The T-50 (PAK-FA) Thread

nscode

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's just an optical illusion caused by the angles. Certain angles from the "flying" vid corresponds with the runway test pic.

They are different aircraft. One has a complete paint job, the other one is still flying in its primered paint job...even though it isnt nothing to just take that tail section off in a matter of a few hours and change out a pod or 2 from back there. Of course, it kind of reminds me of the test space shuttle that has that aerodynamic cone covering the engines when they glide the craft off the back of the 747.

Space Shuttle Atlantis

Edited by hitman

Thanks Sherlock. :music_whistling:

Not a single bit of technical info is available. No one on the Russian forum even dared to make such statements that you are proclaiming...

Even in bablefished russian I was able to find several such statements. Search better.

Pilotasso, calling the MiG-35 Russia's Super Hornet is acceptable, but PAK-FA...?

C'mon, the Super Hornet is a big modernization, but it's still called "Hornet", it looks almost the same, and the F/A-18 designation just received an "E"/"F" in the end.

Even saying the Rafale is "France's Super Hornet" wouldn't be quite right.

The PAK-FA is a whole different story. Well, it's true that, as all manufacturers, they used some stuff they learned over the years and applied on the project. But the difference from one or two similar details to being just a big modernization is huge ;)

Actually it is a complete redesign. They kept the looks (ie aerodynamics) and designation for political reasons - no doubt this also saved them some effort.

Thats why I called Superhornet of russia. Mig-35 would be Russians block 60 mig. :)

Edited by Pilotasso

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Not at all they are the same aircraft and don`t have complete paint job:

snapshot20100129192434.jpg

There was one posted on yahoo! news, a picture of the PAK-FA that had the blue/white blob paint scheme...unless that one wasnt a different aircraft, which Im pretty sure it was.

By the way, Gigz-on, are you testing the new Eyeball Mk.2 or what :P?

First: I'm not testing anything.. ;)

Second: Pogosyan says that there're totally three T-50s for flying tests:

- one with old type engines

- one with new 5th gen engines

- not finished one

so there easily could be two different planes on the picture ;)

Edited by gigz-on

Thats why I called Superhornet of russia. Mig-35 would be Russians block 60 mig. :)

Yeah, if the Super hornet is a 5th gen stealth fighter than yeah maybe PAK-FA is the Super hornet of Russia. :doh: But I understand, now that the pictures are out and the videos also, ladies and gentlemen let the trolling begin!!! Things like this will be common from now on: "PAK-FA is an F-22 copy but fugly", "Stealth, nope, it will have RCS of a Jumbo jet", "F-35 can beat 4 of these with no effort, imagine what a single F-22 can do... we are talking squadrons here", "Big payload? Those two bays could not possibly store more than 2 missiles each, and I`m talking small ones like R-60"...

There was one posted on yahoo! news, a picture of the PAK-FA that had the blue/white blob paint scheme...unless that one wasnt a different aircraft, which Im pretty sure it was.

The blue one is fake as hell. THIS is the only prototype, at least the only one shown to the public.

Edited by topol-m

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Perhaps useful observations:

- the canopy opens back, a la the Harrier. This probably implies that the front canopy railing is there for good and there will not be a one-piece canopy. Related, there is railing along the top of the canopy as well, a la the Su-25. Perhaps at least this part will disappear at some point.

- (via Chizh on the RU forums) the bulges underneath the wings adjacent to the main gear bays are internal stations for short-range air-to-air missiles. As a personal guess, this may imply that the two main internal bays can hold up to 2 medium-range AA missiles of the R-77 class for a total "stealth" payload of 4 medium range and 2 short-range missiles.

- there is a visible space between the leading edge of the front LERX and the fuselage. Perhaps a vortex generation technique or perhaps a moving LERX section.

- the LERX appear to be built for the L-band "side-looking" radar we've seen demonstrated on MAKS before.

- the engines appear to be well hidden if viewed from anything just above the aircraft. Straight on and below is not so clear.

My own 2 cents: Outside of the spherical engine installation, it looks 5-th generation enough to me. The build quality is certainly not as advanced as current Western standards (obvious riverting), but I think this will improve if the program is lucky enough to proceed as promised by the big wigs. There is a lot of talk about upgrading tooling machinery for produciton of the SuperJet, Su-34 and hopefully the PAK-FA. It may not be as stealthy as the F-22 or F-35, but IMO does appear to be a "proper" stealth airframe relative to the 4+ generation fighters.

As to its lines, I find clear similarities to the YF-23 on the front fuselage and the F-22 in the wings, but also enough indigenous lines to distinguish it as its own. In particular, the LERX and the extermely wide and relatively thin fuselage.

In all in all, it's not every day that Russia produces a new fighter, so congratulations to the people invovled and best of luck to the program.

