Thrustmaster TARGET

Hi guys,

My problem is that I have to run the script manually (start TARGET, select configuration, click to "run configuration") before I start the game.

I assigned the simulator.exe to the configuration but this function seems to be only for the "Fly now" function of TARGET to launch the game.

Isn't it possible to simply start the game without running TARGET and the script manually?

Is TARGET not able to detect the running simulator.exe to start the script in the background like the Logitech Profiler?

pfff... laughable...

Why I should install this piece of **** program?

You'r able to configure EVERYTHING in DCS.

- Assigne every button/switch to every function.

- Set every button/switch as modifier.

- Edit every analog axis.

What is missing? What is TARGET able to do what DCS can't do?

The WH works fine without TARGET for now, minus the over sensitive microstick that I'm experiencing (sounds painful ;)) Would be good to see if there is some way of adjusting the curve for it though.

It's weird that some people have it working on Win7 64 and others don't (me!). I have UAC turned off and I installed the .net framework that it suggested upon installation...

Any other ideas?

Edited by CrashEd

In DCS you can only assign one function to a switch or hat iirc. In TARGET you could, for example, have multiple shifted functions on one switch etc...

In DCS you are able to set every switch/button as modifier.

Go to the control options in DCS and click to MODIFIER in the left down corner. There you can select the device and choose every switch you want to add to the modifiers-list.

This modifier-switch is able to get a normal function too.

What else can TARGET do?

However, the WH works fine without it for now, minus the over sensitive microstick that I'm experiencing (sounds painful ;)) Would be good to see if there is some way of adjusting the curve for it.

In DCS you are able to edit every analog axis.

Go to the control options in DCS and choose "Axis control" in the drop down.

Now you can see the analog axis.

Click to the axis you want to modify and click to "AXIS TUNE" in the right down corner.

A new window appears. There you can edit the axis.

It's weird that some people have it working on Win7 64 and others don't (me!). I have UAC turned off and I installed the .net framework that it suggested upon installation...

Any other ideas?

Did you run the setup.exe for the installation as administrator?

Well I installed it and it runs on my XP rig and yes it will unite all your thrustmaster gear .

I tried to make a basic Hotas profile for Falcon as an experiment what I found out is unlike Foxy it easier to program and understand and instead of making a profile in foxy and loading it in to the cougar each time you want to play a game you make profile and save it ,then you start game from the software and it loads the profile and starts game.

The differance is that it tweaks the windows DX buttons and axis and applies your keyboard commands to them while its running ,when you close it they revert to default rather than programming the stick as such.

I did manage to programm the dgft/cancel/msl three way switch and the air brakes open/close/toggle .

The one problem I have is the game wont recognize some of the axis

I can get the microstick y axis to work but not the x axis but that might be my fault and just to confirm my foxy profile is still working fine if I select emulation on so no worries there.

winXP sp3 i5 3.640ghz duo core 4gig Ram Nvidia Geforce GTS 250 1 gig TIR4 Thrustmaster Cougar

winXP sp3 i5 3.640ghz duo core 4gig Ram Nvidia Geforce GTS 250 1 gig TIR4 Thrustmaster Cougar

In DCS you are able to set every switch/button as modifier.

Go to the control options in DCS and click to MODIFIER in the left down corner. There you can select the device and choose every switch you want to add to the modifiers-list.

This modifier-switch is able to get a normal function too.

What else can TARGET do?

In DCS you are able to edit every analog axis.

Go to the control options in DCS and choose "Axis control" in the drop down.

Now you can see the analog axis.

Click to the axis you want to modify and click to "AXIS TUNE" in the right down corner.

A new window appears. There you can edit the axis.

Did you run the setup.exe for the installation as administrator?

Thanks Dragon, I hada play around with the modifiers earlier - I did't know you could do that. Great to know! :thumbup:

I also have the microstick setup as well, it needed a small tweak. How are you finding it compared to the Cougar?

I'm going to have a go at reinstalling TARGET, so I'll try and run the exe as administrator.

EDIT> Still no joy reinstalling as admin.

Edited by CrashEd

I also have the microstick setup as well, it needed a small tweak. How are you finding it compared to the Cougar?

Sorry, I never touched the Cougar...

EDIT> Still no joy reinstalling as admin.

Hmmm.... :huh:

Ok, the problem, for me at least, seems to be keyboard/location related. This workaround got Target running for me:

Go to regional settings and set the language to English-US. (For Win7, in control panel->region and language, set the location to United States and the keyboard default input language to English-US, in the Keyboard and languages tab->Change Keyboard... ). Then make sure that when you start the program, in the language bar EN is selected.

I can now get in to Target and have a play around. Obviously this is only a workaround and not ideal as I now have a weird (;)) US keyboard layout! Still, if you want to have a play around in Target, then this MAY work for you.

TM are on the case, so hopefully it will get fixed soon :thumbup:

Thanks Ed

I was about to go to Win 7 32 from Win 7 64.

I'll try this when I get home.

Warthog should arrive tomorrow so very excited ;)

J.

Rig: Home Built, water cooled,i5 2500K @ 4.3Ghz, ASUS P8P67Pro Mobo, 8GB Patriot Viper 2 Sector 5 RAM, MSI Nvidia GTX970 4GB Gaming OC, 120GB OCZ Vertex 2e SSD Boot, 120GB OCZ Vertex 2e SSD Games (BS & WH), Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB other,

Samsung UE37D5000 37" LED TV,EloTouch 1600x1200 secondary, Thrustmaster Warthog No.467, Thrustmaster MFD, Saitek Pro Pedals, Track IR4 with Track Clip Pro.

