y2kiah's A-10C cockpit build

y2kiah

HI Stang the floor does not rise in the real AC, there is an area around the stick base that is raised, AN excellent source of pictures is the Modern hog guide pg 70 ,74.

Flattening out the deck may be the best solution for commercial horizontal swinging rudder pedals. The real Rudder pedal linkage is a vertical pivot in its swing and adjustment

III-2.jpg

I thought it did looking at this picture and at a guess by 2 or 3 inches. I think I will go for the lowered floor myself for an extra bit of comfort.

A10Ccockpitfloor.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

HTC Vive

Windows 10 Maximus VIII Hero i7-6700k CPU @ 4.2GHz 16GB Nvida GeForce GTX 1080. Ram Duel SSD's

HI Stang the floor does not rise in the real AC, there is an area around the stick base that is raised, AN excellent source of pictures is the Modern hog guide pg 70 ,74.

Flattening out the deck may be the best solution for commercial horizontal swinging rudder pedals. The real Rudder pedal linkage is a vertical pivot in its swing and adjustment

III-2.jpg

I thought it did, looking at this picture and at a guess by 2 or 3 inches. I think I will go for the lowered floor myself for an extra bit of comfort.

A10Ccockpitfloor.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

HTC Vive

Windows 10 Maximus VIII Hero i7-6700k CPU @ 4.2GHz 16GB Nvida GeForce GTX 1080. Ram Duel SSD's

The step up that you're referring to is built into the center console. The lowered floor in my design is totally under the seat and hidden from view, so it really doesn't matter visually and serves only to give you more room underneath for stuff.

Small update, I've posted the front extension and fixed up a couple previous modules for .703 ply. The open area in the front extension could be covered over or left open and used to house your PC case. There are more cross pieces and a platform for the top of the extension that will be included as an option with the front panel module.

Edited by y2kiah

• 4 weeks later...

Thats looking really good and sorely tempting me to make one for my own use. If I move the wifes grand piano I have just the space for it!

It's a great thing for you to put it under creative commons letting other people use it but protect yourself from people using it for making quick $$ for themselves.

I read some where that you used Stangs plans for the aces seat. I would like to put in an aces seat for a few reasons, one to put the stick in the right place and two, it looks the part when making up the whole rig.

Have you played around with it? I know Flim played around with some plans to acheive what he thinks was really good comfort. Thats what I am looking for - the comfortable aces seat and I think the only mod to Stangs plans may be a change to the angle.

I have wondered about the lower back support on these. They always look fairly intrusive and wonder how well they will work with a 6'2" guy, I keep wondering if it will push more in my back higher up.

Witch angle are you thinking of modifying it may not be necessary. Remember there are several differences between the F-16 seat Stang copied and the ACES II in the A-10

Could you be more specific about the question of the seat back? I am 6'3" 220 pounds and when the seat is reclined to the proper 15 deg and adjusted to the proper height it is comfortable with the black lamb skin covers

Thats what I am looking for - the comfortable aces seat and I think the only mod to Stangs plans may be a change to the angle.

I have wondered about the lower back support on these. They always look fairly intrusive and wonder how well they will work with a 6'2" guy, I keep wondering if it will push more in my back higher up.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

Deadman, in a vague way, any and all angles :)

I want the aces for the look to match the pit but I want it ergonomic so I dont mind if it does not match anything in particular. We are similar in size, I am 230 pounds.

there are two things I have notice in the past that impact the comfort for me. One is at what angle the bottom of the seat is at as that can distribute the weight across the bottom of the thighs as well as your bottom. I have found if some weight is taken under the legs I can last longer sitting.

The other is the back angle in relation to the bottom of the seat. I have seen the different diagrams detailing the f-16 and a-10 but not a lot of discussion about how comfortable they are for us guys at home who can change it a bit to suit.

For you the standard A10 configuration is OK?

When I sit in my seat now, which is a car seat, it has a flat back and my back is supported all the way up to my neck. On the aces seats there looks like a rather large protruding lumbar support. I am worried that something like that will fit some people but not all and that it might not be that comfortable.

I suppose a good piece of foam padding for a cover can help there though.

