Mavericks and ground stabilizing

ScorpionFalcon

So I'm trying to figure out why slewing causes the ground stabilizing to cancel? It is so hard to lock up targets, I find myself unable to keep the plane steady enough to effectively slew to a target. I used to play Falcon Allied Force, and when you ground stabilize, you can still slew around and it will stay ground stabilized. Help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think this is avoidable. The best thing to do is to use the targeting pod to acquire a target, make it your SPI (TMS up long) and then slave your Maverick to the SPI (China hat forward long). Once this is done, you don't have to slew anymore to get a lock since you can press TMS up short to have the Maverick lock onto the target.

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

I don't think this is avoidable. The best thing to do is to use the targeting pod to acquire a target, make it your SPI (TMS up long) and then slave your Maverick to the SPI (China hat forward long). Once this is done, you don't have to slew anymore to get a lock since you can press TMS up short to have the Maverick lock onto the target.

Although this procedure works great with the DCS Sim, I wonder if pilots would actually do this in real-world combat? With the sim you can acquire targets with the tracking pod that the slaved Maverick's camera barely even registers (even though it will still lock on to, however.) In a sense, you're almost firing blind because the slaved Maverick is tracking a target you can barely make out on the Maverick's camera display in the MFCD. In real life you wouldn't be able to make absolutely sure the locked target in the tracking pod and the Maverick's camera are both looking at the same thing - even though they SHOULD be. Does this make any sense? :cry:

Thanks for the tip with the TGP.

Since now i used the AP with Path-Hold.

MB: Intel DX79TO; Core i7 3820 (3,6 ghz); SPU: Asus Xonar D2X; GPU: AMD XFX 7970 BE OC (3GB); RAM: Kingston 8 GB DDR3-1333 Quad-Kit; HHDs: G.Skill Phoenix SSD (for OS&DCS), WD 1 TB + WD 160GB; PSU: be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 550W; Display: EIZO Foris 2333-BK; OS: WIN8 Pro 64bit (latest updates); TM HOTAS Warthog; CH Rudder pedals; Cougar MFDs; iPad Mini with iControl DCS; TrackIR4 + TrackClipPro.

A10 startup procedure -->

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

In a sense, you're almost firing blind because the slaved Maverick is tracking a target you can barely make out on the Maverick's camera display in the MFCD. In real life you wouldn't be able to make absolutely sure the locked target in the tracking pod and the Maverick's camera are both looking at the same thing - even though they SHOULD be. Does this make any sense? :cry:

Depends on situation:

If you have scattered targets, you can be sure you have the right target, by comparing the surrounding of where the target is.

In a combat rich environment where you have more target close to each other, you can't be sure. More than that, the mav won't lock the target you chose in TGP, but the one that stands out for the seeker. To be sure that it is the right target, you can only get close enough for identification.

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, MSI MEG X570 UNIFY (AM4, AMD X570, ATX), Noctua NH-DH14, EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti XC3 ULTRA, Seasonic Focus PX (850W), Kingston HyperX 240GB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1000GB, M.2 2280), 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16, Cooler Master 932 HAF, Samsung Odyssey G5; 34", Win 10 X64 Pro, Track IR, TM Warthog, TM MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudders

Depends on situation:

If you have scattered targets, you can be sure you have the right target, by comparing the surrounding of where the target is.

In a combat rich environment where you have more target close to each other, you can't be sure. More than that, the mav won't lock the target you chose in TGP, but the one that stands out for the seeker. To be sure that it is the right target, you can only get close enough for identification.

Good info, thank you.

Someone help me out here... what is the keyboard equiv to the HOTAS input for "Slave all to SPI" for those of us without the HOTAS setup?

Keep the V key depressed for a second.

Also, is it possible to REMOVE a designated SPI after setting it?

Thanks all!

Unless you have a catastrophic failure of your avionics you always have a SPI; if you want to reset the SPI back to its default (which is your steerpoint) press TMS Aft Long (i.e. Left Control + Down Arrow for a second).

Unless you have a catastrophic failure of your avionics you always have a SPI

CDU failure would result in no default SPI.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Keep the V key depressed for a second.

Unless you have a catastrophic failure of your avionics you always have a SPI; if you want to reset the SPI back to its default (which is your steerpoint) press TMS Aft Long (i.e. Left Control + Down Arrow for a second).

I'm terrible with keyboard shortcuts.

You can never not have a SPI. The default is sourced from the STPT location. If you set it to TDC/TGP/IFFCC/etc. and want it back to the default it's TMS Aft Long.

Thanks guys, thats what I was looking for actually. I would designate TGP as SPI and then have trouble finding my steerpoint afterwards.