coordinates in nine line don't make sense (to me)

papaskot

So i thought i had a good handle on things (after doing all the training units, and some of them twice) until i tried the first campaign mission. did a days worth of searching around on here, and printing some pdfs off, but i am still confused about one thing.

the first campaign, the first mission. i get the coordinates of MM141729 from jtac in my 9-line. this doesnt seem to be a L/L or UTM number. what the heck am i supposed to do with that? i am trying to set a new waypoint up so i can attack this column of tanks but i've no idea what to do with the number.

Thanks in advance, and thanks for you patience with all the noob questions that are popping up since the game was released. im sure some of these things have been beat to death before, but this is my first real flight sim since the days of Jane's.

So i thought i had a good handle on things (after doing all the training units, and some of them twice) until i tried the first campaign mission. did a days worth of searching around on here, and printing some pdfs off, but i am still confused about one thing.

the first campaign, the first mission. i get the coordinates of MM141729 from jtac in my 9-line. this doesnt seem to be a L/L or UTM number. what the heck am i supposed to do with that? i am trying to set a new waypoint up so i can attack this column of tanks but i've no idea what to do with the number.

Thanks in advance, and thanks for you patience with all the noob questions that are popping up since the game was released. im sure some of these things have been beat to death before, but this is my first real flight sim since the days of Jane's.

There is a way to enter those coordinates into your waypoint computer. Not sure how, however-

If you have your data link switch turned on (it's under the left MFD, not sure exactly what it's called. Check the tooltips for the switches down there... I think it's the bottom right one), after the 9-line they will send you a datalink. This will make a red triangle appear on your TAD map. You can then slew the TAD cursor to that triangle and make it a SPI through the appropriate HOTAS hat command.

i realize that is how it is supposed to work but there is also some posts saying you will not receive one? i'm not sure...either way, i had the id set to 2 instead of one. regardless i should still be able to use the coordinates they give me right? they just dont seem to be in a usable format.

they are UTM create a new WP in your CDU and use the coords, minus the MM

Negatory. You need to enter the "MM" when inputting UTM coordinates into the cdu. They are basically giving you a map grid and the MM is needed to identify where the grid box is located. 6 digit grid gives you are 100X100 meter box.

Burner

Intel Core i7 9700 @ 5.1Ghz, Nvidia RTX 2080Ti, Win 10 Pro 64 Bit, HOTAS Hornet, Virpil CM2 Base, MFG Rudders , HP Reverb Pro

Negatory. You need to enter the "MM" when inputting UTM coordinates into the cdu. They are basically giving you a map grid and the MM is needed to identify where the grid box is located. 6 digit grid gives you are 100X100 meter box.

ahh thanks, i realize i was trying to put them in the wrong part of CDU when entering in utm mode. so then i tried without the MM and knew that wasnt right when the waypoint was deep in blue territory.

In order to enter the UTM coord in the CDU, you need to switch the OSB 9 on the right MFPS CDU repeater from L/L (Lat,Long) to UTM. With this switch, you can now create a new waypoint, with the MM141729 entered in the OSB 16 position.

I have never used the letters UTM always seemes to work for me

In order to enter the UTM coord in the CDU, you need to switch the OSB 9 on the right MFPS CDU repeater from L/L (Lat,Long) to UTM. With this switch, you can now create a new waypoint, with the MM141729 entered in the OSB 16 position.

my problem was that i was trying to enter the utm coord into lsk l3 instead of lsk l4:doh:

I have never used the letters UTM always seemes to work for me

Most likely you have been entering Lat/Long and not UTM.

Burner

Intel Core i7 9700 @ 5.1Ghz, Nvidia RTX 2080Ti, Win 10 Pro 64 Bit, HOTAS Hornet, Virpil CM2 Base, MFG Rudders , HP Reverb Pro

i realize that is how it is supposed to work but there is also some posts saying you will not receive one? i'm not sure...either way, i had the id set to 2 instead of one. regardless i should still be able to use the coordinates they give me right? they just dont seem to be in a usable format.

After takeoff, you must set Net ID and Group both to 1.

yes if data isnt'received via triangle then (group) ID is wrong. So press the NET osb in lower right corner from your TAD. and then press 1 in the scratchpad beneath your hud and then push on the top ID. then press 1 again in scratchpad and push the lower ID. when both are set to 1 it SHOULD work.

regarding mavericks yeah I don't know if the different types matter much but they will lock in my experience anywhere between 7 and 5 nautical miles.

Hi,

I've been struggling with the same thing.

Found two videos with examples. At least I managed to put the coordinates in the cdu.

and

I also heard that there is a bug with your ID-number after take off. And also that the first missions are bugged, that you wont get the targets even if you buy the jtac guys beer and pot.

Still haven't got it to work properly.

Hi my 2 cents. No bug in net id, AFAIK! I never change mine unless I am in MP

JTAC works just about every time. Make sure you got freq and radio's set up.

Practice using the CDU it is very daunting but a worthwhile study:thumbup:

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

After takeoff, you must set Net ID and Group both to 1.

i've never gotten the triangle. i've done the first mission/first campaign many times, some i leave the net id alone, sometimes i change it to 1. no data link ever came through. i dont care too much as i'll just put the position through manually.

You definitely do not want to put your NET to 1-1 in all scenarios. For instance, even though I am considered 1-1 in the "Defend the base" (second non-campaign mission in the list), it defaults my NET to 2-1. If I set it to 1-1, I never get a data link.

There seems to be no ryhme nor reason to what your NET is supposed to be set to in the game.

In the first campaign mission, you should be 1-1 though, and there is a bug sometimes that sets you to something else after takeoff.

I just wish there was a way to request another data link from them after the initial one if your NET wasn't set correctly.

• Like 1