Question on Head Tracking, i.e. Track IR and freetrack

I know Track IR has great rep. I have a question on it and the Freetrack that.

On the Track IR, I notice they're up to version 6.0 Is there a reason to get the latest and greatest or would I be amply served by an older and most likely cheaper model?

I also have heard of Freetrack (I believe that was it, the free one that uses a webcam) via Arma forums. How does that fair with this game?

If anyone has any experience with a head-tracker other than Track IR or Freetrack.. I'd welcome that info.. thanks

I replied to your other thread.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ASUS M4A785D-M Pro | XFX 650W XXX | AMD Phenom II X4 B55 Black Edition 3.2ghz | 4GB Corsair XMS2 DHX 800mhz | XFX HD 5770 1GB @ 850/1200 | Windows 7 64bit | Logitech G35 | Logitech Mx518 | TrackIR 4

My TrackIR Profile ( Speed 1.2 / Smooth 30 ) - Right click & save as.

From what I know about FreeTrack is that the quality of the head tracking is down to how good your webcam is and also how good your makeshift clip is. I can't see a reason why it wouldn't work with DCS.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ASUS M4A785D-M Pro | XFX 650W XXX | AMD Phenom II X4 B55 Black Edition 3.2ghz | 4GB Corsair XMS2 DHX 800mhz | XFX HD 5770 1GB @ 850/1200 | Windows 7 64bit | Logitech G35 | Logitech Mx518 | TrackIR 4

My TrackIR Profile ( Speed 1.2 / Smooth 30 ) - Right click & save as.

I know Track IR has great rep. I have a question on it and the Freetrack that.

On the Track IR, I notice they're up to version 6.0 Is there a reason to get the latest and greatest or would I be amply served by an older and most likely cheaper model?

I also have heard of Freetrack (I believe that was it, the free one that uses a webcam) via Arma forums. How does that fair with this game?

If anyone has any experience with a head-tracker other than Track IR or Freetrack.. I'd welcome that info.. thanks

Have a look in the original thread... and don't "move" threads yourself...moving targets -> difficult to track :megalol:

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

if you want to try something else, have a look for FacetrackNoIR. I does not use a headset but tracks your actual face. It uses a bit of RAM and CPU and I struggle a bit as I wear glasses but its still quite impressive and coming along at a good speed.

______________________________________________________________________________________

AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.4 Ghz | 8GB DDR3 Dual Channel | Ati HD4850 XFX | 22" Samsung TFT & NEC 17" touchscreen

Wiimote? Do you have to break down a Wii remote or something?

No, you just connect it with a Bluetooth adapter (if your computer don't have one already) and point it to your head just like the TrackIR camera.

If you can get a Wii remote for cheap (just make sure it is a original one and not a knockoff) or already have a Wii, then it is a great cheap alternative to a TrackIR (very rare and expensive where i live).

I never used a TrackIR to be able to compare with a Wiimote+Freetrack but from videos there's not much difference in what you can do, althrough TrackIR seems quite more "smooth", or maybe it's because i prefer to use as little smoothing as possible to have it snappier. Biggest problem right now is it's only compatible with 32bits DCS exe via a "fixer" (info here).

If you are short on money and still saving to buy other things like pedals,MFD, touchscreen, etc... then i will say go with Freetrack+Wiiremote.

If you have the money go with TrackIR.

AMD Athlon II X2 240 2.8@3360 MHz | MB Asus M4A78-EM | 4GB DDR2-800 Kingston | XFX HD 5770 @850-900/1200-1300 | 500G Samsung HD502HI | Case CM 335 | CM-EPP 460W | Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit) | Saitek X65F | Freetrack(Wii Remote) | LG 23' W2353V

Here's a link to a youtube video you may find helpful

It's a TrackIR 5 preview for Arma 2, but starting at about 1:40 there are comparisons to older versions of the hardware and software.

ASUS P8P67 | Intel i7 2700k @ 4.8ghz | 8gb Corsair DOMINATOR | x2 GTX 580 SLI | TIR5 | Win7 Ultimate | 90GB SSD | TM Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Pedals

• 1 month later...

Instead of a WiiMote, you could also use a Playstation Eye.

It runs at 75FPS at 640x480, and 125 FPS at half the other resolution.

