Hypoxia and Lose consciousness model

REL

It seems to me to be realistic, however, having flown a flight the other day above 20k ft, I needed to put on the emergency oxygen to keep from blacking out. That however, isn't realistic. I also wasn't pulling Gs or and maneuver that would require extra oxygen, and I've flown real world wearing the Gentex HGU-55/P over 20k without turning on the 100%. I should mention though that when 100% emergency is switched on (all 3 switches up, not just red and green like in the sim), really tastes awesome! Like kitnap for humans, hehe.

A-10C - FC3 - CA - L-39 - UH1 - P-51 - Hawk - BS2 - F-86 - Gazelle - F-5E - AV8B - F/A-18C

i5-4590 - GTX 1060 - Oculus CV1 - TM:Warthog

[sIGPIC]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic9979_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

It seems to me to be realistic, however, having flown a flight the other day above 20k ft, I needed to put on the emergency oxygen to keep from blacking out. That however, isn't realistic.

Did you forget to pressurize the cabin?

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

It seems to me to be realistic, however, having flown a flight the other day above 20k ft, I needed to put on the emergency oxygen to keep from blacking out. That however, isn't realistic. I also wasn't pulling Gs or and maneuver that would require extra oxygen, and I've flown real world wearing the Gentex HGU-55/P over 20k without turning on the 100%. I should mention though that when 100% emergency is switched on (all 3 switches up, not just red and green like in the sim), really tastes awesome! Like kitnap for humans, hehe.

You sir are full of poop!

at 8,000 feet hypoxia is possible. so flying at 20k with out oxygen.... whatever!

unless I completely misunderstood

Now where is that speed brakes control again?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

what accomplishes this ?? I must be missing a step in my preflight.. :pilotfly:

Bleed Air and Main Air Source switches to on (i think that's what they're called).

Come let's eat grandpa!

I thought, that switched were non-functional?! :smartass:

But I turned it always on ...

kind regards,

Fire

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

at 8,000 feet hypoxia is possible. so flying at 20k with out oxygen.... whatever!

Possible but very unlikely. Unless you start to maneuver.

Btw., for your own good, lose the attitude ;)

Come let's eat grandpa!

unless I completely misunderstood

At ZERO feet hypoxia is possible

Histotoxic hypoxia that is...

just have a few beers

Climb to angels 20 and monitor the cabin altitude gauge as you turn them on, then ;)

Yeah, I saw that yesterday but I still thought: just "make-up". :music_whistling:

kind regards,

Fire

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I've spent as much as 20 minutes at a time at 14,000 feet with no oxygen without any noticeable symptoms of hypoxia. I've also flown at 12,000 feet for about an hour and never felt like I was having any kind of hypoxia issues. Maybe I'm just in good health, but then again I wasn't doing anything other than sitting there.

You can go up to 14000 ft or so without oxygen and be fine. Above that altitude it is dangerous to fly, and not so good if you are sitting, either. The issue on the ground is "altitude sickness", and it can hit you quickly, whilst hypoxia can give you a false sense of well-being and total inability to function.

Climbers that go up the likes of K2, if it is their first time at high altitude, may need to spend a few days at camps low down whilst they adjust, then they can climb to the next camp higher up the mountain.

Commercial aircraft are limited to 10,000 ft without pressurization.

Much over 18,000 ft and oxygen is almost a must, unless you are in peak physical fitness and have acclimatized to high altitudes.

Those who are slightly overweight or *ahem* larger ... are much more susceptible to the effects of hypoxia than someone who is very slim (not underweight). They've discovered that in such situations, the body fat breaks down and compounds the problem of a lack of oxygen to the brain.

Listen to this crew as their aircraft suffers a pressurization problem. They are FL250 and climbing at the start of the tape. Note the *DESCENT* to FL260, before the controller realizes he's got hypoxia and tells him to descend to FL110: http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photogallery/Videos/2010-1-2-HypoxiaAudioOnly.wmv

Scary!

Best regards,

Tango.

Edited by Tango

you black out and become a flaming greasy spot. i think that is worse.

Actually it can, you loose hand eye coordination, hallucinate things of that nature. search symptoms of hyposia.

Now where is that speed brakes control again?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi,

I think in the sim you can pass out? I started suffering hypoxia in the sim but then I recognized it and descended as fast as I could so I never actually reached the point of finding out if I lost total control.

Best regards,

Tango.

you black out and become a flaming greasy spot. i think that is worse.

Actually it can, you loose hand eye coordination, hallucinate things of that nature. search symptoms of hyposia.

Can it get worse then this in the sim ?