Edited by EvilBivol-1

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

No different than the BS we used to hear (and still hear) about the F-22 :)

(Some people claim IRBIS=end of F22, too ;) )

Yeah, if the Super hornet is a 5th gen stealth fighter than yeah maybe PAK-FA is the Super hornet of Russia. :doh: But I understand, now that the pictures are out and the videos also, ladies and gentlemen let the trolling begin!!! Things like this will be common from now on: "PAK-FA is an F-22 copy but fugly", "Stealth, nope, it will have RCS of a Jumbo jet", "F-35 can beat 4 of these with no effort, imagine what a single F-22 can do... we are talking squadrons here", "Big payload? Those two bays could not possibly store more than 2 missiles each, and I`m talking small ones like R-60"..

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

There's at least 2 flyable versions of PAK-FA we saw so far+one used for ground tests only (with "old" Saturn engines that can't supercruise) ...apart from the tailcone difference one of flyables has a spherical EOS like antenna behind the canopy, the other one hasn't!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I HATE IT, LOOKS LIKE YF-23 and I realy dont understand why bend the plane in the middle, the opposite way then Su-27. Im disappointed hope it get some make over before entering service.

I think PAK-FA would have smaller profile the rapter and have les drag. Witch is needed to compensate probably weaker engines.

Then again Mi-28 dosen look good. :)

Edited by Teknetinium

Teknetinium 2017.jpg
                        51st PVO Discord SATAC YouTube

I'm not sure whether this plane is powered by AL-41 but it obviously features a tremendous thrust-to-weight ratio. That climb with gear down and no A/B is really impressive. Also, from what I read it will get it's AESA radar onboard somewhere around september.

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

Perhaps useful observations:

- the canopy opens back, a la the Harrier. This probably implies that the front canopy railing is there for good and there will not be a one-piece canopy. Related, there is railing along the top of the canopy as well, a la the Su-25. Perhaps at least this part will disappear at some point.

- (via Chizh on the RU forums) the bulges underneath the wings adjacent to the main gear bays are internal stations for short-range air-to-air missiles. As a personal guess, this may imply that the two main internal bays can hold up to 2 medium-range AA missiles of the R-77 class for a total "stealth" payload of 4 medium range and 2 short-range missiles.

- there is a visible space between the leading edge of the front LERX and the fuselage. Perhaps a vortex generation technique or perhaps a moving LERX section.

- the LERX appear to be built for the L-band "side-looking" radar we've seen demonstrated on MAKS before.

- the engines appear to be well hidden if viewed from anything just above the aircraft. Straight on and below is not so clear.

My own 2 cents: Outside of the spherical engine installation, it looks 5-th generation enough to me. The build quality is certainly not as advanced as current Western standards (obvious riverting), but I think this will improve if the program is lucky enough to proceed as promised by the big wigs. There is a lot of talk about upgrading tooling machinery for produciton of the SuperJet, Su-34 and hopefully the PAK-FA. It may not be as stealthy as the F-22 or F-35, but IMO does appear to be a "proper" stealth airframe relative to the 4+ generation fighters.

As to its lines, I find clear similarities to the YF-23 on the front fuselage and the F-22 in the wings, but also enough indigenous lines to distinguish it as its own. In particular, the LERX and the extermely wide and relatively thin fuselage.

In all in all, it's not every day that Russia produces a new fighter, so congratulations to the people invovled and best of luck to the program.

Wasnt the total bay capacity up to 8 missiles?

Also the engine ducts seem to be pretty much straight. Doesnt that make them visible on the frontal aspect?

Maybe this is prone to change? (with new engines)

My personal view, riveting may be minimized in the final plane just like Mig-35 is, though I believe, this, along with frontal and side profile reduction has been the main techniques for RCS reduction. Look how flat it looks.

Possibly this is why the aircraft is not monolithic in shape like the F-22 or F-35. (would make the PAK FA less flat and stand more to exposure sideways).

These are of course assumtpions, but makes sense because I dont believe the russians want the hassle of meticulous and expensive skin maintenace.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Mr. KOPP has been rated as an ignorant troll working for other aircraft lobies. His assumptions dont actualy have any facts behind them. F-35 aquisition by RAAF was a mediatic circus in australia with rampant bashing.

Edited by Pilotasso

My PC specs below:

...probably also has to do with agility at supersonic speeds a la SR-71 (or perhaps can work like blackwidows pelican tail?). Most rudders dont do that. Thats one feature the F35 doesnt have. But I think is due to the fact the 2 are probably aimed at different requirements.

Edited by Pilotasso

My PC specs below:

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

the statement saying the f-35 is slow, cant climb or turn is just stupid, when in fact its lighter than an f-16, has cleaner aerodynamics than an f-16, and has the most powerful low-bypass turbofan engine in existance! it has an enormous thrust to weight ratio, and to top it off, these things have unprecedented situational awareness capabilities.

last week, a british test pilot flew an f-35b for the first time, and he had absolutely no qualms about its performance

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/news/press_releases/2010/100127ae_f35bf-2_royal-airforce.html.

Anything that comes from Carlo Kopp is pure, unadulterated drivel. He knows nothing, and the best part of it all, he gets paid to publish his BS!

I wish I was this smart, I'd love to get paid for drivel :P

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda