Is F-5E simplified enough? Solved: It's similar to flying Strike Fighters but better graphics, flight model & ai.

csbwho

I'm thinking to get back into DCS because they brought the F-5E jet into Flaming Cliffs 2024.

I like cold war jets due to less advanced controls, especially for weapons. And I prefer close quarters combat so bvr radar guided missiles are out.

I also prefer just having the basics for control of systems and flight (no trimming please).

Strike Fighters 2 fits my style of combat flying but the graphics were always a let down. And the ai.

The FC F-15C is simplified enough but uses bvr radar guided missiles.

So is the FC F-5E going to be similar to Strike Fighters for flight and systems control?

Craig

Edited by csbwho
Solved

Trimming is a fundamental thing for aircraft, which includes the F-5E. So if you are so turned off by the fact you have to trim it, you won't like it. 

But except that, I think the F-5 is simple enough even in the full fidelity version. 

Edited by razo+r
  • Like 2

Thanks for replying.

Do the Flaming Cliffs aircraft need to be trimmed?

I often flew the F-15 and it didn't seem to need trimming.

But having to trim won't be a deal breaker.

Full fidelity: Even the F-86 (I  bought it) has to many steps just to set up dumb bombs or rockets for my liking.

50 minutes ago, csbwho said:

Thanks for replying.

But having to trim won't be a deal breaker.

Full fidelity: Even the F-86 (I  bought it) has to many steps just to set up dumb bombs or rockets for my liking.

The aircraft that require trimming in real life, require it in the sim. Those that don’t, do not.

In the FC version, press “7” to select A2G mode. Press “D” to cycle and select weapon of choice. Press “RAlt+Space” to drop.

• Like 1

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 11 Pro x64, Asrock Z790 Steel Legend MoBo, Intel i7-13700K, MSI RKT 4070 Super 12GB, Corsair Dominator DDR5 RAM 32GB.

4 hours ago, csbwho said:

Yes, all FC aircraft need trimming except F-15C which has the auto-trim system for pitch, but you can still trim it.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX4070S   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  VPC CDT-VMAX  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Thanks Ironhand, that's the info I'm after. Seems similar to Strike Fighters. I think I will give dcs another try.

Ok, so the F-15C has auto trim. Very good feature.

That explains why I found other FC aircraft slight difficult to fly - especially the Mig-29, it would continually pushed nose up.

Thanks all for your help.

2 hours ago, csbwho said:

Ok, so the F-15C has auto trim. Very good feature.

That explains why I found other FC aircraft slight difficult to fly - especially the Mig-29, it would continually pushed nose up.

Funny story, back in the days of LOMAC I have chosen the F-15C for the exact same reason. The other aircraft lived their own lives, I couldn't keep them in control. But I simply didn't know any better - didn't know about trimming at all. I was veteran in F-19 and F-117 and they didn't need trimming either :megalol:

Now if you have free hat on your joystick it takes really short time to learn and trimming quickly becomes second nature, no need to think about it.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX4070S   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  VPC CDT-VMAX  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Similar story for me, Draconus.

I only learned about trim early last year when trying to better control the FF F-86.

On a side note; I need to buy a pc for dcs and your signature shows a cpu/gpu configuration that is possibly at a level similar to what I'm planning to get: i5 14400F / rx 6600.

Is your system good enough to play dcs at medium to high graphics settings? What is the fps range?

I will be playing single player, curved screen, and enjoy flying & dogfighting at low altitude - Dubai is great for dogfights amongst the skyscrapers.

5 hours ago, csbwho said:

i5 14400F / rx 6600.

More than enough for a CPU and OK for GPU, but if the curved monitor is anywhere near 4K I'd aim for better GPU.

My current system is used with low end VR and it's good enough for me, but far from optimal.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

This is to follow up with the outcome of my query.

I have installed DCS and upgraded FC3 to FC4.

The F-5E has the same simplicity for flying and weapons firing as Strike Fighters. So very happy with it.

I have focused on the F-5 because I prefer close air combat which early heat seeking missiles allow.

This is desktop system specs:

Intel i5 14400f

Geforce RTX 4060

32gb RAM

1Tb nvme SSD

Graphics set to high.

FPS 120-190 with 10+ aircraft in the local air space.

I only fly single player via curved monitor.

Edited by csbwho

• csbwho changed the title to Is F-5E simplified enough? Solved: It's similar to flying Strike Fighters but better graphics, flight model & ai.
On 8/30/2024 at 8:43 PM, csbwho said:

This is to follow up with the outcome of my query.

I have installed DCS and upgraded FC3 to FC4.

The F-5E has the same simplicity for flying and weapons firing as Strike Fighters. So very happy with it.

I have focused on the F-5 because I prefer close aircombat.

This is desktop system specs:

Intel i5 14400f

Geforce RTX 4060

32gb RAM

1Tb nvme SSD

Graphics set to high.

FPS 120-190 with 10+ aircraft in the local air space.

I only fly single player via curved monitor.

Excellent. Enjoy!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 11 Pro x64, Asrock Z790 Steel Legend MoBo, Intel i7-13700K, MSI RKT 4070 Super 12GB, Corsair Dominator DDR5 RAM 32GB.