Open sesame

JetCat

Hi pilots,

after having seen this I have now bought the Apache:

Apachenluke.jpg

...just look at this awesome avionics and turbines! But unfortunately the magic open sesame code LCTRL + W that opens up the maintenance latches of the Black Shark does not function with the Apache.

What is the secret key combination to open her up like in the video? 😄

Posted (edited)

This feature isn‘t built in yet. It was teased in Wags latest AH64 video to come soon to the DCS AH64

But yes, it looks beautiful and I‘m really looking forward to!!!

Edited by corbu1
  • Like 1

DCS version2.9.5.55300
Modules: UH-1H - SA342 - KA-50 BS3 - MI-24P - MI-8MTV2 - AH-64D - CH-47F(Preorder) - UH-60L(Mod) - OH-6A(Mod) - A-10CII - F-16C - F/A-18C - FC3 -Combined Arms
 - Supercarrier - NTTR - Normandy2.0 - Persian Gulf - Syria - SA - Sinai - Afghanistan(Preorder) - Kola — Waiting for: OH-58D - BO-105 - AH-1G/F(Mod) - Australia - Iraq

DCS-Client: 10900K, 64GB 3600, RTX3090, 500GB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCS), VR VivePro2, PointCTRL, VaicomPro, Wacom Intuos S with VRK v2Beta

DCS-DServer: 11600KF, 32GB 3600, GTX1080, 1TB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCSDServer), DCS Olympus

Simpit: NLR Flightsim Pro, TM Warthog Grip with 30cm Extension + Throttle, VPforce Rhino FFB, Komodo Pedals with Dampers, VPC Rotorplus+CBkit+AH-64D Grip, NLR HF8, Buttkicker (3*MiniConcert), TotalControls AH64D MPD‘s, TM 2*MFD‘s, Streamdecks (1*32,3*15,1*6), VPC CP#1

Posted (edited)

Ah planned to be implemented into the next patch. Thank you very much for the answer, I am really looking forward to this awesome absolute great looking feature. The Apache surely will have a bright future as one of the most polished patched and well-maintained helicopter simulators that ever existed with extreme attention to detail.

Edited by JetCat

vor 55 Minuten schrieb NeedzWD40:

Hope we also get the wheel chock functionality that the AI already get:

Screen_240511_151944.jpg

Yes, would be nice. you can order the chief to place the wheel chocks, but none are shown….

• Like 1

DCS version2.9.5.55300
Modules: UH-1H - SA342 - KA-50 BS3 - MI-24P - MI-8MTV2 - AH-64D - CH-47F(Preorder) - UH-60L(Mod) - OH-6A(Mod) - A-10CII - F-16C - F/A-18C - FC3 -Combined Arms
 - Supercarrier - NTTR - Normandy2.0 - Persian Gulf - Syria - SA - Sinai - Afghanistan(Preorder) - Kola — Waiting for: OH-58D - BO-105 - AH-1G/F(Mod) - Australia - Iraq

DCS-Client: 10900K, 64GB 3600, RTX3090, 500GB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCS), VR VivePro2, PointCTRL, VaicomPro, Wacom Intuos S with VRK v2Beta

DCS-DServer: 11600KF, 32GB 3600, GTX1080, 1TB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCSDServer), DCS Olympus

Simpit: NLR Flightsim Pro, TM Warthog Grip with 30cm Extension + Throttle, VPforce Rhino FFB, Komodo Pedals with Dampers, VPC Rotorplus+CBkit+AH-64D Grip, NLR HF8, Buttkicker (3*MiniConcert), TotalControls AH64D MPD‘s, TM 2*MFD‘s, Streamdecks (1*32,3*15,1*6), VPC CP#1

Not that I'm not appreciative of good work, but what purpose does this serve? Are we going to be changing oil and swapping turbines before we take off now? Are the graphics guys bored while the programmers fix bugs?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

These awesome and for true aviators and true airplane/helicopter enthusiasts very important and fascinating details are getting implemented more and more also in Flight Simulator 2020 and are for immersion, and bringing the jet or helicopter to maximum realism. 🙂

Personally, I also think it's a bit unnecessary.
I'll probably open these once and then never again.
I don't know why that would add to the immersion. I want to fly the helicopter as a pilot and not repair it as a crew chief.

But I would also like to emphasize that a very good job was done there! And I don't want to complain in any way.

Keep doing what you're doing and then we'll have an even better helicopter.

Thanks to everyone who works to make DCS better.

2 minutes ago, Freiwilderer said:
Personally, I also think it's a bit unnecessary.
I'll probably open these once and then never again.
I don't know why that would add to the immersion. I want to fly the helicopter as a pilot and not repair it as a crew chief.

Then that feature wasn't made for you.

