Hard to find , easy to kill!

Hi,

Im playing A-10 campaign at FC2.0 Everything is very nicely done and Im especialy enjoying A-10s GAU-8 30mm gun.

But one thing makes me crazy and no one is responsible for this. Its the camouflage of the vehicles and its size above 1500ft. And dont have any picture here right now, but its sometimes impossible to find tanks, shilkas and other targets especialy at winter season. Only thing I can do ( no F7 button searching) is fly accros the target arrea and let them shoot one me, than remember theyr possions. But with short range SAMs and Shilkas at the arrea this tactic is very dangerous. Yes and there is also no warning, if some IR guided missile is closing to your aircarft. Which is normal. Anyone have better idea to find my targets? =)

One thing I'm using is I have labels off but but I enabled the map(f10) icons. So I take a look at the map before entering the target area but I dont look for the exact locations. I think thats ok option because you should have some intel on enemy positions before going on a mission IRL.

But yes it's very hard to spot ground targets with mk1 eyeballs.

aka [82nd]Ike

Silly question but..... are you using the zoom view in cockpit?

Edit:- If you want a really hard time try the Cold war campaign in the Su-25. I find I have to use the Sat F10 view to locate the position of targets sometimes. I justify this because the way the missions are designed the targets only become visible for 2 or 3 seconds before a volley of manpads are fired at you.

Even then I find it almost impossible to hit the targets due to my crap rocket deployment skills. It really is fun in a masochistic kind of way.

Nate

Edited by Nate--IRL--

Silly question but..... are you using the zoom view in cockpit?

Edit:- If you want a really hard time try the Cold war campaign in the Su-25. I find I have to use the Sat F10 view to locate the position of targets sometimes. I justify this because the way the missions are designed the targets only become visible for 2 or 3 seconds before a volley of manpads are fired at you.

Even then I find it almost impossible to hit the targets due to my crap rocket deployment skills. It really is fun in a masochistic kind of way.

Nate

Also for the CWW campaign I advise to read the briefing carefuly, study the maps and perhaps even make some notes. Except the on-call missions, you should even have a waypoint on target.

And if you have volleys of MANPADS fired against you, you are making the mistake of multiple attack runs. Go in fast, strike the target and get the hell out of there and you should be fine. Re-attacks get you killed :)

I do not agree with this "hardcore realism" concerning the spotting of ground or even air targets. We are using computer monitors to spot a tank. Only the highest resolution and pixel density displays out there (that costs thousands of dollars) are able to match real life visual acuity. And then there is the FOV issue, and the parallax issue. I hate labels because they make life too easy. But even when you are looking directly at the suspected target location, full zoom in, they are still hard to spot.

Using the -65D on A-10s and the LLTV on T-Frogs (its a low-light device, but acts as a FLIR in-game, even in daylight) alleviate the problem.

Also for the CWW campaign I advise to read the briefing carefuly, study the maps and perhaps even make some notes. Except the on-call missions, you should even have a waypoint on target.

And if you have volleys of MANPADS fired against you, you are making the mistake of multiple attack runs. Go in fast, strike the target and get the hell out of there and you should be fine. Re-attacks get you killed :)

Good to know, I take it the Manpads have a reaction time then?

Nate

You could manually edit the label files so that you see the little "dot" on the target at close range, rather than the full name and distance. That way you'll know -something- is there, but will have to manually identify said thing to make sure you arent wasting a maverick on a truck.

Make sure you didn't edit the LOD setting for military objects. Some FPS tweak settings reduce these values and I really had hard time identifying targets before I realized this. In some way, you can go opposite way on some LOD settings to enhance their visibility.

Also setting the Res of cockpit displays higher will help you identify targets on your Mav IR display better. I was using 256 to save frame rate and all ground units looked the same even at 2nm. After switching to 1024, I can correctly identify targets on display from 5nm away. And don't even notice the difference in frame rate between 256 and 1024.