New sound engine question or two.

You know what I am just so use to posting in here I forgot I was talking about FC2. The BS sounds are perfict for me.

Home built PC Win 10 Pro 64bit, MB ASUS Z170 WS, 6700K, EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid, 32GB DDR4 3200, Thermaltake 120x360 RAD, Custom built A-10C sim pit, TM WARTHOG HOTAS, Cougar MFD's, 3D printed UFC and Saitek rudders. HTC VIVE VR.

https://digitalcombatmercenaries.enjin.com/

Dear guys,

we definetely can't please all the people al the time ;)

That's what Sounds/sdef/.sdef is for.

It's much easier to tweak corresponding sdef-files instead of the samples.

Can I tweak this file to make the Vikhr launch a little louder and the flare release audible in the cockpit?

I think the only way is to completely remove 3 wav files in DCS Blackshark\Sounds\Effects folder:

EngineTV3117.wav

Enginetv3117inL.wav

Enginetv3117inR.wav

I went ahead and removed them. Takes away all the white noise and you're left with the thump thump thump of the rotors. Kinda soothing actually. It all boils down to personal preference.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I went ahead and removed them. Takes away all the white noise and you're left with the thump thump thump of the rotors

Cuz you need to use modded RotorKA50Dyn.wav file. Sounds cool to me. I've uploaded it for you :P

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/22528889/RotorKA50Dyn.wav

Edited by funkee

[sIGPIC]http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/6720/avatarpolishairforce.png[/sIGPIC]

system specs:

mobo: Gigabyte GA-P35DS4 rev 2.1, CPU: Intel C2D E8400@4GHz, GPU: Nvidia 8800GTS 512, RAM: Kingston HyperX 4x 1GB 1066MHz Dual Channel, HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F1 640 GB x2, sound: Realtek Azalia ALC889A + SB Audigy + Dolby Digital/DTS external encoder/tuner, display: Asus VW222U 22', case: Raidmax Smilodon, headphones: Sennheiser HD650, stick: Saitek Cyborg Evo, Track IR4 Pro + TrackClip Pro, O/S: Windows 7/Vista x64

I may have missed the peculiarities of the bug conversation but I removed the mentioned files and was not happy with the results. So far I just wanted to change the balance between the blade sounds and the Vikhr/flare launches. It's still a bit out of whack but my autoexec.cfg reads: sound.cockpit_world_volume = -12 sound.cockpit_world_lowpass = 4000 And I'm happy enough with it.

Ok I've finally figured it out. I now know why it sounds wrong in cockpit.

After excluding the outside world sounds from the cockpit (see post above) The rotor blade sound that gets played in cockpit for stressed rotors, unfiltered, is RotorKa50.wav. This should instead be RotorKa50Dyn.wav. This I believe to be a bug.

Also RotorKa50.wav should be played regardless of the stressed state of the rotors. At the moment if I unload the rotors, no rotor sound can be heard at all.

Ideally these two sounds would be Low-pass filtered In-cockpit also.

I realise that it will take more than altering Config files to fix this, so I'm not looking for a solution, just letting you know about it c0ff.

Nate

I have interchanged those two files. Is this this way how it should be done?

I have interchanged those two files. Is this this way how it should be done?

To be honest I did the same, along with editing the autoexec.cfg to increase external sounds, but I'm not totally happy with it. The reason is that now Rotors when stressed/loaded, in cockpit, sounds correct, but in external views and sound from your wingman is wrong (ie Stressed/loaded Rotors play unstressed/unloaded sound)

What is really needed are sdef files (RotorKa50In.sdef & RotorKa50DynIn.sdef) for the engine sounds in cockpit, in order to correct and control better what is heard in cockpit.

Nate

It's a pity. I was very impressed by how authentic the sound of the rotor was before the patch.

Anyway, aside of this, my biggest concern is that the bass shaker is barely noticeable, even at max volume. The level is too low. But I haven't had time to play with the autoexec.cfg.

I did some more flying yesterday, and I noticed that the rotor stroke sound increases a lot with speed. The bass shaker was doing its work. Overall, the in-cockpit sound enviroment is a lot more natural than before. I'm liking it very much.

Although the two files mentioned above are still interchanged in my installation, have not time for tests! I'm wondering how would it sound without that alteration, I did it right after patching because I read this thread before having time to patch.

I did some more flying yesterday, and I noticed that the rotor stroke sound increases a lot with speed. The bass shaker was doing its work. Overall, the in-cockpit sound enviroment is a lot more natural than before. I'm liking it very much.

Although the two files mentioned above are still interchanged in my installation, have not time for tests! I'm wondering how would it sound without that alteration, I did it right after patching because I read this thread before having time to patch.

Simply play the two wav files in windows media player. The Default RotorKa50Dyn.wav will have more bass than RotorKa50.wav

Remember that:-

RotorKa50Dyn.wav is played in external views for loaded rotors and RotorKa50.wav is played for unloaded rotors (This is correct and Normal)

RotorKa50.wav is mistakenly played in cockpit for loaded rotors and there is no sound for Unloaded rotors.

