1.11 Patch - BVR Improvments

By comparison the AAM is already at altitude and speed when launched, in some manner of speaking, and in general doesn't have to accomplish any hard climbing.

Agreed SAMs climb alot ... but AAMs don't always start high - you can launch from low-to-high alt as well :) And certainly AIM-54 climbs alot!

Agreed few modern SAMs are 2 stage (ASTER being one if my memory is correct), but previously nearly all medium range SAMs had boosters that dropped off ... hence reducing the interia of the system but reducing the drag ...

Surely (my physics is VERY rusty, never included aerodynamics and I'm going from memory) ... G is proportional to mass? Isn't g = G (m x m)/r2 ... so a small item will have less g 'pulling' it back down, and less drag slowing it down (because less mass usually means less surface area), and, as has been stated before, more mass means you suffer more when you turn!

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, you can launch an AAM low to high - it doesn't mean you should - your range is cut down to 1/3 or 1/4 of your normal range if you do this. SAMs get away with this by using their booster.

And yes, that booster is big, heavy and draggy, so it makes sense to throw it away.

About g: No, it'll have the same amount of 'g', but more force. G isn't dependent on mass, but the force it generates it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Wags, anymore news or progress on the patch testing?

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.