Multi-monitor set-up guide & help (unofficial)

MadTommy

Hi All,

I have had a look through this whole thread and tried a few things but still seem to getting issues setting up my multi monitors is DCS Warthog.

Basically my monitor config is like the attached file, triple monitors using eyefinity through the middle and a monitor above and below the centre montior. Giving me five monitors in a cross config.

What I am trying to do is have one large screen config the spans the whole monitor configuration. To do that I am using the latest SoftTH 2.04 64bit version.

I have achieved the previously with DCS Blackshark as you can see in my Youtube clip here.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/hgYxIm8mZso

I am using the 64bit version of Warthog and SoftTH.

However everytime I try to actually get into a mission, I get a dialogue box come up that says this.

DCS: A-10C has stopped working

Windows can check online for a solution to the problem.

Then with the option to check online or to close the program, then with the problem details which dont mean a lot to me in a drop down option below.

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit, An ATI Eyefinity 6 Graphics card with the latest ATi Drivers, all monitors are connected through either display port or active display port adaptors.

I have tried full and not full screen mode, both with the same result.

Does anyone have any ideas what I maybe doing wrong?

Has anyone else had any success with the 64bit SoftTH??

This is my config.SoftTHconfig

[main]

renderResolution=6004x3240

nonlocalFormat=RGB16D

keepComposition=0

smoothing=1

debugD3D=0

zClear=1

vsync=0

tripleBuffer=0

screenshotFormat=jpg

dllPathD3D9=auto

dllPathDXGI=auto

dllPathD3D11=auto

[overrides]

forceResolution=0

antialiasing=0

processAffinity=0

FOVForceHorizontal=0

FOVForceVertical=0

[head_primary]

sourceRect=0,1080,6004,1080

screenMode=6004x1080

[head_1]

; Autodetected as \\.\DISPLAY2 at ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series

devID=1

sourceRect=2032,2160,1920,1080

transportResolution=1920x1080

transportMethod=auto

noSync=0

[head_2]

; Autodetected as \\.\DISPLAY3 at ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series

devID=2

sourceRect=2032,0,1920,1080

transportResolution=1920x1080

transportMethod=auto

noSync=0

This is my option.lua (graphics portion)

["graphics"] =

{

["VSync"] = false,

["multiMonitorSetup"] = "1bigcamera",

["color"] = "32",

["heatBlr"] = 1,

["scenes"] = "low",

["water"] = 2,

["fullScreen"] = true,

["visibRange"] = "High",

["aspect"] = 1.853,

["haze"] = 1,

["shadows"] = 2,

["TranspSSAA"] = false,

["width"] = 6004,

["effects"] = 3,

["resolution"] = "6004x3240",

["MSAA"] = 0,

["height"] = 3240,

["HDR"] = true,

["civTraffic"] = "",

["lights"] = 2,

["clutterMaxDistance"] = 0,

["textures"] = 2,

}, -- end of ["graphics"]

["views"] =

{

["cockpit"] =

{

["mirrors"] = true,

["reflections"] = false,

["russianHud"] = false,

["avionics"] = 3,

}, -- end of ["cockpit"]

}, -- end of ["views"]

This is my file called 1BigCamera.lua

_ = function(p) return p; end;

name = _('1 Big Screen');

Description = 'One Huge monitor'

Viewports =

{

Center =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = 6004;

height = 3240;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 1.853;

}

}

WindowsScreenSetup.jpg.00bfe0b6401a95dadb7c2cd6c38110fc.jpg

As a newbie to A-10C and armed with a TH2G which has two 24" monitors and a 19" monitor attached what I want is the main view on the two 24"'s and one of the MFD's on the 19". How do I do that?

If you post your resolutions and screen orientations i will attempt to sort this for you. I'll also need to know whether your 19" monitor is aligned with the top or bottom of you 22"ones.

Edited by MadTommy

i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus P8Z77-V, 8 GB DDR3, 1.5GB GTX 480 (EVGA, superclocked), SSD, 2 x 1680x1050, x-fi extreme music.

TM Warthog, Saitek combat pro pedals, TrackIR 4

Thanks for the reply.

My two Samsungs run at 1920 x 1200 and are plugged into my TH2G which in turn is plugged into one of my DVI connectors on my GPU. My Acer 1024 x 768 monitor is plugged into the second port of GPU.

Hope that helps!

DK

darrenkarp below is the lua file contents, i have attached it as a zip. Unzip it and extract it to you \Eagle Dynamics\DCS A-10C\Config\MonitorSetup folder.

In Options choose this custom setup under monitors and type in your resolution as 4864x1200

options.jpg

name = _('custom setup');
Description = 'Three custom monitor configuration';
Viewports =
{
Center =
{
x = 1024;
y = 0;
width = 3840;
height = 1200;
viewDx = 0;
viewDy = 0;
aspect = 3.2;
}
}

LEFT_MFCD =
{
x = 254;
y = 0;
width = 768;
height = 768;
}

UIMainView = Viewports.Center

I have assumed that your monitors are aligned along their top edge and that you want to display the left MFCD..and display it in proportion, i,e square. There will be a panel of 254x768 dead space on the left side of you 19" monitor.

Let me know if this does not work

Custom3Monitor.zip

Edited by MadTommy

i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus P8Z77-V, 8 GB DDR3, 1.5GB GTX 480 (EVGA, superclocked), SSD, 2 x 1680x1050, x-fi extreme music.

darrenkarp below is the lua file contents, i have attached it as a zip. Unzip it and extract it to you \Eagle Dynamics\DCS A-10C\Config\MonitorSetup folder.

In Options choose this custom setup under monitors and type in your resolution as 4864x1200

options.jpg

name = _('custom setup');
Description = 'Three custom monitor configuration';
Viewports =
{
Center =
{
x = 1024;
y = 0;
width = 3840;
height = 1200;
viewDx = 0;
viewDy = 0;
aspect = 3.2;
}
}

LEFT_MFCD =
{
x = 254;
y = 0;
width = 768;
height = 768;
}

I have assumed that your monitors are aligned along their top edge and that you want to display the left MFCD..and display it in proportion, i,e square. There will be a panel of 254x768 dead space on the left side of you 19" monitor.

Let me know if this does not work

Thanks very much. I'll give this a go when I get home this evening. My two 24" monitors are aligned at the top but as the 3rd monitor is a 4:3 19" LCD it sits by itself to the left of my two main monitors. Also this 19" monitor is connected to the 2nd DVI port on my graphics card where the other two main monitors are connected to my TH2G. Does this make any difference?

Many thanks

DK

^^ i'm not referring to how they are physically aligned.. i'm referring to their virtually alignment in windows if you get me. Your 19" could either be aligned to the bottom or top of your 24" monitors. (or even the middle, that that would be nuts :))

I've not used a TH2G system, but i believe what i done for you should work. My understanding is windows will treat you two 24" monitors as one big ass one and the 19" as a 2nd monitor. But that should be neither here nor there anyway.

Edited by MadTommy

No joy I'm afraid. I get the following error when trying to go to training:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: dcs.exe

Application Version: 1.1.0.6

Application Timestamp: 4d70d825

Fault Module Name: DXRenderer.dll

Fault Module Version: 1.1.0.6

Fault Module Timestamp: 4d6f2c4e

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 000000000001cae0

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

Locale ID: 2057

Additional Information 1: 7464

Additional Information 2: 746448953211c0f41e86c0cd1dbd0749

Additional Information 3: 35e1

Additional Information 4: 35e13a04fece16f4cd27f7d02ce498d0

Try a Instant Action Mission..

I've never seen a APPCRASH caused by a multimonitor setup, no matter how wrong it is.

Hi All,

I have had a look through this whole thread and tried a few things but still seem to getting issues setting up my multi monitors is DCS Warthog.

Basically my monitor config is like the attached file, triple monitors using eyefinity through the middle and a monitor above and below the centre montior. Giving me five monitors in a cross config.

What I am trying to do is have one large screen config the spans the whole monitor configuration. To do that I am using the latest SoftTH 2.04 64bit version.

I have achieved the previously with DCS Blackshark as you can see in my Youtube clip here.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/hgYxIm8mZso

I am using the 64bit version of Warthog and SoftTH.

However everytime I try to actually get into a mission, I get a dialogue box come up that says this.

DCS: A-10C has stopped working

Windows can check online for a solution to the problem.

Then with the option to check online or to close the program, then with the problem details which dont mean a lot to me in a drop down option below.

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit, An ATI Eyefinity 6 Graphics card with the latest ATi Drivers, all monitors are connected through either display port or active display port adaptors.

I have tried full and not full screen mode, both with the same result.

Does anyone have any ideas what I maybe doing wrong?

Has anyone else had any success with the 64bit SoftTH??

This is my config.SoftTHconfig

This is my option.lua (graphics portion)

This is my file called 1BigCamera.lua

Did anyone get the chance to look over this or had any success with the 64bit SoftTH???

So I've read all 19 pages and still can't get this to work :(

I just bought the cougar MFD's and I want them to overlap my MFD's on the left-hand monitor.

My right monitor is a 22'inch 1280x1024 and my left one is a 32inch 1360x768. I want the main cockpit display on the left, and the mfd's on the right, but each mfd on the left corner and one on the right corner.

Every .lua file I try making fails miserably and doesn't even load...the game just crashes. I guess I don't understand all this stuff.

Anyone be able to help?

You are going to have to move your monitors in your windows (CCC or Nvidia Control Center) monitor setup page and put your 1280x1024 on the right of the 1360x768 display...but you do not have to physically move them there. Make sure that the tops of the monitors line up in order for my numbers to work

Make sure you set you monitor resolution in the Sim gui as 2640x1024 then select 16:9 aspect and then select the correct monitor setup in the monitor window(whatever you name this file below.

Try these numbers below

_  = function(p) return p; end;
name = _('My_example');
Description = 'Two Monitor Config'
Viewports =
{
    Center =
    {
         x = 0;
         y = 0;
         width = 1360;
         height = 768;
         viewDx = 0;
         viewDy = 0;
         aspect = 1.77;
    }
}
LEFT_MFCD =
{
    x = 1360;
    y = 650;
    width = 374;
    height = 374;
}
RIGHT_MFCD =
{
    x = 2266;
    y = 650;
    width = 374;
    height = 374;
}

Edited by airdog

Airdog

| Asus ROG Strix Z370-E Mobo | i7 8700K @ 4.7 | 32 GB DDR4@3200mhz | Gigabyte 2080Ti OC 11GB| Samsung M.2 960 Evo 250Gb and 500Gb | Win10 Pro | Hotas Warthog #02743 | Track IR 5 | Toshiba 47" 120hz LED | Acer 23" Touchscreen | HELIOS |Oculus Rift-S|

http://www.blackknightssquadron.com/

removed.. need to check something..

Edited by MadTommy

This might have been said, but:

- Failing to uncheck 'Full Screen' in options will result in a crash on Win7 64.

- Turn off 'heat blur' in options, because the heat blur is totally misaligned from the engines, at least for me (1 X Nvidia GTX 580). It's misaligned, pointing in the wrong direction, and only visible from certain specific angles. Weird, and definitely wrong.

This might have been said, but:

- Failing to uncheck 'Full Screen' in options will result in a crash on Win7 64.

- Turn off 'heat blur' in options, because the heat blur is totally misaligned from the engines, at least for me (1 X Nvidia GTX 580). It's misaligned, pointing in the wrong direction, and only visible from certain specific angles. Weird, and definitely wrong.

there is a heat blur mod.

http://www.lockonfiles.com/index.php/topic/35419-diveplanes-heli-heat-blur-mod-for-lofc-20-dcs-blackshark/

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

First off, thanks so much for the excellent guide!

My experience with setting up 2x 1920x1080 monitors was relatively uneventful.

I wanted to note that while both of my monitors are the same 1920x1080 resolution, one is an ASUS VE276Q 27" and the other is an Acer 23". This physical difference in size did not cause any issues in setting up MM.

I was able to configure two successful set-ups:

1. Primary display on Left; Secondary display on Right.
  2. Primary display on Top; Secondary display on Bottom.

My physical layout is actually with the Primary display on the Right and Secondary display on the Left. I use set-up #2 because I find it easier to move down to get to my Left display vs. move Right to get to my Left display. Also, I can use Windows 7 Snap on my Top display, on both sides of either display, and to snap to the top of the Bottom display I just use WIN + Up Arrow shortcut.

FYI: No amount of experimentation was able to let me use a set-up with Primary display on Left and Secondary display on Right.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My MFCD's always displayed perfectly on my Secondary display; however, my Primary display was "squashed" at first.

I'd like to recommend editing your guide to include an option when creating a custom lua file.

In your guide it says that setting the aspect ratio is not necessary:

Multi monitor set-up guide: DCS-A10c - Final

Display your MFCDs on a 2nd, 3rd etc monitor

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Centre is located at coordinates: x=0, y=0; (as its my furthest left monitor.. your left monitor's top left corner is always x=0, y=0)

width & height are my resolution (1680x1050).

You do not need to edit viewDx, viewDy or aspect.

I think it would be a good idea to suggest that IF your Primary (Center) display appears to be "squashed", you MAY have to input the aspect ratio of your Primary (Center) by dividing the horizontal/vertical dimensions of that display ONLY. When I say ONLY, I mean to only calculate this aspect with respect to the resolution of the SINGLE (Primary, Center) display, and not the combined resolution of ALL displays.

