A/G radar mode needed for CCRP?

That's the idea.

I think there is a way to enter target altitude though, which you would know from a handy dandy map.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

By it's nature CCRP mode on the F-16 is the preplanned weapons delivery mode. The coords of the target must be entered during mission planning phase. And it is managed by FCC (of by MMC at CCIP'ed F-16) as the "special purpose" waypoint in the same manner as VRP, VIP, HARM target etc. As the secondary option on F-16 it is possible to assign the point via GM radar mode in flight.

CCRP mode at A-10/Su-27/MiG-29 is an immediate mode. It differs from F-16 CCRP as you can to assign the target visually via HUD. At F-16 HUD TD box is slaved to MFD radar cursor.

The "immediate" mode in an F16 wouldn`t be DTOS? (uses AGR mode for ranging and could be designated through the HUD)

CCRP of course is a pre-planned method and uses ground radar. Also in Block

50s there is also a passive mode that uses digital map with GPS updates (and pilot updates). For any XY position - there is known elevation.

Dice, what I had asked was if the the forward 'slices' of altitude radar you had mentioned are the one which are also used for the Ground Collision Avoidance System which is part of LASTE?

GCAS is a fuction of AOA, airspeed, and altitude, all of these change from second to second so the "slice" of radar altimeter used for this fuction also changes second to second.

Ugly but well hung!

So if the target is on significantly different height terrain from that directly under the a/c ... it will not work correctly?

For static targets the altiude can be imputed by the pilots using maps (like GGTharos said) or can be downloaded from GPS data. Moving targets with changing terrain are the ones that can cause problem with CCRP mode, they handle this by changing to a different mode like CCIP.

Ugly but well hung!

• ED Team
The "immediate" mode in an F16 wouldn`t be DTOS? (uses AGR mode for ranging and could be designated through the HUD)

Yes you are right. DIVE TOSS mode is more close to A-10A CCRP.

Also in Block

50s there is also a passive mode that uses digital map with GPS updates (and pilot updates). For any XY position - there is known elevation.

Would be nice to know something more about this mode...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

К чему стадам дары свободы?

Их должно резать или стричь.

Наследство их из рода в роды

Ярмо с гремушками да бич.

• ED Team

CCRP mode on Su-27 and MiG-29 is fully equal by it's functionality to CCIP mode with time delay/solution cues (when the actual impact point is outside HUD FOV) on F-16.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

К чему стадам дары свободы?

Их должно резать или стричь.

Наследство их из рода в роды

Ярмо с гремушками да бич.

CCRP mode on Su-27 and MiG-29 is fully equal by it's functionality to CCIP mode with solution cue (when the actual impact point is outside HUD FOV) on F-16.

I guess this is indeed the case: it's the so-called "delayed CCIP" mode in the F-16.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Would be nice to know something more about this mode...

It is actually a backup mode with quite a few limitations - ranging (about 5nm - has something to do with the map (?) and airspeed - below 800 knots

(well, that`s not a problem :) ) ... other then that, I don`t know much

about it.

Is there any way in which the A-10A e.g. uses its Pave Penny laser tracking system to obtain targetting from ground-based FAC laser illumination for CCRP bombing?

Since it only very recently uses LGB's in conjunction with a Litening pod and to my knowledge does not use laser-guided Mavs, I guess the pave penny was meant to add precision to free fall bombs?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is there any way in which the A-10A e.g. uses its Pave Penny laser tracking system to obtain targetting from ground-based FAC laser illumination for CCRP bombing?

Since it only very recently uses LGB's in conjunction with a Litening pod and to my knowledge does not use laser-guided Mavs, I guess the pave penny was meant to add precision to free fall bombs?

Pave Penny is a receiver only and gets no other info than the location of the target. The PP system has nothing to do with guideing any type of weapon to the target.

You can use the PP marker in the HUD to slew the TDB over the target and desinate it but, then you are right back into the stadard CCRP mode like we've talked about before.

• Like 1

Ugly but well hung!

So basically Pave Penny is only showing a ground-illuminated target on your hud, like the miraculous (but helpful!) little diamond Lockon shows over a preplanned target.

Ding ding!

Somewhere, there's a picture of a gnome holding a laser pointer - these guys are supposed to be lurking in hedges all over the Crimea to point out targets for you.

S'true!