SAM Simulator

Groove

thats right. I think I'll buy one of those secondhand 19 inch monitors just for this sim, and for extended desktop in general.

Edited by WildBillKelsoe

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

• 1 year later...

High-fidelity full-systems-level modeled SAM simulator!

Folks,

Just learned of this thanks to a post on /r/hoggit by /u/FarlanderMiG:

https://sites.google.com/site/samsimulator1972/home

A high-fidelity full-systems-level modeled SAM simulator!

I've always wondered what goes on at the nuts-and-bolts level from the "other" side whether soaring by in a F-15C or blazing in either a A-10 (A/C) or F-16 (by the Other Folks). And this delivers in spades!

TBH, I've not even started the simulator itself, just been browsing the documentation .... but that's just it, the documentation ALONE is amazingly rich, detailed, and comprehensive, providing not only excruciatingly fine-grained mechanization and operational details, but also great development/deployment history.

So take off the flight gloves, put away those Thrustmasters and the Saiteks, put on those tanker helmets (SA-8) or ushunkas (others) and check it out!

P.S. As a bonus, the site also offers an electronically-scanned radar array simulator so we can understand how the magic beams work!

I played with this simulator for a couple of weeks back when MH-17 was shot down. I wanted to know what it would take to be capable of shooting down such an aircraft.

It opened my eyes.

SAMs are just as complex as aircraft and I feel I really learned about the training necessary to operate such a beast, I also started diving into the NATO bombings of Serbia and take my hat off to the crew that shot down the infamous F-117. Zoltán Dani was an amazing officer.

It also let me dive into the Operation Linebacker background and replay the scenarios.

It is a full-blown "realistic to the switch" simulator, with the two-dimensional graphics and lack off co-op (SAMs really need a team of people) the biggest draw back.

Too bad ED and the guy behind SAM Simulator couldn't agree on the terms for inclusion into DCS. :(

• 2 weeks later...

I think ED are working on a consumer version of M1A2 as a CA sub module. I hope ED drags the other eye to SAMs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

• 3 years later...