Track IR 5 anyone??

Hello!!

Wondering if anyone has gotten the TrackIR 5 yet and what they think of it..?

Contemplating an upgrade from my current TrackIR 3 (without 6dof expansion), is it worth it? Or should I get the now cheaper Track IR 4??

I have the 4. If I didn't have one, I'd go for the 5.

4 has very good performance; I use it fine for all switches in the virtual cockpit. 5 is only better: more precision.

What's the price difference?

i7-7700K@4.8GHz, 16Gb-3200, GTX-1080Ti-Strix-11Gb, Maximus IX Hero, Oculus Rift, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C, Logitech G940 Pedals.

I got the 5 with also the track clip pro thing a few days ago. But I had the 3 pro before, so the step, performance wise, is HUGE. Very accurate, works in bright conditions, very small form factor, large field a view which allow me to twist my head in positions where the 3 pro used to loose track.

So far, very statisfied.

Guest misterbeaker

i upgraded from track ir 3 to 5 now too but i also compared to version 4 (which a friend owns). performance and field of view is better with TIR5 so i chose the newest model. it's worth the higher price

Thx for this info.

Just ordered myself a Trackir 5 instead of Trackir 4 pro. Hope to get it in a few days.:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel dual core E8500 @ 3,16 Ghz / 4 Gb mem / Asus P5B / Nvidia 9800 GTX+ 512 Mb / Xp home 32 :pilotfly:

I don't think I'll ever buy anything from Natural Point: "Eagle Dynamics, developer of DCS: Black Shark and other popular Flight Simulation titles, implemented an alternative view control interface along side the TrackIR interface but limited it to supporting 3DOF at NaturalPoint's request" http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=33510. I'm no lawyer, but isn't that anti-competative behaviour that could have some serious consequences? Plus it's WAY overpriced, just download free track and buy a webcam and you're set for under $40!

You are not just buy the softwere... That thing that goes ontop of the monitor costs money.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

:rolleyes:

TrackIR is MUCH more than just webcam technology.

http://www.simhq.com/_technology2/technology_150a.html

Yes, but FreeTrack + a mid-range webcam will do the same thing that Track IR will (except you can't move your head around as fast?), but will cost you $100 less.

As far as I know, Natural Point is the only company who make a head tracking system, so they have the monopoly and can charge a rediculous amount of money for something that isn't worth that much. Really disappointing what they are resorting to.

I got the TIR5 a week ago and I like it so far. My flying has improved. Mainly using it in ARMA 2. Only gripe I have is it has to many wires. I thought the pro clip was a battery unit but its not it has wires. And I have a gaming laptop and there is just to many things going on around my head lol.

I'm amazed price is even debated. The price is very reasonable for such a niche product. My opinion is that $150 isn't even that much money to begin with, but I know others may disagree. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I figured that most people around here have spent a great deal more that $150 on their computer, HOTAS/Joystick, rudder pedals, etc.

I don't think I'll ever buy anything from Natural Point: "Eagle Dynamics, developer of DCS: Black Shark and other popular Flight Simulation titles, implemented an alternative view control interface along side the TrackIR interface but limited it to supporting 3DOF at NaturalPoint's request" http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=33510. I'm no lawyer, but isn't that anti-competative behaviour that could have some serious consequences? Plus it's WAY overpriced, just download free track and buy a webcam and you're set for under $40!

In Europe that will get you in trouble. But then again the interface starts to become a de facto standard that everyone will use if sims don't support different standards by request.

As for the price it is a good product in a niche market where there is no commercial competition, they can charge what the market will bear and good luck to them. It looks like time of flight cameras might obsolete the product though in a few years if it doesn't change.

Anyway am loving the immersion that I get from mine, transforms flight sims and makes them so much easier, no faffing about with the view!

"Anything is worth what it's purchaser will pay for it" (quote from civ4 :P said with the voice of Spock (I believe))..

I agree, I don't like that kind of "anti-competetive" behaviour either.. Did you ever buy anything from Microsoft btw? :D

Each to his own..