F10 map glance view?

sthompson
Go to solution Solved by lengro,

Watching online videos of others playing DCS I sometimes see people bring up the f10 map for a very short period. I'm wondering if there is a way to map this to HOTAS so that a button press would take you to the F10 map while the button is held. Is there a keybind for that? I'd really like to be able to glance at the map without taking my hands off HOTAS. Suggestions welcome. I'm using VKB hardware, in case that matters.

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

So a momentary switch instead of a toggle.

Why not just press the button twice, as you do now? Is having to hold a button down to get the map to stay up any more or less work than simply needing to click the same button again to make the map disappear?

My wish is we had cockpit sound in the map view. Weird that we get "radio" messages (and I assume/hope voice-chat though frankly I haven't even tried it yet) in the map view but no engine noise, wind sound, damage sounds, and all the other sounds that would be particularly valuable and informative while "heads down" in the map.

1 hour ago, SMH said:

So a momentary switch instead of a toggle.

Why not just press the button twice, as you do now? Is having to hold a button down to get the map to stay up any more or less work than simply needing to click the same button again to make the map disappear?

What do you mean "as you do now?" In DCS the F10 key is not a toggle, nor is the control-F10 that switches to map view over your current point. I'd be happy with a toggle but I don't see one in the key bindings.

• Like 1

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

15 minutes ago, sthompson said:

What do you mean "as you do now?" In DCS the F10 key is not a toggle, nor is the control-F10 that switches to map view over your current point. I'd be happy with a toggle but I don't see one in the key bindings.

To find any known key function in the Controls Options, just hit the key or combo and it'll take you straight to that entry. (If you've already filtered the list with the dropdown or search function it won't work until the next time you enter the Controls Options screen.) You could have also just searched for "map".

image.png

6 minutes ago, SMH said:

To find any known key function in the Controls Options, just hit the key or combo and it'll take you straight to that entry. (If you've already filtered the list with the dropdown or search function it won't work until the next time you enter the Controls Options screen.) You could have also just searched for "map".

I'm fully aware of all of that. But the keybindings for the theater map are not toggles, or a glance view. So this is not helpful advice. I suspect the solution I'm seeking will be something other than a built in control. I've searched and tested those already.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, sthompson said:

I'm fully aware of all of that. But the keybindings for the theater map are not toggles, or a glance view. So this is not helpful advice. I suspect the solution I'm seeking will be something other than a built in control. I've searched and tested those already.

Again, you mean momentary. They are toggles because you hit them once to turn them on and again to turn them off. It toggles on and off. (Which, also again, is arguably no greater work than needing to hold a momentary switch down.)

You could maybe coax your controller's driver to send the same command when the button is released, but then you can end up with it reversed. (Though hitting the keyboard key will put it back in "sync".) 

Pressing F10 Twice leaves you in F10, not where you were previously before going into F10, I think is the problem..

• Like 3

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

13 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

Pressing F10 Twice leaves you in F10, not where you were previously before going into F10, I think is the problem..

Oh right, good point!

Does F10 do something different in the map or is it otherwise unused? If so, yeah, it should take you back to the view you were previously in before entering the map. THEN it would be a toggle.

Sorry, forgot it doesn't do that.

• Like 1

Only option is to use software to control the output of your controllers and look for a command that can give you different output on the second press.

Example: For my Warthog i use Target's SEQ command (sequence).

MapKey(&Throttle, LTB, SEQ(F10_Theater_map_view, F1_Cockpit_view)

First press F10, second press F1, next press F10 again and so on.

• Like 2

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

• Solution
Posted (edited)

Utilize that most buttons has two functions, on and off.

Add button press - here JOY_BTN21 - to F10, and button release - here JOY_BTN21_OFF - to F1  

image.png

So map opens when button is held, and goes to cockpit view on release

Edited by lengro
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, lengro said:

Add button press - here JOY_BTN21 - to F10, and button release - here JOY_BTN21_OFF - to F1  

image.png

that's a pretty smart way of doing it !

• Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

image.thumb.png.ba04ba13464fd7c392de4709f0cfd3ff.png

Was gonna write this. In any case I personally use VoiceAttack. "Map view", "Cockpit view", "centre on plane", "snatch coordinates" etc.

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Oh yeah, there are OFF functions! Who knew? LOL! (I always just press the button I want so I guess the OFF functions don't get applied that way as they'd always turn OFF when you release the button. Makes sense.) Well there's your answer, @sthompson!

Where did you find that "else" function, @MAXsenna? Searched for it, read every View option, but I don't see it. (Or is that mocked up? Or maybe particular to a certain aircraft? I thought all A/C shared the same View functions, no?)

I think we all learned something here tonight! LOL!null

image.png

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lengro said:

image.png

Who knew that there is an OFF function? I've never seen that before and I've been playing DCS a long time. Is it documented? How do you implement it? I do not recall seeing OFF functions in the button drop down lists for controls.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, sthompson said:

Who knew that there is an OFF function? I've never seen that before and I've been playing DCS a long time. Is it documented? How do you implement it? I do not recall seeing OFF functions in the button drop down lists for controls.

Just open the Key/Button dropdown. There they are! (I almost never use the dropdown because I prefer to just hit the control I want. And it understandably doesn't work for the OFF functions, so I never noticed them before now.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SMH said:

Where did you find that "else" function, @MAXsenna? Searched for it, read every View option, but I don't see it. (Or is that mocked up? Or maybe particular to a certain aircraft? I thought all A/C shared the same View functions, no?)

I could be wrong, but I don't think it's default, maybe @speed-of-heat is using a mod like

Quaggles Command Injector

It adds a bunch of extra commands

Edited by lengro
  • Like 2

Thanks all. I marked @lengro 's post as the solution but @speed-of-heat came up with an equally nice solution. Very much appreciate the help.

• Like 4