On 5/14/2024 at 10:13 AM, JetCat said:

These awesome and for true aviators and true airplane/helicopter enthusiasts very important and fascinating details are getting implemented more and more also in Flight Simulator 2020 and are for immersion, and bringing the jet or helicopter to maximum realism. 🙂

They were made for players with kind of reaction.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Only the best flight simulator in the world can offer this realism and these visuals:

episch.jpg

Most of the time I fly the instant-missions and the engine is already running so I cannot open the bonnet with the rotors spinning, but when a mission begins with shut-off turbines I always enjoy the best simulated engine ever created under the hood for some time before starting her up  😍 It´s like looking into a superb casemod computer with tempered glass side panels.

• Like 1

As a former 20 year H-60 chief IRL it's interesting to see the differences in the T-700 compared to the Hawk. I always knew there were some differences when perusing TM 1-2840-248-23 and TM-1-2840-248-23P, I mainly recall that the engine computer on the bottom (visible as the silver box with a cannon plug in the rear) was an ECU (Electronic Control Unit) on the 60 and a DEC (Digital Electronic Control) on the 64, but never really delved into the differences. Probably had something to do with adjusting fuel dumps into the engine via the HMU (Hyro-Mechanical Unit) as the aircraft definitely had different power demands depending on situations, with the 60 8-9000 pound sling load capabilities. 

It's a great engine, the amount of power compared to size is amazing. We could rip one of those out of the aircraft in about 30 minutes with an experienced mech. I was an inspector most of my career, and never really tore one down but used to inspect and sign off on all the maintenance done on them, and also responsible for borescoping them.

I could tell by the whine of the engine if there was blade/fod damage, and more than once had an aircraft pulled into the bay to borescope it. There were a number of ports all over the engine that let you see pretty much every blade and internals from front to back, but you kind of had to be a contortionist when trying to borescope it installed in the aircraft.

As a crewchief I once had an aircraft that was experiencing engine flameouts at low power settings (landing approaches) on BOTH engines, that is NOT fun. Spent weeks replacing parts per the TM troubleshooting, would pass the MTF fine, and then a week later another flameout. Almost got to the point of calling the GE or Sikorsky field rep, but eventually determined that it was the HMU on both engines, the odds of that happening one engine are slim, the odds of that happening on BOTH engines on the SAME aircraft around the SAME time are infinitesimal. The aircraft had recently been through a "refurb" / upgrade at Corpus Christi (a thing they were doing in the 90's). During those refurbs, all the parts were stripped and sent to various shops for teardown, inspection, and repair, and parts were placed in storage areas. When they finished with the airframes, they would go to the storage areas and just pick a new part out of storage and install it on the aircraft. The results was all the aircraft that came out of refurb never had the original components from the factory (gearboxes, engines, rotor blades,  etc. etc.) Very few original parts left on it. So we figured that the engines were tore down and inspected, the same thing occurred, and there was probably a batch of HMU's refurbed during a time period that made it onto the engines that went into that aircraft. Probably the same mech working on those HMU's during that process making the same error on probably a bunch of HMU's.

• Like 2

• ED Team
On 5/25/2024 at 6:02 PM, Hootman9104 said:

I mainly recall that the engine computer on the bottom (visible as the silver box with a cannon plug in the rear) was an ECU (Electronic Control Unit) on the 60 and a DEC (Digital Electronic Control) on the 64, but never really delved into the differences. Probably had something to do with adjusting fuel dumps into the engine via the HMU (Hyro-Mechanical Unit) as the aircraft definitely had different power demands depending on situations, with the 60 8-9000 pound sling load capabilities. 

The main differences between the engines on the UH-60 and AH-64 are just the airframe interface, primarily around how the Power Available and Load Demand spindles install onto the back of the HMU and the air turbine starter hook-ups. Aside from a few other tidbits here and there, like the IPS exhaust ducting and the fireshield mounted on top of the engines when installed on the AH-64, everything is more or less the same.

Strangely, the Oil Temperature sensor that is installed on the engines for when they are in UH-60's usually wasn't there for when they were installed on the AH-64. The AH-64 doesn't have an engine oil temperature indication; so when installed on the AH-64, the sensor well on the accessory gearbox was usually capped off. You would occasionally see an AH-64 engine with the sensor relay (green) cable's oil temp canon plug zip-tied and capped, but if I remember correctly, there was an alternative green cable for this engine configuration that simply lacked the wiring for the oil temp sensor, that way you didn't need to worry about the extraneous canon plug hanging around. Sometimes however, you would see an AH-64 engine with the oil temp sensor installed and hooked into the green cable, it just didn't connect to any cockpit indication.

The specific engine model is what drove the remaining differences, with the primary differences being the ECU on the T700-GE-700 and -701 engines being replaced by the DEC on the -701C and -701D/CC; and the POU on the -700 being replaced by the ODV on the -701 and onward. Back in the day, the -700 series was installed in the UH-60's and the -701 series was installed on the AH-64A. By the time they started fielding the AH-64D, the -701C was making its way to the fleet as the primary engine for AH-64D's. But by the early-2000's, the -701C series was becoming the standard engine across all AH-64 units, including AH-64A's.

What you were seeing was likely just a by-product of the -701C series becoming the standard across the AH-64 fleet, with the -700 engine being the typical engine in the UH-60 fleet.

• Like 2

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head