I agree with alpha on this one. You can fly to altitude without Blacking out instantly. Unfortunately the 1st signs of hypoxia are hard to notice. Which is why in the US they require all pilots to use it well before truly necessary. Many thing will influence when hypoxia will start to take effect on you. If you live in the mountains, 7000 msl, you will more then likely be able to climb higher than a pilot of the same shape how lives at sea level. Drinking alcohol will drastically increase your chances of hypoxia. Having a beer in your system from the day before will still effect you. And lastly being in good shape will help you.

The required altitudes the FAA for oxygen is a catch all. It's better to have everyone breathing early that too late.

Read the Book. Fighting the flying circus. In WW1 there were pilots flying over 20000 feet without oxygen! I can only imagine the feeling of a open cockpit bi plane at that altitude.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi,

I think in the sim you can pass out? I started suffering hypoxia in the sim but then I recognized it and descended as fast as I could so I never actually reached the point of finding out if I lost total control.

Best regards,

Tango.

Interesting ... Maybe ED can clarify this one .... :book:

Climbers that go up the likes of K2, if it is their first time at high altitude, may need to spend a few days at camps low down whilst they adjust, then they can climb to the next camp higher up the mountain.

You need to do that every time you go up. Without stimulating your system, the acclimatisation wears off in 3-4 weeks.

I've spent as much as 20 minutes at a time at 14,000 feet with no oxygen without any noticeable symptoms of hypoxia.

Next time you do, do a few quick knee bends, sit down and enjoy the show :D

Edited by sobek

Come let's eat grandpa!

If pressurization is working you should not need O2 at any altitude!!

When it fails though, different story, commercial law says (if I remember correctly, been awhile) , 2 hours at 10K max, 30min at 12K and O2 anything above 12K.

On the BE20 O2 masks will pop out if cabin altitude goes through 13500'

Edited by RogueRunner

With the price of ammunition these days do not expect a warning shot.

When it fails though, different story, commercial law says (if I remember correctly, been awhile) , 2 hours at 10K max, 30min at 12K and O2 anything above 12K.

On the BE20 O2 masks will pop out if cabin altitude goes through 13500'

In Canada it's no more than 30min at 10 000' without O2, but some pilot I know told me that in his early days, he was forced(by his compagny) to fly over 12000' for more than 4h, because if he flew lower he woudnt have enough fuel....:music_whistling:

Do you think that getting 9 women pregnant will get you a baby in 1 month?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mobo: Asus P8P67 deluxe Monitor: Lg 22'' 1920*1080

CPU: i7 2600k@ 4.8Ghz +Zalman CNPS9900 max

Keyboard: Logitech G15

GPU:GTX 980 Strix Mouse: Sidewinder X8

PSU: Corsair TX750w Gaming Devices: Saytek X52, TrackIr5

RAM: Mushkin 2x4gb ddr3 9-9-9-24 @1600mhz

Case: 690 SSD: Intel X25m 80gb

The 'unofficial' Twin Otter altitude record at a previous company where I worked was apparently 26000'. Note that the Twotter is unpressurised and was not fitted with oxygen masks.....young, stupid, etc etc. It depends on the person. The sim of course will assume we're all identical, black us out probably slightly too soon (since thats basically all it can do), and allow full control despite the loss of vision. Not really correct, but close enough for our purposes I suppose.

You can go up to 14000 ft or so without oxygen and be fine. Above that altitude it is dangerous to fly, and not so good if you are sitting, either. The issue on the ground is "altitude sickness", and it can hit you quickly, whilst hypoxia can give you a false sense of well-being and total inability to function.

Commercial aircraft are limited to 10,000 ft without pressurization.

Much over 18,000 ft and oxygen is almost a must, unless you are in peak physical fitness and have acclimatized to high altitudes.

Those who are slightly overweight or *ahem* larger ... are much more susceptible to the effects of hypoxia than someone who is very slim (not underweight). They've discovered that in such situations, the body fat breaks down and compounds the problem of a lack of oxygen to the brain.

Listen to this crew as their aircraft suffers a pressurization problem. They are FL250 and climbing at the start of the tape. Note the *DESCENT* to FL260, before the controller realizes he's got hypoxia and tells him to descend to FL110: http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photogallery/Videos/2010-1-2-HypoxiaAudioOnly.wmv

Scary!

Best regards,

Tango.

Hey Tango,

Is FL260 26000 feet? Also, what's the beeping in the background on the aircraft? That's crazy...

Intel i7 6700k, Asus GTX1070, 16gb DDR4 @ 3200mhz, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung Evo 850 SSD @ 500GB * 2, TrackIR 5 and 27" monitor running at 2560 * 1440, Windows 10.