Easy Monitor Configurator

icemaker

Is there any where to find a guide or instructions on step by step how to use this cuz I can't get it to work right.

I feel like I'm missing a step, I place the export boxes on my 2nd monitor with helios, but the mfds are locked to the left and right corners of the main screen.

Are there more steps I need to do besides just placing the export boxes ?

intel i5 3570k @ 4.5 Ghz + Corsair H100 in push-pull / Asus Maximus V Formula mobo / 16Gb Gskill Ripjaw Z ddr3 1600 / evga 690 GTX 4gb / 1 TB WD caviar Black 7200 rpm sata HDD + 80GB Corsair F80 SSD + 2x Corsair 60Gb Force3 SSD / TM Warthog HOTAS-G940 Peddals / Corsair 1200 AX gold PSU / Windows 7 64 bit OS / 27" Qnix 2710 @ 2560 x 1440 120hz PLS Monitor & 23" acer touch screen with Helios/

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there any where to find a guide or instructions on step by step how to use this cuz I can't get it to work right.

I feel like I'm missing a step, I place the export boxes on my 2nd monitor with helios, but the mfds are locked to the left and right corners of the main screen.

Are there more steps I need to do besides just placing the export boxes ?

If you are playing in Game mode or with Game avionics enabled that would probably explain the MFDs. I don't think the EMC was designed to override those settings.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I will check that you maybe right, this is a brand new install I'm working with so that could be the culpret.

* nope that wasn't it, options are in sim mode not game mode.

Is there any configuaring with the monitor setup lua via notepad ? My monitor setup selection in the options is misssing 1camera choice even though the file is there in the folder.

Edited by Skoop

intel i5 3570k @ 4.5 Ghz + Corsair H100 in push-pull / Asus Maximus V Formula mobo / 16Gb Gskill Ripjaw Z ddr3 1600 / evga 690 GTX 4gb / 1 TB WD caviar Black 7200 rpm sata HDD + 80GB Corsair F80 SSD + 2x Corsair 60Gb Force3 SSD / TM Warthog HOTAS-G940 Peddals / Corsair 1200 AX gold PSU / Windows 7 64 bit OS / 27" Qnix 2710 @ 2560 x 1440 120hz PLS Monitor & 23" acer touch screen with Helios/

I will check that you maybe right, this is a brand new install I'm working with so that could be the culpret.

* nope that wasn't it, options are in sim mode not game mode.

Is there any configuaring with the monitor setup lua via notepad ? My monitor setup selection in the options is misssing 1camera choice even though the file is there in the folder.

You should not need to edit anything manually. The one camera lua may not show up in EMC just to keep someone from accidentally trashing it. I have used the new EMC only a couple of times and never looked to see what was in the pulldown list since my intent was to create a new config.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I think I figuared out where I went wrong by watching PeterP's video on the last page. I was suppose to start with the new button which makes a custom lua monitor setup. I was creating the monitor setup on the 1camera lua which might have caused problems.

Anyone have a download of the default monitor setup preset lua files so I can start over from scratch ?

Wait one minute.

Here you go.

And yes, creating a new file is what you want to do. Modifying would be for later when you change your Helios config. Leaving the 1 camera lua alone is always best. ;)

monitor luas.zip

Edited by cichlidfan

^ thanks man.

So I started over from the new button, and I still can't get anything exported to the EMC boxes on my second monitor.

The 2nd monitor is an acer 23" touchscreen at 1900x1080 that I have running in a verticle setup with a 28" hannnsg at 1900X1200 for a total res of 1900x2280

The touchscreen itself is configuared and works well with a BMS helios setup.

I must be missing something still, so I will continue to monitor this thread and see what develops.

I actually have not watched PeterP's video but you might want to give it another look as well in case you overlooked something.

When I used it, I just dragged to viewport boxes over to my second screen and when I was happy I hit save. You did hit save...right? The lua was in the pulldown list and worked just fine.

• Like 1

Ok, I figuared out what I was doing wrong, I was trying to run dcs only on my main screen at 1900x1200 and nothing on my touchscreen but helios. This is how I run my BMS setup and thats what was confusing me.

I had to switch the in game res to draw to the full monitor res of 1900x2280 and now the EMC boxes are populating with exported views....all is good now, off to continue with helios setup....rep inbound.

Glad you got it figured out.

I have never tried Helios with BMS or I might have guessed your problem. I just assumed you knew you needed your resolution set that way in game. One of the few things EMC doesn't take care of for you.

Have fun!

First : Thanks to cichlidfan for the great support!

Sorry, No manual right now - I will start to write a "First-Run/Quick-start tutorial tomorrow and over the weekend that should help everyone out with the most common problems.

Edited by PeterP

If I uninstall the standalone a10 and remove registry entries will it make emc look for world install ?..

AMD A8-5600K @ 4GHz, Radeon 7970 6Gig, 16 Gig Ram, Win 10 , 250 gig SSD, 40" Screen + 22 inch below, Track Ir, TMWH, Saitek combat pedals & a loose nut behind the stick :thumbup:

First, THANK YOU Icemaker for your time and effort!! a much needed tool indeed!

