mbucchia QV bypassed with new DCS patch

AhSoul

Figured it might be worth me posting this here as well as the patch discussion thread where it might get lost.

I'm on the new patch with QV added to DCS settings, but it's not checked. However my mbucchia QV is being bypassed:

2024-09-30 21:12:53 +0100: XR_APILAYER_MBUCCHIA_quad_views_foveated layer (v1.1.3) is active
2024-09-30 21:12:53 +0100: Using layer: XR_APILAYER_MBUCCHIA_quad_views_foveated
2024-09-30 21:12:53 +0100: Using layer: XR_APILAYER_MBUCCHIA_toolkit
2024-09-30 21:12:53 +0100: Using layer: XR_APILAYER_FREDEMMOTT_OpenKneeboard
2024-09-30 21:12:53 +0100: Using layer: XR_APILAYER_VIRTUALDESKTOP_oculus_compatibility
2024-09-30 21:12:53 +0100: Requested extension: XR_KHR_D3D11_enable
2024-09-30 21:12:53 +0100: Requested extension: XR_KHR_visibility_mask
2024-09-30 21:12:53 +0100: Requested extension: XR_OCULUS_audio_device_guid
2024-09-30 21:12:53 +0100: Requested extension: XR_EXT_hand_tracking
2024-09-30 21:12:53 +0100: Requested extension: XR_HTCX_vive_tracker_interaction
2024-09-30 21:12:53 +0100: Requesting extension: XR_EXT_eye_gaze_interaction
2024-09-30 21:12:53 +0100: Requesting extension: XR_FB_eye_tracking_social
2024-09-30 21:12:53 +0100: Application: DCS (DCS.exe)
2024-09-30 21:12:53 +0100: XR_APILAYER_MBUCCHIA_quad_views_foveated layer will be bypassed

Do I need to do something to get it to not be bypassed?

Or do I need to tick the DCS option, which then uses mbucchia QV?

Edited by AhSoul
  • Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Soul's pit thread

17 minutes ago, Rufuz64 said:

I also wonder what the purpose of the button is. Having several on/off buttons for one and the same thing makes no sense to me.

It only does one thing. The button turns on or off Quad-Views if you currently have it installed, i.e. the Quad-Views-Foveated API layer that a number of us have had installed for a while now. More convenient than using Fred's OpenXR Layer GUI tool (for people not familiar with all the tooling available) as Quad-Views-Foveated itself does not have any ui for turning it on or off.

6 minutes ago, PawlaczGMD said:

or disabling it in PimaxXr (for pimax)

Quad-Views can be used by numerous headsets, not just Pimax, and those don't have a UI for turning it on or off.

Note that the PimaxXR option would have likely disabled the entire Quad-Views api layer on your system...the DCS setting doesn't, it just disables it in game.

Edited by sleighzy
  • Thanks 1

vor 1 Minute schrieb sleighzy:

It only does one thing. The button turns on or off Quad-Views if you currently have it installed, i.e. the Quad-Views-Foveated API layer that a number of us have had installed for a while now. More convenient than using Fred's OpenXR Layer GUI tool (for people not familiar with all the tooling available) as Quad-Views-Foveated itself does not have any ui for turning it on or off.

Thank you for the clarification.

Strangely enough, the (undocumented) ‘Track the eye position’ button behaves differently. If I switch it off, the eye tracking on my Pimax still works...

Are you telling me that if someone wants to enable mbucchia's QVFR, in addition to following the installation instructions on github, they will have to enable this option in DCS or it will not work? Or the first time the layer is installed this option will appear checked?

11 hours ago, gonvise said:

Are you telling me that if someone wants to enable mbucchia's QVFR, in addition to following the installation instructions on github, they will have to enable this option in DCS or it will not work? Or the first time the layer is installed this option will appear checked?

Yes because QV has API where system is offering this capability and game confirm that it will use it.

12 hours ago, gonvise said:

Enable it in DCS, DCS presents it as supported...all good 👍

14900KS | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

1 hour ago, Doggo said:

If I enable it, DCS crashes for me. It's warning me that I'm using OpenXR and OpenXR motion compensation.

It's quite confusing now.

Do you mean OpenXR Toolkit and not "OpenXR"? Disable the OpenXR Toolkit and try again.

You can install this tool to see all the API layers and untick the boxes for OpenXR Toolkit and OpenXR Motion Compensation (just leave quad_views) and see if that resolves the issue.

https://github.com/fredemmott/OpenXR-API-Layers-GUI

Edited by sleighzy

2 hours ago, sleighzy said:

Do you mean OpenXR Toolkit and not "OpenXR"? Disable the OpenXR Toolkit and try again.

You can install this tool to see all the API layers and untick the boxes for OpenXR Toolkit and OpenXR Motion Compensation (just leave quad_views) and see if that resolves the issue.

https://github.com/fredemmott/OpenXR-API-Layers-GUI

Thanks! That tool is very useful.

I reinstalled quadviews and its working. I need the openxr support for my accessories.

See the screenshot message, anybody else have warnings like that?

Quad Views On.png

Edited by Doggo

I get far worse performance now then before the patch with my Pimax crystal. I have Quadview and eye tracking on in DCS, yet i still have like 10-15FPS less then before that patch, and this patch was supposed to include various performance improvements.  Looking at the VR capture I did in OBS, it seems my quad view settings from quad view companions aren't working. 

• Like 1

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

52 minutes ago, Gunfreak said:

I get far worse performance now then before the patch with my Pimax crystal. I have Quadview and eye tracking on in DCS, yet i still have like 10-15FPS less then before that patch, and this patch was supposed to include various performance improvements.  Looking at the VR capture I did in OBS, it seems my quad view settings from quad view companions aren't working. 

1. Try disabling turbo mode in QV. The same thing happened to me and by deactivating it it worked again.

or

2. Try VRS Foveated Rendering (OpenXR Toolkit). It still works better for me than QVFR and it doesn't matter whether you activate the options within DCS or not. 

nullimage.png

• Thanks 1

Interesting post on Reddit by mbucchia:

His suggestion is to uninstall OpenXR toolkit, a piece of software which isn’t maintained in the last two years.

Edited by Gideon312

System:

Win11 Pro, X670E AORUS MASTER, AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090, Corsair MP400 SSD (1TB for WIN), Corsair MP700 PRO (2TB for DCS), VR PIMAX Crystal.

On 10/1/2024 at 8:47 AM, Rufuz64 said:

Thank you for the clarification.

Strangely enough, the (undocumented) ‘Track the eye position’ button behaves differently. If I switch it off, the eye tracking on my Pimax still works...

I recommend leaving the eye tracking in DCS off. Use the Pimax eye tracking. I found that enabling the eye tracking in DCS reduces image sharpness. 

5 hours ago, Gideon312 said:

Interesting post on Reddit by mbucchia:

His suggestion is to uninstall OpenXR toolkit, a piece of software which isn’t maintained in the last two years.

Yes, definitely. This was news to me as well, although if you used quad views before then I think you had to zero OXRTK  settings as part of the set up process. Every day is a school day in VR...

On 10/2/2024 at 2:51 AM, Doggo said:

Thanks! That tool is very useful.

I reinstalled quadviews and its working. I need the openxr support for my accessories.

See the screenshot message, anybody else have warnings like that?

Quad Views On.png

Disable or uninstall OXRTK if you are using quad views and uncheck Track the eyes position in DCS if you have eye tracking enabling in your headset ( I use a Pimax Crystal).

• Like 1