quick and nasty

alan1976

hey all

I'm fairly new to DCS, but have played a bit in flight sims. Unfortunately, I can't bear the tutorials. They take so long, I start to drift off and miss what is being said. Is there not a quick tutorial on getting up and running. I did find one, but for some reason, when he said to do something, other stuff would happen to me. For example, when pressing 'o' to get the shkval down, my hud changes and I lose auto-hover.

thanks

Alan

Also, do not expect a "quick tutorial" in the sense that you run it and then you're good. You'll always have to put in some training time to make yourself remember what you need to do to achieve X.

However, I definitely recommend that you keep it to learning one thing at a time. It may seem slower when you are in the middle of it, but that way there is less confusion since you are focusing on one specific thing until it's implanted into muscle memory and thereby there's less time wasted just through forgetting.

It's easy to feel like you really want to get going with shooting something and start skipping systems, but that might bite you later. (Though there are obvioiusly systems you can skip - for singleplayer the datalink isn't as important as knowing how to deploy ATGMs after all.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Download a checklist, make a quick mission with just you on a ramp start. Keep going until you're in the air. After that add a few 'static' targets and a waypoint (and INU point for later). Fly there. Read on how to shoot stuff and engage the targets. Fly back and land. Read on how the PVI-9000 or whatever that mess of numbers is called works. Use the autopilot to fly to the INU point, engage enemy, AP it back to the airport and land. After that you'll have the basics to do whatever you want. Takes time but the more you play the more rewarding those kills are.

Left of your leg you have a radio selector knob that selects VHF1 etcetera. Place it all the way right and you'll have selected Ground Crew.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Quick question, How do I refuel and rearm without shutting everything all the way down? Been away from this sim for a couple months, do remember being able to do this though.

As above - Alternatively open the Cockpit Door. Works just as well.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'