After some experimentation, I was able to determine that in order for my Primary display to appear "unsquashed" I had to manually enter my aspect ratio of 1.777777778 (append length at your discretion) when using a 1920x1080 resolution.

Again, relatively uneventful; very well written guide. Thanks!

cesthree a.k.a. WH_Taco

ASUS P7P55D-E DELUXE 1504 BIOS / i7 875K / CORSAIR 2x 4GB VENGEANCE

CORSAIR AX850 / 160GB INTEL X25-M G2 / 150GB VELOCIRAPTOR / 750GB WD BLACK

7 PRO X64 SP1 / CATALYST 11.5 / AFTERBURNER 2.2 BETA 3 / MSI R6970 TWIN FROZR III LIGHTNING

Unable to get 2 monitor working

I have tried to follow the guide but am unable to get 2 displays to show?

I have the following setup

Windows 7 Ultimate 64

GeForce 7950 GX2 dual video card

Screen resolution is set to 'extend these displays'

I have two 1280x1024 monitors, I would like the main cockpit on the main screen, and the 2 MFCD displays on the monitor to the left of the main monitor.

I have created the following .lua file and placed it in the folder

..\\DCS A-10C\Config\MonitorSetup

name = _('My_example');

Description = 'Two monitor configuration';

Viewports =

{

Center =

{

x = 1280;

y = 0;

width = 1280;

height = 1024;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 1.25;

}

}

LEFT_MFCD =

{

x = 0;

y = 192;

width = 640;

height = 640;

}

RIGHT_MFCD =

{

x = 640;

y = 192;

width = 640;

height = 640;

}

When I run DCS A-10C I select options and set the following

resolution - 2560x1024

monitors - select my lua file

full screen - off

After starting DCS I see the cockpit on the right display but nothing on the left display, just a black screen.

What am I doing wrong? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

John

I have tried to follow the guide but am unable to get 2 displays to show?

I have the following setup

Windows 7 Ultimate 64

GeForce 7950 GX2 dual video card

Screen resolution is set to 'extend these displays'

I have two 1280x1024 monitors, I would like the main cockpit on the main screen, and the 2 MFCD displays on the monitor to the left of the main monitor.

I have created the following .lua file and placed it in the folder

..\\DCS A-10C\Config\MonitorSetup

name = _('My_example');

Description = 'Two monitor configuration';

Viewports =

{

Center =

{

x = 1280;

y = 0;

width = 1280;

height = 1024;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 1.25;

}

}

LEFT_MFCD =

{

x = 0;

y = 192;

width = 640;

height = 640;

}

RIGHT_MFCD =

{

x = 640;

y = 192;

width = 640;

height = 640;

}

When I run DCS A-10C I select options and set the following

resolution - 2560x1024

monitors - select my lua file

full screen - off

After starting DCS I see the cockpit on the right display but nothing on the left display, just a black screen.

What am I doing wrong? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

John

Are you starting in a cold pit? Try starting in a mission where the Warthog is hot; if the appropriate systems are not turned on, you wont see anything on the MFCD's.

7 PRO X64 SP1 / CATALYST 11.5 / AFTERBURNER 2.2 BETA 3 / MSI R6970 TWIN FROZR III LIGHTNING

I am trying to duplicate what 'MadTommy' showed in the first post, however I want the 2 MFCD displays on the left side monitor. I get the cockpit on the right monitor with working MFCD's but nothing shows on the 2nd monitor?

John

I need to do a little tweaking on the guide.. as a few issues have been highlighted.

One of which you have found i reckon..

You can do what you describe.. but the left monitor MUST be the 'primary' monitor in Windows.. and the cockpit will be on the 2nd monitor, with the MFCDs on the 'primary' one.

I am trying to duplicate what 'MadTommy' showed in the first post, however I want the 2 MFCD displays on the left side monitor. I get the cockpit on the right monitor with working MFCD's but nothing shows on the 2nd monitor?

John

I re-read your original post so I understand what's happening now.

You want your Primary (Main) display on the Right, and your Secondary display on the Left.

Read my post above yours. It explains that I couldn't get DCS: A-10C to do that either.

It works in Windows, but it will not work that way in the game.

Your lua file is correct, and if it could work, it would work. IDK why it won't.

There have been quite a few people in this thread that have tried to configure like you and I, but just can't make it work. I think that DCS: Blackshark was the same way; I spent days trying to get it configured with the Secondary Display on the left. Can't be done.

You can put your Secondary display on the Right, Above, or Below using a custom lua and it works just fine independent of the physical positions of your monitors.

Edited by cesthree