Other high fidelity sims.

Giantsfan24

OK, as I do with all my new topics, I would like to start by thanking the devs for making such an awesome sim and putting in so much detail time.

Now, I have been playing sims since I first tried IAF(remember that Jane's series of light sims). I have played everything from Falcon 4.0 to Lock On to Il-2 to EECH.

My question is is there anything else that came close to the fidelity of DCS? I don't mean the clickable cockpit because as cool and immersive as that is, a keyboard button is would be the same thing as far as final effect. I mean really having to LEARN to fly the darn thing. The extremely detail weapons system. The fact that flying in a straight line is actually a challenge. Unfortunately, I got into sims at the tail end of the "sim boom" of the later 90's so I missed games like Longbow and Jane's F-15.

EECH was an awesome game with a killer campaign system but after flying DCS, it seams SO easy, especially when really all you have to do is kick radar on, wait for a threat to be identified, fire.

Anyway, I'm babbling now but any thoughts on this to satisfy my curiosity?

Not a lot to talk about regards helicopter combat sims really. Janes Combat sims set the benchmark in the 90's and EECH has been the only bright light since then, until DCS Blackshark. DCS Black kicks arse in most areas with the exception of EECH's dynamic campaign system, and the lack of a blue force heli of course ;)

Well, it's not quite the same fidelity and I don't know if you mean sims in general or only combat flight sims but of course there's MS Flight Simulator and X-Plane, GTR 2 (racing car simulation), Dangerous Waters and Silent Hunter 3+4 (submarine sims).

On a different note: you haven't actually missed anything since you should still be able to play those old sims you've mentioned. May require a bit of search and maybe the help of an emulator software but it's possible.

Don't forget space sims.

Orbiter Simulator with high fidelity addons - like Ultra, Fleet, AMSO, NASSP

Space Shuttle Mission 2007 simulator

Their learning curve and study exceeds DCS significantly.

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

I don't think I've ever seen a sim close to the fidelity of Black Shark, however you might look at Dangerous Waters or Steel Beasts for examples of good simulators in other genres. I also like Silent Hunter 3 & 4, when the realism options are cranked up on those you really need to work :) I mod both those last ones BTW, to give me better tools & behaviors.

You already mentioned Falcon 4, which in it's various flavours is about as hi-fi as you're going to get otherwise.

Dangerous Waters is not a good simulator unfortunately - it can and does give you an idea of how submarine warfare works, but it is fraught with bugs.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Dangerous Waters is not a good simulator unfortunately - it can and does give you an idea of how submarine warfare works, but it is fraught with bugs.

Yes, it is but the reason I mentioned it, is because DW actually is pretty complex and it's also the only simulation of modern submarines (Silent Hunter takes place during WW2), which makes it a reference title.

Edited by -=fox=-

$5 fine for using the word "fraught". ;)

Dusty Rhodes

Play HARD, Play FAIR, Play TO WIN

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit / Intel i7 4790 Devils Canyon, 4.0 GIG /ASUS Maximus VII Formula Motherboard/ ASUS GTX 1080 8 GB/ 32 Gigs of RAM / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / TrackIR 5 / 2 Cougar MFD's / Saitek Combat Pedals/ DSD Button Box FLT-1

the open source falcon4 is pretty good and lock-on FC

you could try flight Gear (free open source) A-10cuba if you are happy to go back a few years that's the first really detailed SIM i can remember + had clickable mouse cockpit

but i think with what i have owned falcon4 lockon FC and BS hold the top rank and all are very good in there own area of things.

flight sim x is not bad but the level of detail is not as good as the others i have mentioned but there is some good payware addons for it. i never played longbow 2 or janes f18 :cry: so not sure what there like

any other thoughts?

HP TouchSmart IQ816 / 25.5" HD touch screen / 9600GS 512/ Core 2 Duo 2.16 / 4GB RAM / VISTA 64 / CH Fighterstick

the open source falcon4 is pretty good and lock-on FC

you could try flight Gear (free open source) A-10cuba if you are happy to go back a few years that's the first really detailed SIM i can remember + had clickable mouse cockpit

but i think with what i have owned falcon4 lockon FC and BS hold the top rank and all are very good in there own area of things.

flight sim x is not bad but the level of detail is not as good as the others i have mentioned but there is some good payware addons for it. i never played longbow 2 or janes f18 :cry: so not sure what there like

any other thoughts?

Open Falcon is in no way open source if it were it would not be the sim it is today. The sourcecode is still held and currently only small modifications can be done by GF. The EXE for the new BMS is already locked since they started working on it.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

Jane's F-18 is the only one i have in mind. (cause it's the only one i got from the high fid classics..) They say it's avionics is pretty close to the Real Super Hornet.

I've been looking at some VRS Superbug screenies for FS2004 and their displays are quite familiar though with more bonuses. Proves that Jane's did a great job at modeling Superbug avionics.

About Jane's Flight model though, they say it lacks.. but at least the carrier ops were also detailed~ :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You mean the best ufo combat flight sim where you can't shoot anything ...

Best jet combat flight sim FM has to go to VRS Superhornet for FS9.:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Only ones I know are il2 series, x-plane, Su-25 in Lock On Flamming Cliffs and DCS:Ka-50. All other flight simulations I think don't have good flight models, specially under extreme conditions (high aoa, out of envelope fly, etc.), including basic Lock-On, Falcon, etc etc.

AMD Ryzen 1400 // 16 GB DDR4 2933Mhz // Nvidia 1060 6GB // W10 64bit // Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2

You mean the best ufo combat flight sim where you can't shoot anything ...

No that award goes to FSX accelerations hornet VRS superhornet is on the same level as the SU25T in Flaming cliffs. In fact its beyond anything possible in Falcon because they modeled the FBW correctly and you can Pirouette. BTW the FSX acceleration Hornet is still a good aircraft to fly its carrierops are quite good just a pity it wasn't able to shoot anything apart from UFOs.

Edited by SUBS17

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

Jane's F-18 is the only one i have in mind. (cause it's the only one i got from the high fid classics..) They say it's avionics is pretty close to the Real Super Hornet.

I've been looking at some VRS Superbug screenies for FS2004 and their displays are quite familiar though with more bonuses. Proves that Jane's did a great job at modeling Superbug avionics.

About Jane's Flight model though, they say it lacks.. but at least the carrier ops were also detailed~ :)

VRS Superhornet is well beyond Janes F/A-18 in all aspects only advantage Janes has over it is that VRS is an addon for FS where combat is not possible in MP or proper combat in single player. It really does belong as an addon though for either DCS or FO.:thumbup:

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forget the seven G. Its current state is very promising considering its developed by volunters and its fref. VRS is good (judging by screenshoot and youtube ) but I doubt it worth 40 bucks ? How do you model AG radar in F9 ? Good luck.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

It doesn't have A/G radar but it does have everything else its more detailed than even Falcon in alot of areas like Avionics etc. It also models electronic warfare, SAMs and the use of towed decoys. IMO it really belongs in a combat sim though like DCS or FO.:thumbup:

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]