How can the we (the community) improve gameplay?

Grimes

How can the we (the community) improve gameplay?  

156 members have voted

1. 1. How can the we (the community) improve gameplay?

• Gameplay Statistics (Online and Offline, I want to compare myself with other players)
    • Smarter Mission Design (Less units to kill, but harder to complete)
    • Online Requirements (all players must join a VOIP server or similar service)
    • More interaction (I want a multiplayer interface where I can interact with other players directly)
    • Task Ordered Missions (I want to choose a task specific to a mission and play my role)

For statistics, that information is already exported, it is just a matter of creating the stats pages. I can say that we are working on stats for FC2/BS when it is finally released. However I have no guarantees that it will interface with or be a part of the other game servers. I would love for a universal statistics page to exist where each server shares their stat info with each other. A while back we tried such a system, it implemented the 3Sqn, 51st, and RvE server stats into a single page. We had it up for a while, but it eventually it was dropped.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Why this is not a part of this community I don’t know, but I do know that you get bored when just completing the same map again and again without any chance to see your improvement.

Several squadrons hosting a dedicated Flaming Cliffs server on HyperLobby with the intent to draw more players to their servers. They can be found on: http://serik.dk/page7.html

As to why there are, as of yet, no Black Shark stats pages I do not know. However, whenever Flaming Cliffs 2.0 is released, I will adapt the stats page of the 51st PVO Regiment to work with FC2.0.

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Rusty, you do know that some Lock On servers like the 104th and 51st have stats right?

A global stats system is a good idea. Of course, squads want to give incentive for people to use their server so they work very hard to create their own stats, but global stats makes so much sense.

If it is possible for ED someday, they should include a global stats for DCS. The Battlefield series by Dice may be a FPS arcade shooter, but there are a lot of good ideas in that game that could be applied to the MP side of Lock On/DCS. Such as, in game VOIP on a private squad channel, base capture, map rotation with a team win, in game server browsing with a friends list (no lobby though!) dedicated server software with features for banning etc.

Rusty, you do know that some Lock On servers like the 104th and 51st have stats right?

Yes I knew that. Found myself on the 51st's list :P to bad I must say ;)

If ED are releasing stats posibilities it must be based on some web based database and that can of course be a coalition :thumbup: of server hosters that stats their servers together. I am looking forward to this :)

®

Several squadrons hosting a dedicated Flaming Cliffs server on HyperLobby with the intent to draw more players to their servers. They can be found on: http://serik.dk/page7.html

As to why there are, as of yet, no Black Shark stats pages I do not know. However, whenever Flaming Cliffs 2.0 is released, I will adapt the stats page of the 51st PVO Regiment to work with FC2.0.

Are the 51st not sharing the information or code for their stats pages? Can they not be adapted to DCS as it is now? Tell me more! :noexpression:

Are the 51st not sharing the information or code for their stats pages? Can they not be adapted to DCS as it is now? Tell me more! :noexpression:
I am very willing to share my knowledge in making a stats page.

I have started adapting the code for DCS, but it needs some major changes due to the fact that the DCS output is considerably different from FC1.12. Though it should not be too much work, I have trouble finding the time, especially as I hardly fly DCS myself. However, whenever FC2.0 comes out I'll put more time in, and might even be willing to adapt it so other squadrons can appear on the same stats page like we did with the 3Sqn, 51st and RvE.

• Like 1

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

IMO, there are two ways to have global stats.

A. Universally approved single stats engine. All squads agree on a way to do it and there is a central location.

B. Stat info is exported to all who want it and each server decides how to parse it.

As crunch said, stats are often used as an incentive and reason for players to join the game. I don't necessarily agree with this. I personally think stats help maintain a player base to an extent. But if we adopted a universal stats engine then the gameplay, missions, and current player numbers would be the deciding factor whether to join or not. Sadly with both Lockon and Black Shark there is rarely a time when one server is full or has at least 16 people in it and players need to look for an alternative game.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

I personally think that stats might intimidate new users. Since it’s not about the score but joining a team & having fun with friends etc…

So my vote is : More interaction

Edited by TheMoose

Antec 900 gaming tower, PSU: Corsair 750W, Q6600, Asus P5K, 8Gig Mushkin, Nvidia eVGA 280 GTX Superclocked 1G DDR3, SSDNOW200 Kingston Drive, TrackIr 3000+Vector, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Saitek rudder pedals pro, Sharp 42" inch LCD Aquo. OS: windows 7 64bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't usual way of voice communication bother you? First of all I mean sound quality. It's too good and sounds nothing like military radio communication! Rather like a regular phone call. It spoils the gameplay for me. Additionally some blokes have their mics set up so I can hear someone in their house washing the dishes.

The solution would be to choose extremely low kbps and narrow band for the VOIP application. Can it be done now? I remember it was impossible two years ago when I played ArmA. We used to add noise to the communication but it still sounded like a regular phone call, just with the noise in the background. There is VocalFX™ in ASUS Xonar soundcars which adds enviromental effects to microphone sound but I it adds only fixed EAX effect chosen in the ASUS control panel and radio is not among them.

Another problem are... native English speakers. Yup. I don't know about LO/DCS TS channels but on some Il-2 channels it sounded like a high school reunion.

Edited by Bucic

F-4E Phantom module for sale -25% non-Steam