Thanks!

-Ryan

• Like 1

On 4/23/2024 at 3:22 AM, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

The loadout that's considered to be standard for A/A sports a centreline fuel tank (instead of the wing tanks) so that leaves no room for an ECM pod.

That would be a QRA payload. Standard A/A (CAP, etc.) would have two bags.