Who's getting the AMD 6990 Dual Core

Alright the AMD 6990 is being released on 3-8-2011. Who is getting this power hungry piece of hardware?

http://hw-lab.com/amd-radeon-hd-6990-specs-revealed.html

It most likely will be around $600.00. If you get one, please post performance with DCS. I just got a 6970, so I need to save a bit before I can sneak a 6990 into the house.

Good thing the wife would not know one graphic card from another. Just need to get rid of the newegg box, and packaging when I do spring for one.

Edited by Evader

tried dual chip cards before....never again. Its not worth the trouble unless your really obsessed by 1 titlte that just happens to be compatible with SLI or crossfire.

Not only that, my last one failed, was power hungry and noisy and could fry eggs on it.

• Like 1

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

i wont buy it, im a intel/nvidia guy through and through

• Like 1

Inno3d RTX 2070 Twin X2, ASUS STRIX Z270E Gaming, Intel i7 7700K, 32GB Corsair vengeance, Kingston Hyper X FPS Alloy Cherry MX Red, Logitech G102 Prodigy, Track Ir 5, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Rudder pedals, Beyer Dynamic DT770, Acer CB280HK 4K monitor, Win 10 Pro 64bit

Would you get the Nvidia GTX 590?

when the price gets lower, i propally will.

but right now im satisfied with my GTX460

Inno3d RTX 2070 Twin X2, ASUS STRIX Z270E Gaming, Intel i7 7700K, 32GB Corsair vengeance, Kingston Hyper X FPS Alloy Cherry MX Red, Logitech G102 Prodigy, Track Ir 5, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Rudder pedals, Beyer Dynamic DT770, Acer CB280HK 4K monitor, Win 10 Pro 64bit

It seems the serious reviews pretty much sum it up. If you want a CF setup, forget the 6990. Its louder, hotter, sucks up more juice and doesnt perform better.

My PC specs below:

It seems the serious reviews pretty much sum it up. If you want a CF setup, forget the 6990. Its louder, hotter, sucks up more juice and doesnt perform better.

Who cares about loud...throw the fan away, slap on a watercooling block, and crank that bastard!

For someone that does not want one...sure up and reading them reviews quick. Admit it Pilotasso, you want a 6990 bad!

So the only reason to read rewievs is wanting one?

...maybe people read reviews to find out whether they should be wanting one? ;)

...or just out of a general technology interest. I read reviews for tonnes of CULV processors and such stuff, but it's not like I'm planning on buying one. I just happen to have a technology interest.

EDIT: Oh, and please shorten your signature. 6 lines is the limit stipulated by the rules. ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Dont want a 6990, 2 580's is better, but if I had to build a new rig I would settle with just 1. None of my titles gains much with 2 GPU's and thats only 1 of the major drawbacks with these setups.

My PC specs below:

Alright the AMD 6990 is being released on 3-8-2011. Who is getting this power hungry piece of hardware?

It most likely will be around $600.00. If you get one, please post performance with DCS. I just got a 6970, so I need to save a bit before I can sneak a 6990 into the house.

Good thing the wife would not know one graphic card from another. Just need to get rid of the newegg box, and packaging when I do spring for one.

For $700+ and that crude cooling solution, no thanks. I'm going to see what Nvidia has to offer with the 590, but I'm not hopeful there either. I wonder if I can wait until the next generation, but the current generation really isn't all that great.

Having had dual GPU video card and two in CF before I'm kinda shying away from them in the future as it's hit'n'miss with what game you have works with it good or not... and in past FC1 was running faster with them but it gave stutters... so even though having checked performance reviews on this card and they do seem impressive, when it works (but so does the price also) I'm gonna pass and wait till next good single GPU card comes out.

I also don't like how they keep changing connectors... just as you get adapter for one type of output they go and change it to different one... bastards...

Edited by Kuky

No longer active in DCS...

I've just ordered 2, and a Gigabyte Assassin motherboard which will arrive tomorrow. Keen to get this built and see how it runs :)

"Eject eject eject! Say goodbye, a**hole."

"Eject eject eject! Goodbye, a**hole!" :megalol:

i7 980x, Corsair H70, Asus Rampage 3 Extreme, 6Gb Corsair Dominator GT, 2x 6990 Crossfire, OCZ Vertex II 60Gb, 2x WD Caviar Black 1Tb, X-Fi Fatal1ty PCI, G19, Roccat Kone+, HOTAS Warthog, TrackIR 5 + Trackclip Pro

you better have a 1000W power supply as well then. :)

My PC specs below:

According to this article you'd save yourself money and get better performance in a number of games by buying a second 6970 and running it in Crossfire mode than you would buying the 6990.

I've just ordered 2, and a Gigabyte Assassin motherboard which will arrive tomorrow. Keen to get this built and see how it runs :)

Two, you order another power supply too?

Koolance will have Waterblocks out in <2 weeks for the 6990. Judging by the distance between GPU's, the WC block will be almost as huge as the card and weigh a ton. I may someday drop some coin for one, but I just got my 6970's and WC blocks for them, so I'll most likely wait a bit.

Let us know how they run with A-10.

EDIT: What's wrong with your Asus R3E MB?

Edited by Evader

Two, you order another power supply too?

