Who's getting the AMD 6990 Dual Core

dsc00081wj.jpg

:D

"Eject eject eject! Say goodbye, a**hole."

"Eject eject eject! Goodbye, a**hole!" :megalol:

i7 980x, Corsair H70, Asus Rampage 3 Extreme, 6Gb Corsair Dominator GT, 2x 6990 Crossfire, OCZ Vertex II 60Gb, 2x WD Caviar Black 1Tb, X-Fi Fatal1ty PCI, G19, Roccat Kone+, HOTAS Warthog, TrackIR 5 + Trackclip Pro

Armchair experts. Until you build a computer like this and witness the results firsthand, even with crappy beta drivers, then all your knowledge is based on are OEM reviews. Since money isn't really a problem to me, building this wasn't a problem. So it was money well spent. It was either that or charity... ha. Yes, such and such's review says that 2 6970 in crossfire will beat a 6990 by 1 fps, and be a tenner cheaper. But this is 2 6990, and I have never seen smoother gameplay. Ever. Nvidias yet to be released card may beat it, but the margin it might or might not beat it by will be miniscule. These cards are out, and nvidias arent. Did I mention that the performance is amazing?.

Conclusion: If you have the cash, go for it. If you don't have the cash, whinge at the people who do.

Duke out.

• Like 1

"Eject eject eject! Say goodbye, a**hole."

"Eject eject eject! Goodbye, a**hole!" :megalol:

i7 980x, Corsair H70, Asus Rampage 3 Extreme, 6Gb Corsair Dominator GT, 2x 6990 Crossfire, OCZ Vertex II 60Gb, 2x WD Caviar Black 1Tb, X-Fi Fatal1ty PCI, G19, Roccat Kone+, HOTAS Warthog, TrackIR 5 + Trackclip Pro

er... no... when you can show with numbers that 4 GPU's on those cards get 4x of 1 GPU will I say money well spent... untill then I will say this is perfect example of people with too much money spending on things they don't need and this is not money well spent.. and yes it would be lot better if you have so much money you don't know what to do with it to, you guessed it... give some to charity ;)

• Like 1

No longer active in DCS...

er... no... when you can show with numbers that 4 GPU's on those cards get 4x of 1 GPU will I say money well spent... untill then I will say this is perfect example of people with too much money spending on things they don't need and this is not money well spent.. and yes it would be lot better if you have so much money you don't know what to do with it to, you guessed it... give some to charity ;)

But chastising him on how to spend his own money makes you any better? Seriously, some people have the money to buy outlandish things, things they don't need, but they still can. Some buy cars, some buy houses, some buy property, and some buy computers. Sure, he probably could have done much better with his money, but why do you care? It's not your money, you didn't earn it. He did. Machinist envy is no reason to jump on someone because they made a purchase, or two, that you can't. I'll be honest, I'm jealous of his rig, but I'm not going to jump all over him and tell him how to spend his money. :noexpression:

My Specs:

Win 10 Pro 64bit/ i7 6770K 4.5Ghz/32GB DDR4/ GTX 1070 SC/Samsung SSD

Warthog Stick/TWCS Throttle/TrackIR 5

But chastising him on how to spend his own money makes you any better? Seriously, some people have the money to buy outlandish things, things they don't need, but they still can. Some buy cars, some buy houses, some buy property, and some buy computers. Sure, he probably could have done much better with his money, but why do you care? It's not your money, you didn't earn it. He did. Machinist envy is no reason to jump on someone because they made a purchase, or two, that you can't. I'll be honest, I'm jealous of his rig, but I'm not going to jump all over him and tell him how to spend his money. :noexpression:

Sorry, dude, but I think you are overreacting here. I've seen no indication that anyone thinks they are better because they don't think 'upgrading' to 2x 6990 is a wise decision.

$1500 is not that much money in today's economy. I rather doubt that most of the people posting here would be unable to make this purchase if they thought it worthwhile.

And don't you think we can critique another's system withou being accused of having 'machinest envy'?

erm... no, 1500$ is more than I earn in one month. Would never spend that much on GFX, mainly because it would dent my savings quite a bit for dubious benefit.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

each HD6990 is around $900 here in Australia... for two that's $1800... that is way too much money for something that is actually not beneficial in games because the benefit does not scale good with price paid. If he's flying this sim doesn't matter what CPU he uses and how much he overclocks it those 4 GPU's will not be working to its full use or even close to it as in every situation he will be either CPU limited or vsync limited (I doubt he'd have it off just to see 200fps)... so how can that be money well spent? If he was running 6 monitors and game did support multi GPU and all 4 cores were used he would still not get 4x the performance of 1x GPU. But anyway, you're right about one thing, its his thing where and how he spends his money.

PS: When I was looking to upgrade my PC few months ago I could afford to get i7 980x but I could just not justify to spend $1400-$1500 on that CPU when I could get $320 i7 950 and still get same clocks by overclocking. Yes you can overclock both but both chips are of same silicon and have same limitations

Edited by Kuky
  • Like 1

No longer active in DCS...

erm... no, 1500$ is more than I earn in one month. Would never spend that much on GFX, mainly because it would dent my savings quite a bit for dubious benefit.

I said 'most'. Obviouisly, some could not purchase this card even if they thought it might be a good upgrade simply because the funds to do so are not available to them.

Personally, I thinkit is a lousy way to try and pick up a few FPS. At least that is the impression I've received from reading several reviews of this card.

Dragon Age II maxed out runs flawlessly, fps through the roof, no stuttering, artifacts or noticeable loading occuring.

Same here. nVidia GTX560Ti at stock speed, full HD (with the second screen running Windows Aero), Hi-def texture pack installed, MSAA and AF running and with DirectX11 rendering. I have noted artefacts in one case only (the Qunari bosses armor pieces have some minor black spots in it, looks like a broken parallax map), but then again I'm using beta drivers at the moment.

What you SHOULD do with that setup is run folding@home. ;)

For anything else I am extremely curious to see what the results were if you ran some proper performance tests and then removed one of the cards. There might be applications where there might be a difference, but a difference that you as a human will notice? I doubt it.

EDIT: Btw, the thread title is mislead. It's not "dualcore". It's dual-processor. Each of those processors have something like 1500 cores - but the meaning of the word "core" is a bit different to what we are used to in the CPU world.

Edited by EtherealN
  • Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Also, you have to keep in mind that running a two GPU card is not the same as running two cards in a Crossfire, or SLI configuration. The link between the two GPU's in a dual GPU card is many times more efficient than that of Crossfire or SLI.

Besides that, Most of the reviews I have looked at for the card say that the card actually performs better for the price than many others out there. In contrast, I bought a 5870 about a year back, and it was ~$500 then. $700 more for a considerable increase in performance doesn't sound like too much of a ripoff to me.

If you aim for the sky, you will never hit the ground.

• 1 month later...