Now, sorry for the silly question, but there are plenty of other instruments I would like to export, is it possible using this utility, and not Helios?

Helios got me confused...this utility is way more intuitive for me...

Thanks!

Callsign   SETUP

Now, sorry for the silly question, but there are plenty of other instruments I would like to export, is it possible using this utility, and not Helios?

Helios got me confused...this utility is way more intuitive for me...

Thanks!

EMC includes all of the exports that are possible within DCS. If you are trying to export actual instruments like the ADI or other gauges then Helios is really the only viable option.

The best way to learn Helios is to download a working profile and reverse engineer it to see how things work. Gauges are just drag and drop though so it could not be much simpler. There is also a good video intro to Helios on YouTube. I will try and find the link.

Here: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1601397&postcount=1

Edited by cichlidfan

This happens when you have a commented/unexpected "Monitorsetup.lua" running/stored in DCS while activating EMC. .

This can be the naming of a export or you are using a expression instead numbers...-- please post this Monoitorsetup.lua that was active during the failure , so we can have a look what caused it and track the failures for possible fixes.

Workaround: Load a DCS default profile like "1 Screen" and run EMC again - now the failure should be gone, and don't use previous customized profiles with EMC again.

Edited by PeterP

I was using default profile "1 Screen" when I launched the .exe

_ = function(p) return p; end;

name = _('1 Screen');

Description = 'One monitor configuration'

Viewports =

{

Center =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = screen.width;

height = screen.height;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = screen.aspect;

}

}

And an added bit of info, I was not running DCS when I went to run the .exe...

Is your screeshot from your EMC folder?

If yes the folder background and files are missing so it explains why EMC crashes on start.

I will create a new installer that copy all the files that EMC needs to work, because some people messed EMC installation with the current installer.

I will create a video which explains step by step how to create a new profile with EMC.

NEVER USE DCS DEFAULT MONITOR FILES WITH EMC. CREATE A NEW PROFILE.

Edited by icemaker

Thank you very much for this! I'm brand new to DCS and A-10, and I used this to put my MFCDs on a separate monitor. I'm not sure I would have had the fortitude to get this working the manual way. :)

I did hit a few snags, mostly things that will be fixed when some documentation is included:

- I had looked through the docs of the manual way of setting up multimonitor, and read about changing your screen resolution to encompass all the monitors you're using. It wasn't clear to me whether this still had to be done separately, or you do this within EMC. (EMC does not do this, you still do it separately)

- Whenever I tried to save a new profile, I would get an "Unable to find..." error message. After several tries, I decided to try to run EMC as administrator. That fixed it!. I'm on Windows 7.

- It seems really easy to accidentally make changes to your 1Camera.lua if you don't know what you're doing (e.g. me). Maybe there's some way the program could prevent this, or at least have a confirmation dialog box pop up.

- After I was finally able save the profile, I'd run the game but nothing would appear on my second monitor. I double-checked everything a couple times, but everything looked OK. Finally, after clicking around in EMC, a message popped up that said something to effect of "We need to install A-10 specific lua files. Do you want to do that now?" I clicked yes, then ran the game, and behold there were my MFCDs on my second monitor!

I remember seeing that message the first time I had opened EMC and was clicking around. At that time I had anwered No, because I was just sort of looking around. Then on the SEVERAL times after that when I was really trying to create a new config, I don't remember seeing that message again until the final time. The only thing I can think of that I may have done differently that last time (and possibly the very first time) was I had clicked on the Misc tab in EMC and looked around a bit and then clicked to go back to the A-10 tab. That may be the point where the message popped up. The other times in between I may very well have just stayed on the A-10 tab the whole time, then clicked Save, and exited EMC. (I may be completely off track here with the sequence of events.)

Sorry if these issues have been discussed somewhere. I did try to look through the forum posts, but I didn't find anything related, and I did eventually get everything sorted out.

Thanks again for making this!

Edited by scrapple

The screenshot was from my EMC folder. I took note of what you mentioned and cleaned out the folder and started new. Extracted the file and launched the setup. The folders that you mentioned previously showed up, but I still get the same error.

I'm going to standby and wait to look at your tutorial video. Thanks for your help with this guys.

Update

changelog:

Some bugfixes

Added Quick start guide (made by PeterP, many thanks to him again ;))

Use an installer to avoid some troubles and create shortcuts that go.

Updated files on Userfiles and C6

Waiting for file validation...

Edited by icemaker

I tried but on the Ka-50 the ABRIS appeared on the main screen despite not ticking the "don't render MFCDs and ABRIS/SHKVSL in 3D Cockpit.

So you "tried" (what exactly?) and you didn't "ticking the "don't render MFCDs and ABRIS/SHKVSL in 3D Cockpit." - and the Abris still appeared. - thas sounds right to me.

It should appear when you didn't ticked to switch it off.

...Please read both sentences above again to realise what Info we have now to give you a helping hand.

For me everything looks fine and I can't even see a problem.

Please rephrase your your post again and ad some screen-shots and the profile that was in use.

And keep in mind that no-one of us is able to 'look over your shoulder' ;)