By fixing the Cockpit sound, the external view sounds are now incorrect. This to me is a fair compromise.

Nate

I think the best compromise would be to remake some sounds since they dont fit with the new sound engine and there are too many problems for too many users.

Additionaly we should get abbility to adjust the volume of more cockpit sounds, especially aircraft engines.

Edited by funkee

[sIGPIC]http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/6720/avatarpolishairforce.png[/sIGPIC]

system specs:

mobo: Gigabyte GA-P35DS4 rev 2.1, CPU: Intel C2D E8400@4GHz, GPU: Nvidia 8800GTS 512, RAM: Kingston HyperX 4x 1GB 1066MHz Dual Channel, HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F1 640 GB x2, sound: Realtek Azalia ALC889A + SB Audigy + Dolby Digital/DTS external encoder/tuner, display: Asus VW222U 22', case: Raidmax Smilodon, headphones: Sennheiser HD650, stick: Saitek Cyborg Evo, Track IR4 Pro + TrackClip Pro, O/S: Windows 7/Vista x64

Funkee you can adjust the engine sounds in cockpit by editing the *.sdef files.

sdef names for cockpit sounds have "In" suffix.

The ones you need: "APUIn", "APUBeginIn", "EngineTV3117InL", "EngineTV3117InR", "Gun2A42In", "Gun2A42LowIn"

By adding the line "gain = 1.0" you can control the volume of those particular sounds (1.0 is normal volume, higher or lower numbers = increased or decreased volume)

For example I have added "gain = 0.3" to "APUIn.sdef", "APUBeginIn.sdef" in order to quieten the APU sound in cockpit.

Nate

• 4 weeks later...

I've been in the back of choppers dispensing flares plenty of times. Scares the sh*t out of you if you're not ready for it! Loud and bright. Seen a few guys just about jump out their seat! :lol:

But with a pilots helmet on... couldn't say.

Valve Index | RTX 3070 Ti (Mobile) | i7-12700H @ 2.7GHz | 16GB RAM

Anyone notice, or maybe it's just me, but when starting up the number two engine after #1 is running idle, it sounds like the sound just starts over again, the same quiet as #1 spools up as opposed for the running #1 engine and hearing another layer of noise spooling up.... kind of hard to explain but hopefully someone will catch on what I'm saying.

• Like 1

Anyone notice, or maybe it's just me, but when starting up the number two engine after #1 is running idle, it sounds like the sound just starts over again, the same quiet as #1 spools up as opposed for the running #1 engine and hearing another layer of noise spooling up.... kind of hard to explain but hopefully someone will catch on what I'm saying.

Yep, I've noticed that too. It's almost like a single wav file being used for engine spoolup that stops abruptly and replayed from the start, when starting to spool the 2nd engine.

However looking at the sdef and effect files, this doesn't seem to be how it is implemented. If I were to guess, it seems that EngineTV3117.wav is being used as the spoolup sound, but not as the main engine sound in cockpit.

Engine sounds in cockpit are provided by enginetv3117inl.sdef & enginetv3117inr.sdef, and the external (filtered) enginetv3117.sdef. There is no separate specific spoolup sound, though it does sound like a separate sound is used.

There is a broken sdef enginetv3117in.sdef that refers to a wav file that doesn't exist (not sure if this is by design)

I'll dig around later to pinpoint the issue.

Nate

Yeh, I hate this. I was going to mention it a day or to ago in 'problems and bugs' forum, but was certain I'd already seen it mentioned somewhere. No doubt ED are on to it. It's quite obvious. The only guys that won't notice are the ones who start hot.

Still, this bug is better than the previous bug. :)

Valve Index | RTX 3070 Ti (Mobile) | i7-12700H @ 2.7GHz | 16GB RAM

OK this is a weird bug but I think I've isolated it. I have temporarily deleted enginetv3117.wav in order to only hear enginetv3117inl.wav & enginetv3117inr.wav in cockpit.

Starting up (Left engine First - APU on Rotor brake off).............

Start Left engine - enginetv3117inl.wav is played, tempo and volume increased, to match left engine power.

Start Right engine - enginetv3117inr.wav is played, tempo and volume increased, to match right engine power.

enginetv3117inl.wav is reset and then played, tempo and volume increased, to match right engine power.

Starting up (Right engine First - APU on Rotor brake off).............

Start Right engine - enginetv3117inr.wav AND enginetv3117inl.wav are played, tempo up and volume increased, to match right engine power.

Starting Left engine - No new sounds played.

Edit:- When I tested this, the enginetv3117inl.wav used was a renamed BulletHit.wav to easily differentiate it from enginetv3117inr.wav

So, it seems the right engine determines the in-cockpit engine sounds for both engines. It's a bug alright.

Nate

Edited by Nate--IRL--
  • Like 2