HI y2kiah I apologies for the off topic

Here are a few answers

Deadman, in a vague way, any and all angles :)

I am way to busy with traveling on the road, and being behind on several orders to measure all of the curves and angles on the seat at this time.

I want the aces for the look to match the pit but I want it ergonomic so I dont mind if it does not match anything in particular. We are similar in size, I am 230 pounds. The seat is all ready ergonomically designed for sitting in the upright possition

there are two things I have notice in the past that impact the comfort for me. One is at what angle the bottom of the seat is at as that can distribute the weight across the bottom of the thighs as well as your bottom. I have found if some weight is taken under the legs I can last longer sitting.

The seat pan in the A-10 is completely different from the F-16 and what Sting and other have published. With out some pictures i can not compare your description and the A-10 seat pan

The other is the back angle in relation to the bottom of the seat. I have seen the different diagrams detailing the f-16 and a-10 but not a lot of discussion about how comfortable they are for us guys at home who can change it a bit to suit.

Could you start a new thread or post links to the diagrams so I have a better Idea of what your looking at ? the angle could be compared with a straight back dinner chair.

For you the standard A10 configuration is OK? Ah Yes the ACES II seat will fit in to the scale cockpit I will be building

When I sit in my seat now, which is a car seat, it has a flat back and my back is supported all the way up to my neck. On the aces seats there looks like a rather large protruding lumbar support. I am worried that something like that will fit some people but not all and that it might not be that comfortable.

The real ACES II all so has a center section of the seat by center i mean running down the spin it is flat and 7 to 7.5 inches wide from the top of the pan to the top of your shoulder ruffly where it curves to the pilots shoulders

Here are a couple of pictures of my seat stripped down

I suppose a good piece of foam padding for a cover can help there though.

IMGA0104-1.jpg

IMGA0102-1.jpg

Edited by Deadman

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

• 2 months later...

y2kiah

Any updates / pictures on your A10C pit?

This is awesome work - looking forward to seeing the completed project.

Any chance you could post the .703 CAD files changes for the left side cut layout on page 30 of this thread. I think that is the only piece not yet converted over to your version 2 design.

Much thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Left side module re-release

Hi all,

It's been a long time since my last update but the project is not dead. I've updated the left side finally and now all previously released modules are fixed for common plywood thickness. You can get the updated .dxf file from the release post. The next release will be the front panel module.

There have been a lot of great new pits that have popped up here, I'm hoping to be able to spend more time on my pit in the upcoming months and start construction.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Just another new panel to show

Wanted: part number/source, or to buy spare 4-way hat switch for this panel

Unfortunately I don't have an old joystick with a coolie hat that matches the one on this panel

Emergency_Panel.png

In the yellow areas, there will be a white stripe dividing each yellow section. I'll probably try to engrave the different areas, then paint. If that doesn't work out, I'll engrave the whole strip and overlay a printout of the colors.

Hey man, dont know if you've already found your 4 way switch but if you haven't...take a look at this page. They are also making custom grips and throttles. This might come in handy for those who want to make a full size stick or even just take the throttle handles from the Warthog and mod it to fit into a more realistic looking/functioning throttle and laste panels instead of the the "simplified" one offered on the Warthog.

Edited by Layzie

• 2 weeks later...

Jeff, I am a little unsure about the front sides connecting to the left and right side.

Here are a couple of pictures of them together. Have I done something wrong or is this how they are supposed to be?

You can see that they are not quite lining up properly.

p1.thumb.jpg.1cadd304fc3a688b0971b7aeda508d8a.jpg

p2.thumb.jpg.30343201019f81232dce149ec223d360.jpg

it's correct, the side console will be about 3/4" off of the ground with a caster supporting the back, and the hinge connecting to the front. This is so the side will swing open like a door and not drag on the ground when you try to open it.

Hey Jeff, beautiful work. I have what I hope is a really easy question. I'd like to build according to your designs, but rather than a replica ACESII, just use an automotive racing seat that I have found fits me well. I'm not sure if it will fit the pit though. Could you provide the width between the consoles, and maybe a few other dimensions like typical butt height above the floor, etc?

Thanks,

Trax

If you disapprove of this post, please feel free to give me negative rep. If you approve of this post, please feel free to give me negative rep.

Trax, taking a break from assembling mine so I can answer to the sizes. The width between consoles is 53cm (20.86")

This should be plenty for an automotive seat which I currently use in my other pit.

I suspuect that you may need to raise the seat a little but not a heck of a lot. In my other pit the seat is on rails so it moves back and forwards but it is mounted ~ 40mm from the ground ~1.6".

Adding to my post in case this helps. On my pit the top of the seat is 20cm (~8") above the floor, thats when I have it raised a little bit. I also have the throttle base mounted 20cm above the ground as well. For me this is the perfect place, heightwise, for it to be.

I just measured Jeffs pit and the throttle will be mounted 24cm above the floor. If I had a car seat I would need to raise it to get it in to the correct position. I would guess that the aces seat has a higher profile then a car seat. So I think you have plenty of room to get the height of a car seat right - unless you prefer the throttle unusually high.

Edited by metalnwood

Trax, taking a break from assembling mine so I can answer to the sizes. The width between consoles is 53cm (20.86")

This should be plenty for an automotive seat which I currently use in my other pit.

I suspuect that you may need to raise the seat a little but not a heck of a lot. In my other pit the seat is on rails so it moves back and forwards but it is mounted ~ 40mm from the ground ~1.6".

Adding to my post in case this helps. On my pit the top of the seat is 20cm (~8") above the floor, thats when I have it raised a little bit. I also have the throttle base mounted 20cm above the ground as well. For me this is the perfect place, heightwise, for it to be.

I just measured Jeffs pit and the throttle will be mounted 24cm above the floor. If I had a car seat I would need to raise it to get it in to the correct position. I would guess that the aces seat has a higher profile then a car seat. So I think you have plenty of room to get the height of a car seat right - unless you prefer the throttle unusually high.

Hmm, I think that may need some adjustment to fit the seat I have in mind. It's 57.2 wide at the base, according to the catalog.

Thanks,

Trax

Edited by TraxusIV

If you disapprove of this post, please feel free to give me negative rep. If you approve of this post, please feel free to give me negative rep.

JCook just make sure you explain the pieces that make up the throttle mount to the CNC shop. The lines on a dxf don't explain the depth of cut by themselves, so they will get it wrong if left up to them. Take a look at some of my screen shots and it will be clear how the pockets are cut, .5" deep, on those pieces.

Does anyone have any photos of the throttle mount pieces that they could post? I'm having a hard time figuring out how the cuts are supposed to be, just based on the dxf and Images in post 295. My spatial reasoning seems to have failed me.

Thanks much,

Trax

the design is intended to have a dado as you thought, but I may have forgotten to put it into the released plans. I'll take a look and fix the plans if so. Cutting the bottom in two pieces was a good solution, I should have designed it that way from the beginning.

• 2 weeks later...

OK! That's it!! I've been lurking here for a month or so and have been amazed and inspired. I've decided to *not* make wine this year in order to build an A-10C cockpit. I recently purchased DCS A-10C and have been amazed at the realism of the systems within the cockpit, and enjoy the gameplay as well (although I'm still trying to get a hang of it). I've wanted to build a cockpit sim for years. Now is the time. Got the OK from the Mrs., rearranged the study, and am packing up my wine making stuff in the garage for the build.

I am planning to use the .dxf's posted here by the mighty y2kiah :). I've got a request for quote out to a local CNC service, but I seem to recall someone in this or another forum saying that if you lived in the Northwest to give him a call. Was that here? Is there someone who lives in the greater Seattle area who has a CNC that can cut 4' X 8' and is willing to do so? I just bought 2 28" monitors from someone in Seattle (one needs repair, but I'm good at that sort of thing). One of them I plan to use behind an aluminum cutout for my front panel (using Front Panel Express, unless someone can recommend a better/cheaper method). I have the TM MFD's and have played around with the display .lua files to arrange them on my new screen, and will continue with that once I have my front panel. Will I be able to arrange the rest of the instruments using LUA or will I need Helios?

Today my PoKeys55T arrives. :D