F-16's engine hit by volcanic ash!

tflash

Any internal combustion engine that gets soil, rock or volcanic ash in the combustion chamber would receive damaged. The same would happen if you put soil or ash in a V8 Hemi combustion chamber or a F100-PW-220 etc.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Any internal combustion engine that gets soil, rock or volcanic ash in the combustion chamber would receive damaged. The same would happen if you put soil or ash in a V8 Hemi combustion chamber or a F100-PW-220 etc.

And yet they flew Curtiss' and Hurricanes during the desert campaign :D

Any further info on the glassy substance?

And yet they flew Curtiss' and Hurricanes during the desert campaign :D

Sorry I don't understand. F-16 has flown in many desert campaigns, :huh:

I imagine "glassy substance" is ash compress and heated in the engine

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

In all probability the Silica in the Volcanic Ash - melts and when cools essentially forms 'glass' - Credit to the Mrs for that (Geologist).

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Yeah, but i was interesting on how and where it got stuck, besides "in the engine and the fans"

@ mvsgas, as you know, a piston engine requires much less air to it compared to a jet engine, therefor at was easier to install particle filters on them during the northern afrika battles.

Edited by zakobi

Yeah, but i was interesting on how and where it got stuck, besides "in the engine and the fans"

@ mvsgas, as you know, a piston engine requires much less air to it compared to a jet engine, therefor at was easier to install particle filters on them during the northern afrika battles.

So, by North Africa battles, do you refer to WW2 where there were no jet available (in north Africa at the time) AFAIK.

or Egypt conflicts with Israel

or when USN F-14 shut down Mig-23

And aircraft jet engine do not need air filters/particle filters, at least no jet engine I ever work.

Helicopters one use filters.

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

To whom it may concern,