I have the following setup:

TrackClip Pro

Playstation Eye (the "old" model), with IR filter removed and piece of floppy installed

And a Playstation Eye Clip

The downside to FreeTrack is that it doesn't have a 64bit version, so you're stuck with the 32bit version of the simulator you're running as well. DCS A-10C uses a lot of memory, so this could be a deal breaker.

I'm using TrackIR3 and have for many years. Works fine with a variety of games and runs the later software. I don't know how the newer models could be better.

Cheers,

Noel.

W7 64-bit, Core i7 920 @3.4 GHz, TR120 Ultra, 6 GB DDR3 RAM, EVGA x58 MoBo, EVGA GTX570 SC, Torqx 256 GB SSD, Seasonic S12650W PSU, Dell 30" LCD @ 2560 x 1600, TrackIR5, CH pedals, TM Hotas Warthog

By being much more precice, a lot smoother, and offering a greater range of positioning for your head.

I'm using TrackIR3 and have for many years. Works fine with a variety of games and runs the later software. I don't know how the newer models could be better.

Cheers,

Noel.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

By being much more precice, a lot smoother, and offering a greater range of positioning for your head.

Is the difference enough to justify ditching the old version and buying the new one?

Cheers,

Noel.

W7 64-bit, Core i7 920 @3.4 GHz, TR120 Ultra, 6 GB DDR3 RAM, EVGA x58 MoBo, EVGA GTX570 SC, Torqx 256 GB SSD, Seasonic S12650W PSU, Dell 30" LCD @ 2560 x 1600, TrackIR5, CH pedals, TM Hotas Warthog

Here's a link to a youtube video you may find helpful

It's a TrackIR 5 preview for Arma 2, but starting at about 1:40 there are comparisons to older versions of the hardware and software.

Gat-dam Arma2 is stunning. Too bad my PC is not set up for anything but A10. If Bohemia's upcoming Helo offering has any fidelity, it's gong to be very nice indeed.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

From what I hear, very much so. But in the end that'll be up to you.

Is the difference enough to justify ditching the old version and buying the new one?

Cheers,

Noel.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Freetrack + PPJoy works with A10C 64Bit:

I've never been able to get it to work at all :(

______________________________________________________________________________________

AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.4 Ghz | 8GB DDR3 Dual Channel | Ati HD4850 XFX | 22" Samsung TFT & NEC 17" touchscreen

remember that you have to modify the trackir files with trackir-fixer in newer games to make freetrack work.newer games use an encoded trackir interface to keep solutions like freetrack and even their own old systems out.FC2 has it so i think A-10 will have it too.after the fix my freetrack worked fine with black shark and FC2.i´m using a ps3eye and it works very well with both of them.downside of the wiimote is that you have to charge the batteries while the ps3eye is usb powered.

fixd

Edited by Mist3ri0

If you go the WiiMote route, beware that not all bluetooth dongle software works with the Wiimote properly. I had a webcam before but liked the idea of the lower cpu usage. I got a cheap but genuine wiimote from flea-bay. I already had a bluetooth adapter but it did not work with it. I purchased 2 further dongles before I found one that worked.

TBH the difference was not really worth it. Plus you have to make some kind of stand for it (I used an old camera tripod). And of course batteries, and linking the Bluetooth up everytime you want to use it.

I have recently been reading about the PS3 eye. It seems to have the high frequency required for smooth movement, and has a USB connector. It seems to require a bit of jiggery-pokery with drivers but seems like a much simpler setup. I have not tried it yet so can not offer any advice..... yet!

i´m using a ps3eye and it works very well with both of them.downside of the wiimote is that you have to charge the batteries while the ps3eye is usb powered.

How is your experience with the PS3 Eye? Is it much better that normal webcam? I'm very close to getting one.

remember that you have to "crack" the trackir files with trackir-fixer in newer games to make freetrack work.

When i use ppjoy+freetrack, i dont have to crack DCS. I only must assign the axes of the virtual "freetrack-joystick" in DCS options.

I have recently been reading about the PS3 eye. It seems to have the high frequency required for smooth movement, and has a USB connector. It seems to require a bit of jiggery-pokery with drivers but seems like a much simpler setup. I have not tried it yet so can not offer any advice..... yet!

I use Track Clip Pro and a MS VX-3000 webcam (removed IR-filter). Only 30 fps but it works fine.