Koolance will have Waterblocks out in <2 weeks for the 6990. Judging by the distance between GPU's, the WC block will be almost as huge as the card and weigh a ton. I may someday drop some coin for one, but I just got my 6970's and WC blocks for them, so I'll most likely wait a bit.

Let us know how they run with A-10.

EDIT: What's wrong with your Asus R3E MB?

I have a corsair 1200watt psu, I'm confident it will do fine :). Theres nothing wrong with the asus rampage or the 5970 I have, they will probably be kept as spares or sold. I'm just fortunate in that I have a bit of cash to play around with, and after checking out the 6990's benchmarks I am shall we say... impressed.

i7 980x, Corsair H70, Asus Rampage 3 Extreme, 6Gb Corsair Dominator GT, 2x 6990 Crossfire, OCZ Vertex II 60Gb, 2x WD Caviar Black 1Tb, X-Fi Fatal1ty PCI, G19, Roccat Kone+, HOTAS Warthog, TrackIR 5 + Trackclip Pro

Man, but 2 separate cards are so much better. take the time for the research. :)

My PC specs below:

I love my 6970, and with the 6990's release the prices on the 6970's are already starting to drop. Just wondering if it would be worth buying another one for crossfire. Thoughts, feelings.....?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

| Windows 7 64bit | i7 3960x oc'd 4.8 GHz | Asus Rampage IV Formula | 4 x 8 GB Corsair Vengance DDR3 | ASUS 7970-DC2-3GD5 | Asus Xonar DX | Corsair H100 | OCZ Vertex 2 x 120 GB SSD RAID-0 | 3 x ASUS 27" monitors Eyefinity | 2 x ASUS 24" monitors w/touchscreen overlays | ViewSonic 22" TouchScreen Monitor | TM HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | TrackIR 5 | Logitech G19 | Logitech G9x Mouse | Astro A40 headset | ButtKicker Gamer 2 | SoftTH x64 | Loz's Helios Profile |

DCS A10 using my current rig, runs really well and i'm very satisfied with it, but that beast of a card would be nice. Of course, its so damn big I'd have to, essentially, rebuild the entire computer around it. If i was running 3+ monitors at max res with all the bells and whistles I'd probably consider this card.

Ryzen9 5800X3D, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite, 32Gb Gskill Trident DDR4 3600 CL16, Samsung 990 Pr0 1Tb Nvme Gen4, Evo860 1Tb 2.5 SSD and Team 1Tb 2.5 SSD, MSI Suprim X RTX4090 , Corsair h115i Platinum AIO, NZXT H710i case, Seasonic Focus 850W psu, Gigabyte Aorus AD27QHD Gsync 1ms IPS 2k monitor 144Mhz, Track ir4, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate w/extension, Virpil T50 CM3 Throttle, Saitek terrible pedals, RiftS

I love my 6970, and with the 6990's release the prices on the 6970's are already starting to drop. Just wondering if it would be worth buying another one for crossfire. Thoughts, feelings.....?

Depends, are you running full screen or are you exporting MFCD's in windowed mode. Crossfire works only in Fullscreen. I have two 6970's, but only one installed now. I get good frames but I am maxed out, GPU usage is @ 100% running 2560x2368 windowed mode. Temps get to only 45C, but I got the fan cranked to 75%.

I'm running 3 monitors in eyefinity @ 5780 x 1080, I would have been happy with 1 6970, but running 3 monitors I took a slight FPS hit. That's why I'm considering getting a second card if its going to help with DCS. I like my settings on max....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

| Windows 7 64bit | i7 3960x oc'd 4.8 GHz | Asus Rampage IV Formula | 4 x 8 GB Corsair Vengance DDR3 | ASUS 7970-DC2-3GD5 | Asus Xonar DX | Corsair H100 | OCZ Vertex 2 x 120 GB SSD RAID-0 | 3 x ASUS 27" monitors Eyefinity | 2 x ASUS 24" monitors w/touchscreen overlays | ViewSonic 22" TouchScreen Monitor | TM HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | TrackIR 5 | Logitech G19 | Logitech G9x Mouse | Astro A40 headset | ButtKicker Gamer 2 | SoftTH x64 | Loz's Helios Profile |

Man, but 2 separate cards are so much better. take the time for the research. :)

I disagree. While nvidia runs certain games better, ATI seems to lead the field at the minute. AMD used to have the best processors, nothing touched the good old FX-55 in its day :P But now Intel dominate with their cpus and AMD are moving on in leaps and bounds the graphics market. Fair enough, sli and crossfire scaling arent that great, but with all the new technology that is being churned out at the minute, and once nvidia and ati get drivers optimized for better scaling, time will tell.

I got this computer set up today, but damnably, windows refused to install with the gigabyte motherboard. So I'm sticking with my trusty rampage while the assassin gets RMA'ed. So far the setup is looking good and the cards produce no more noise than a single 5970, which is good. Temperatures are understandably a bit higher now, but nothing that a well ventilated case can't deal with. Dragon Age II maxed out runs flawlessly, fps through the roof, no stuttering, artifacts or noticeable loading occuring. Thats the only real challenge this setup has had so far though, I'll get Warthog installed later and give this beast a real run-in. :thumbup: