Anyone having problem using Skhval targeting system ?

I am having hard time getting the target designator on the target with Su25T. The problem is that the targeting cursor sometimes (very unpredictably - each 2 to 10 seconds) seem just take it's own course and lot of the time I am basically faiting with it to push it in opposite direction to where the cursor is going on it's own - combined with trying to put it over the target. This is really not very pleasant. The cursor is sometimes wandering on it's own (less often) even if the targeting system is not locked onto ground point but tied with aircraft movement and I am not touching any controls. When I achieve target lock the lock is kept - most of the time, but from time to time the target lock is broken suddently and targeting cursor quickly wanders away from the target (I mean a MILE away - again without me touching targeting controls).

I have (for about a month) CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle & CH pedals. I binded throttle hat to the the target designator movements. I checked (a couple of times) whether something else is not binded to target designator

- it is not. FYI, when flying A-10 - the target designator works fine there with Mavericks - it moves only when I move it.

I've not had the problem you describe Roman, the only thing I notice is on my low end PC (marginal for Lock On really) that the cursor doesn't always respond as quickly as I'd like.

Unbind "designator" from joystick and try with keybord. If it is will be OK, so you have problem with joy. Joysticks with low quality komponents have high noise and designator can move by it selv. For instance in Saitek X52 the same thing is with potentiometrar...

Try with keybord first.

Knowlege is power!!!

• ED Team
...but from time to time the target lock is broken suddently and targeting cursor quickly wanders away from the target...

Maybe you just exceeded the bank angle alowed for Skhval in lock down position? :)

Best Regards, Dmitry.

"Чтобы дойти до цели, надо прежде всего идти." © О. Бальзак

I am having hard time getting the target designator on the target with Su25T. The problem is that the targeting cursor sometimes (very unpredictably - each 2 to 10 seconds) seem just take it's own course and lot of the time I am basically faiting with it to push it in opposite direction to where the cursor is going on it's own - combined with trying to put it over the target. This is really not very pleasant. The cursor is sometimes wandering on it's own (less often) even if the targeting system is not locked onto ground point but tied with aircraft movement and I am not touching any controls. When I achieve target lock the lock is kept - most of the time, but from time to time the target lock is broken suddently and targeting cursor quickly wanders away from the target (I mean a MILE away - again without me touching targeting controls).

I have (for about a month) CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle & CH pedals. I binded throttle hat to the the target designator movements. I checked (a couple of times) whether something else is not binded to target designator

- it is not. FYI, when flying A-10 - the target designator works fine there with Mavericks - it moves only when I move it.

you might be flying too low. When the target is obstructed by something you can't see, usually buildings or other objects the lock will break which might explain why it seems to break lock for no reason. You can usually avoid this by flying higher

Try using the Ctrl+ and Ctrl- keys to set the proper target designator size. Once the proper target designated size is entered, hit your lock on switch that you've programmed into your HOTAS and fire away.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone trying to help me with solving my problem ...

o I am quite sure I don't have bad potentiometer problem - I don't have target designator binded to joystick axes - I binded it to joystick buttons - those should not generate "noise" as potentiometers tend to do - and CH is supposed to be higher quality joystick anyway (well - at least judging from the price ...)

o I am sure I am not exceeding bank angle - I see the target in mid-bottom part of HUD - mean that I am within Shkval gimbal limits - and even if I was not - the target designator should not move on it's own ...

o I am not flying too low - nor the target is obstructed - my altitude is more than 1000 meters above terrain. And even if the target get obstructed - that should cause target designator to just stop tracking and not to move accross the tarrain at speed about 200 meters per second ...

o I have correct size of the target - 10 x 10 m - which is about the size of tank/truck.

I did a bit of investigation. I unplugged my joystick, then throttle, then pedals. After I unplugged the pedals - (with joystick and throttle plugged in) the problem disappeared. I plugged the pedals back - the problem was there again - even if I have NOTHING mapped to pedal axes. Since I like to use the pedals - I tried to "fix" my problem this way - I defined 100% dead zone for two pedal axes which I am not using at all, and small dead zone for the axis which I am using for rudder control. This helped a LOT. From that moment - I see the designator problem very rarely - about once per 10 LOMAC sessions.

My "solution" indicates that there is some bug in LOMAC code which parses the joystick data - it seems that unbinded joystick controls are able to affect unrelated LOMAC functions (like the targed designator). Also my problem and solution seem very similar to problem and solution of people having Zoom in/Out control problem.

• 8 years later...

I am having the same problem suddenly. im only using an X52 no pedals, did all kinds of training missions, no problem. then suddenly when I was on the target practice map, the skhval starts slewing right. I can stop it temp by mashing buttons.. but it will keep doing it.

tried flying with no joystick plugged in. fully out of computer, still does it.

tried unplugging my keyboard. still does it.

jumped into freeflight, ground mode, skhval on..... still does it. so weird man. tomorrow ill try some training missions again and maybe set my deadzones to large, even though I had my stick unplugged.