Jammer Question

ttaylor0024

CMS button. Not sure what its called. Theres CMS Up, Down, Left, Right, and the fifth is what you want. But in the real hog you would push it down. Down as in down, not down as in aft. Some would call it in i suppose. Its the same motion for a thumbstick click for a console controller.

wowie...sniped by not 1 person but two!

Edited by luckybob9
Sniped!!!
  • Like 1

Nevada map contributer

EDM Modeling tools FAQ:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1418067&postcount=1

Seo libh a chairde is chanadh liom. Líonaigí'n oíche le greann is le spórt. Seo sláinte na gcarad atá imithe uainn. Mar cheo an tsléibhe uaine, iad imithe go deo

• 11 months later...

Not sure if anyone mentioned. But you have to have the ALQ 131 Pod loaded to Jam!!!

You might find this useful. Note around time 14:35

Fish's Flight Sim Videos

[sIGPIC]I13700k, RTX4090, 64gb ram @ 3600, superUltraWide 5120x1440, 2560x1440, 1920x1080, Warthog, Tusba TQS, Reverb VR1000, Pico 4, Wifi6 router, 360/36 internet[/sIGPIC]

About the jammer, does it active by itself in semi mode, or manual push is required.

You need to enable it in Semi mode.

Also, is the burning out of the jammer modeled in DCS? IRL I think you do not keep the jammer on for longer than just a few seconds and then let it cool down.

No, to both your question and your presumption regarding reality.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

It's air cooled. If a radar doesn't burn out, why would a jammer?

Also, is the burning out of the jammer modeled in DCS? IRL I think you do not keep the jammer on for longer than just a few seconds and then let it cool down.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Ah my apologies then. I read somewhere on the forums from a few people that apparently you can't have it on for longer than 15 seconds or something, but it might be in reference to an internal jammer perhaps...

Is there any disadvantage to having the jammer operational at all times when engaged, or just when fired upon?

Lol, i did say when being engaged.

As in, is it more practical to turn on the jammer against a radar dish that has targeted you, or only after it has fired?

If it helps to keep you from being fired upon longer then it would be useful against an SA-10 site. I tried using Mavericks against the radar dish, the HUGE SCHOOL SIZED BUS, and the K's did not even want to lock on to it until 6nm (Which is a shame, i heard from a former A10 pilot that the Ks are more expensive because they can target things out further than the other Mavericks), so if it helps to jam to get me in closer, then its definitely useful to have it on prior to launch.

Ah my apologies then. I read somewhere on the forums from a few people that apparently you can't have it on for longer than 15 seconds or something, but it might be in reference to an internal jammer perhaps...

No, but here's the deal: SPJs (self protection jammers) are pretty delicate devices and a lot is demanded of them. They have extremely high power demands and run ridiculously hot. The AN/ALQ-135 ICMS system in the F-15 requires 90% of ECS cooling air to operate. As a result, these jammers tend to fail pretty often, and have short lives.

Reasonably, you can expect your jammer to last through a few sorties, but after a dozen or so, something somewhere is going to fail. Odds are low that the whole jammer will die (though it still happens), what's more likely is that you'll have various degrades: one of the amplifiers may fail, and you're going to lose protection to the aft. The system may respond too weakly or slowly, or have some sort of fault in the ATUs to properly protect from pulse-doppler radars. The pods are packed with amps of varying use - you may lose the low frequency amps and you can't protect against older radars, or you lose the oscillator that handles J or Ku-band and you're going to lose protection against newer radars.

None of this is modeled in the game though, but in reality running your jammer non-stop will almost certainly kill it. Someone was asking in another thread why you can't have it just run all the time, and the fact of the matter is that these things run so hot, the ram air and ECU in that pod cannot possibly sustain extended operations, and it's almost certain to overheat. If you're lucky, you can just reset it, but odds are you're going to break it.

Edited by Frostiken

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The realistic answer is forget engaging SA-10's with an A-10. Or any other MEDRAD or HIRAD.

Don't forget it, necessarily, just be very careful and use ground masking to make sure you get in range.

IP to Target Area

Green Dashed Line - Area where terrain masking was minimal. NOE flying required along with some masking from buildings at the AO

Red X - approximate location of weapons free on SA-11 battery

Tacview Video Capture of engagement.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/rCkU-09zE-Q

IPtoTarget2.jpg

Target Area

targetlocation.jpg

TacView video capture - AMCI file will be uploaded later.

Screenshots

SA-11%20Kill%201.jpg

SA-11%20Kill%204.jpg

SA-11%20Kill%205.jpg

SA-11%20Kill%207.jpg

SA-11%20Kill%209.jpg

Smasher in the weeds inbound to target masked by terrain.

SA-11%20Smasher%20001.jpg

Smasher weapons free

SA-11%20Smasher%20002.jpg

Smoke trail from the missle that almost got Smasher. Maybe the sim dudded it after it went through the hill, as it should have. It sure looks like it missed your tail by about 2 feet.

SA-11%20Smasher%20003.jpg

Mav inbound to SA-11 site

SA-11%20Smasher%20004.jpg

Buk TAR just kaboomed and Smasher's is about to kill the Buk

SA-11%20Smasher%20005.jpg

Edited by Turk10mm

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Recruiting open for A-10C and/or KA-50 Squadrons

http://www.firstfighterwing.com/forums/content.php

So where's the SHORAD part of the IADS that's covering that site?

There was none, as it wasn't ever intended to be a target just something to keep people within a certain area (and have more stuff on the RWR to confuse people). There is now. ;)

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Queue evil laughter ;)

There was none, as it wasn't ever intended to be a target just something to keep people within a certain area (and have more stuff on the RWR to confuse people). There is now. ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

For those few die-hard sim fanatics that would like to get a perspective on how it feels to be behind realistic controls of an early soviet sam systems should checkout free sam simulator

https://sites.google.com/site/samsimulator1972/home

Here's a discussion forum for sam sim as well.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3202301/1/SAM_Simulator.html

You don't need to tell me twice:

from 3:03

Excellent video. It gave me few laughs. But after playing sam simulator, dive towards ground only worked on early versions of SA-2. In later version it was possible to keep missile from doing it.