Who else likes flying manually?

Who else likes flying manually?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Who else likes flying manually?

• [Auto + Trimming]: I use full auto and I am the trimmer king, only realism for me, baby!
    • [Auto only]: Full auto for me too but this trimming, I can't get it right yet.
    • [Trimming only]: No power to computers! I like it smoothly trimmed though.
    • [Nothing]: We had a man on the moon? Yeah, my lawn is trimmed fine, pal.

I mostly fly manual only, so all stabilisation channels are off all the time. I also don't use trimming much, unless I need to type long sentences into the chat. I think this makes it more fun to fly, less riding on a train, less switch fiddeling because you have to disable stabilisation channels to make decent turns. The KA-50 feels much more alive when flown like this, I like that. It is also more rewarding. And I think it is a pity that many virtual pilots here will miss out on the nice flight dynamics modelled in this sim.

Of course it is more difficult to use other helicopter functions if you have to be focused on flying all the time. And I realize the real helicopter needs those stabilisations for long distance flights, navigation tasks, and so on to offload stress from the pilot. Hey, even switching ABRIS zoom modes is a daunting task under these circumstances while in a hover.

Most likely I will never be as effectively deploying the helicopter as a pilot that uses these aids.

I use stick, throttle, pedals and trackir and I know "this is not how the real KA-50 pilots do it" and "this is not what is written in the manual" and so on.

I just would like to know, who else likes to fly without stabilisations?

You may like it - but then again, the "real Ka-50" doesn't do it from what I've learned through a few of these similar post on the forum :)

AP stabilized dampers is one of the functions to maintain stable flight and quality aiming.

Hence I use it to the full extent :)

EDIT: I see you snuck in a poll - sorry, not into that kinda kinky stuff. :p

Edited by Panzertard

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

Not me. There is so much to do in the cockpit especially in combat that i use all the help the BS can provide so i can offload some of the workload. Ed Macy also recommended this in his excellent review.(I suppose you know who he is). In a real scenario the way you fly wouldn't be possible. I don't think that the way you fly makes you a better pilot from some one that is using all the AP channels. A lot of guys think that way. In combat there is more than flying. Efficiency is more needed.

Edited by connos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ASUS M4A79 Deluxe, AMD Phenom II X4 940@3.5GHz, ATI 6870 1GB, Windows 7 64bit, Kingstone HyperX 4GB, 2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB, Asus Xonar DX Sound Card, Saitek X52 PRO, TrackIR 44: Pro.

I love the Flight Director and 99% of the time I'll use that, but with the AP stabilisation channels on (excluding Alt). Otherwise the workload becomes far too high in a combat environment when you are single pilot.

Sure, if it's a nice cool day where I have oodles of power to spare and there is zero chance of something dangerous then yeah why not.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

I love the Flight Director and 99% of the time I'll use that, but with the AP stabilisation channels on (excluding Alt). Otherwise the workload becomes far too high in a combat environment when you are single pilot.

Same here FD all the time, only time I fly without the stabilisation is when my Hydro system is shot to pieces.

Nate

In CH 46 Pilot training (at least) it is in their flighttraining to fly it without the SAS-systems engaged.

I think it is the same for KA-50 pilots.

But it's only intended to prepare them for if these systems should malfunction.

They never fly it SAS-off normally since there are a lot of limitations (speed, bank, pitch etc.) involved if these systems are off.

But I like to fly KA-50 simulator without the systems when not conducting a mission since it is a lot of fun and a big challange to land it properly on to a small roof on a building.

The FAQ specifically says that flying with all of the autopilots off is actually not realistic at all, because the real world pilots in normal circumstances have to fly with it on. So I leave it on.

But of course it is a sim so you can fly how you want, but i've read that you pick up pretty bad flying habits in the process. Black Shark is meant to be flown like a training simulation if you are wanting to do the most realistic settings. If you wouldn't fly it like you would in real life, then you wouldn't want to fly it any differently in the sim.

I use Autopilot + FDAP always. The last days i try to Fly without Auto Hover and Autoturn.

Its mutch more Fun. After some Training its Easy to hover manualy or Fire in sidewards moving. Even if its hard first, its easyer then all the Autohover autoturn and so on.

I fly fully manual on relaxation flights.

In combat I use all the dampeners/stabilisation channels or whatever they're called (the four blue buttons) for normal flight and the flight director for slow flight or hovering.

I trim constantly however (I use FFB) regardless of the above..

I'll also use alt-hold sometimes..

I fly all time in AUTO plus my trim.

Sometimes I engage then disengage alt autopilot :)

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

I fly the way that best lets me kill things without being killed. Sometimes that means FD off, Autohover ON with Turn on Target engaged. But usually it means FD on which allows me to fly without having to worry about feeding, nurturing, and massaging the AP with the trimmer. Anyway, this "real" "not real" discussion is silly until a Ka50/52 pilot posts on this forum how its really done. Until then, our best guide is the ED supplied FM which states that the FD is usually used.

Smokin' Hole

My DCS wish list: Su25, Su30, Mi24, AH1, F/A-18C, Afghanistan ...and frankly, the flight sim world should stop at 1995.

The 'ED supplied' FM states that ED found out after talking to army aviation pilots of the Ka-50, that FD is NOT used.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Actually I tried to prevent a fueled discussion about what is right or wrong or what is more realistic.

I only wanted to know who else likes to fly without or with less autopilot support because I think it feels better. Your replies so far are interesting and I am also happy to see that I am not the only one who likes to fly without stabilisations.

Actually it is impressive how stable the KA-50 is in a hover without the stabilisations engaged. Thumbs up to the Kamov engineers. Maybe this also comes from the twin rotor design. Sometimes I am not even sure if I am flying without stabilisations.

When I cold start and don't engage any of the 4 stabilisation channels there are no autopilot stabilisations active, right? Or am I missing something?

Correct, there is no stabilization if you don't engage any of the channels ... and you -will- feel the difference if you use it one way, and then the other.

Not just switching between them in the same flight/mission, but fly a mission with, one without.

Sure, taking off the channels allows you 'low level' control of the helicopter. On the other hand, the channels are there to reduce your workload and they do, providing that you are willing to work with them. Most people think helis and other aircraft just get yanked around all over the place, which the stabilization channels impede - this is just not true.

Further, there are several ways to disengage the autopilot influence and just keep the stabilization also.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

The only time I really ever engage the AP is when I want a hover, otherwise, I do it all by hand with trim.

Current Sims:

DCS Black Shark, Falcon 4.0, X-Plane 9, Steel Beasts Pro PE, IL-2 1946, ArmA 2, FSX, Rise of Flight, EECH, Harpoon 3 ANW, CSP

The 'ED supplied' FM states that ED found out after talking to army aviation pilots of the Ka-50, that FD is NOT used.

We are reading two different Flight Manuals. But in any case if real Ka-50 pilots (of which there are what, twenty?) flies and fights with a Saitek control system they might use the FD differently.

Smokin' Hole

My DCS wish list: Su25, Su30, Mi24, AH1, F/A-18C, Afghanistan ...and frankly, the flight sim world should stop at 1995.

I'd normally fly with AP on, and use FD for landing and gunning the occasional truck. But I experimented with flying manually, and I think it's worth trying for a few hours just to get an appreciation of how much smoother the AP makes everything.