Ex RAF Aircrew, Real Life Pilot, proud Geek and father of one :)

That's what I gather from this thread. Took me a while back to 2000 to learn to use Foxy to its full potential, WTF would I be a guinney pig for TARGET? It FUBARed my HOTAS software and I had to do a sys restore.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

There are a few reasons to install T.A.R.G.E.T., whether you have a Warthog or a Cougar.

Clearly DCS: A-10C is set up to use the Warthog to much potential without any programming software. But that's just DCS: A-10C. For any other sim, including FC2 and DCS: Black Shark, you'll probably want to program your HOTAS.

I understand that many people like ot forgo HOTAS software and just program the stick with DX button pushes inside each individual sim. Nothing will stop you from doing that with the Warthog. However, consider this: the Warthog throttle panel has a number of 2- and 3-way toggle switches, which means one part of these switches is always "ON". There is also a DirectX limit of 32 buttons + POV hat for a controller. The Warthog throttle alone has over 50 button and switch positions. Thrustmaster thought carefully about this during HOTAS design, and the end result is that a number of these switch positions do not send a DirectX button press. However, every single position of every single switch and button is programmable through T.A.R.G.E.T. That means that T.A.R.G.E.T. offers more programming flexibility in any given sim. And of course that's only when the HOTAS is programmed with a single layer of commands. If you wish to have the typical 6 layers (shift + up/middle/down) you need to use T.A.R.GE.T. as well.

(EDIT: I see that DCS: A-10C can also be set up to program a HOTAS with modifiers in-game, so that last comment does not apply to DCS: A-10C.)

There are also nice features such as when the throttles are pulled over the idle detent, they send a "button press" to T.A.R.G.E.T. This "button" is programmable in T.A.R.G.E.T. (it could be programmed to activate speed brakes or wheel brakes, for example, without any complicated programming). This type of thing is completely transparent to a sim and could never be programmed without T.A.R.G.E.T.

If you only own a Cougar and never plan on getting a Warthog, there isn't a lot of reason to switch from Foxy to T.A.R.G.E.T. There are some nice things the new software can do that Foxy can't, since T.A.R.G.E.T. has the ability to do math. However, most people don't need or want this sort of stuff.

I would urge people to try this software out; it can be downloaded for free from the Thrustmaster website. It's unfortunate that people are having installation problems with it, but it really is nice software when it's running properly. Check out this possible troubleshooting step as well:

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3124095/TARGET_GUI_fails_to_launch.html#Post3124095

Edited by Joe
clarified DCS: A-10C HOTAS modifier capability

SimHQ Technology Editor

TSH member

I would urge people to try this software out

I would urge people to go with this addage: if it aint broke dont fix it. Unless yo have a Wartgog HOTAS, skip TARGET for now.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

Wartgog ? Wartog + google ?

I m with you Mower, if its broke fix it. Fix TARGET.

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

The source of install problem as now be identified, it's created by the windwos keyboard local settings... to avoid it or to give a try

Go to regional settings and set the language to English-US. (For Win7, in control panel->region and language, set the location to United States and the keyboard default input language to English-US, in the Keyboard and languages tab->Change Keyboard... ). Then make sure that when you start the program, in the language bar EN is selected.

Mower, TARGET does nothing to the Cougar stuff, doesn't replace or touch any cougar drivers or whatever, it just works throught Direct X. It doesn't use any tool tools from the Cougar. And TARGET and Foxy can live together on the same system without issue.

If you are already a good foxy user and not a big fan of complex configuration, you don't own the MFDs, target as a limited interest for you and don't change of programming language and software will keep your life simple. You have the choice, that's the most important.

I have the HOTAS Cougar/Foxy software installed right along side of TARGET, whilst I wait for the WH. The new software is really cool and well worth exploring. I have also installed and removed the TARGET software a couple of times under Win7 x64 (US Eng)as well.

I will switch to it for programming the Cougar. From what I have seen so far it really simplifies the more advanced programming and the point and click interface for setting up repeats, toggles, Press/Releases etc. are much easier and more user friendly than Foxy, Korgy and the Composer. This is the new software for the Cougar and it has many improvements over the older software, it seems a nice leap forward. I see no good reason not to embrace it. I will of course leave foxy installed if needed to DL my older TMM/TMJ files to the stick but asap I will transfer all my files and programming to TARGET.

I would like to express my gratitude to James Hallows for all the hard work he gave to produce Foxy and the preceeding programming software written for the Stickworks F-22 Pro/TQS combo. This software has been excellent and a great help in reference and instruction for programming my TM controllers over the years.

Well done James and thank you!

Also thanks to TM for producing the Warthog and the new TARGET software.

Now ship mine already! :joystick:

Out

Edited by PoleCat

Just my 2 cents, I haven't installed TARGET yet - but previous experience from Saitek SST software makes me believe it introduces more problem than it solves. So I've stuck with using DCS/FC2 programmming methods & modifiers instead.

But - I still wish to hear what benefits one can have using TARGET - there may be benefits I'm not aware of (except easier programming from a central console).

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

I would like to express my gratitude to James Hallows for all the hard work he gave to produce Foxy and the preceding programming software written for the Stickworks F-22 Pro/TQS combo. This software has been excellent and a great help in reference and instruction for programming my TM controllers over the years.

Hear, hear.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Panzertard, the benefits are huge if you really want to fine tune you controller setup.

You can use internal memory, do math, changes axis curves in flight, create you own chaff and flare programs under FC2, make it loop or play it just one time. You can use logic to have realistic control of the Autopilot under FC2 (make it equal to the one of DCS A-10C)...

For those who wants to use the joystickcentred and turned 15° counter clockwise but keeping the axes straight in line with the plane, it's also possible...

just some examples of applications.