Bulldozer time!

Just finished reading the techreport review of AMD's new processor: http://techreport.com/articles.x/21813

Very interesting results, but I'm largely pretty disappointed. AMD CPU's have always had a place in my heart from the days of the Athlon "revolution", but... :/

Can't say I was surprised though. Enough information on the architecture was out there that I'd have expected pretty much that picture, but there are cases where I feel it should have performed better than it did. Some of those results are just shocking.

Will be interesting to see how that picture might change when/if software is re-engineered to truly take advantage of it's innovations, but for now I'm not impressed.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

AMD? Didn't they make processors for computers once upon a time? I thought they gave up and shut up shop years ago. :pilotfly:

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

I have asked Ryan at Pcper.com to include DCS software in his review of the Bulldozer series. If anyone here wants to contribute to that work with some predifined software ED may have .....please contact them at PCper.com

thanks

Asus P8Z68-V GEN3/ 2500k 4.4ghz / Corsair 64gb SSD Cache / Corsair 8g 1600 ddr3 / 2 x 320gb RE3 Raid 0 /Corsair 950w/ Zotac 560TI AMP 1gb / Zalman GS1200 case /G940/

I have asked Ryan at Pcper.com to include DCS software in his review of the Bulldozer series. If anyone here wants to contribute to that work with some predifined software ED may have .....please contact them at PCper.com

thanks

It should be farely easy to do actually, no special settings needed: just make sure to have a busy track with lots of action. I would, however, definitely recommend that they start the track, let it run, ignore the result, and then run it again with FRAPS tracking the frametimes. Depending on windows caching and swapping, this may help remove HDD access bottlenecks from polluting the results. (Obviously, an alternative is to just have extreme drive access speeds - i.e performance SSD's.)

If they need to get a copy of the software for use, I'm sure they can contact Jim about that and hopefully he'll be able to help them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

AMD? who do you think makes the Radeon cards nowadays? they are very alive and in business :)

Well, technically they don't make the cards. :P They do create a reference design, but most performance card vendors end up making custom PCB's that just use the AMD-designed GPU. (I know I know, colloquially they make the cards, but I love being the nitpicker whenever I'm bored and haven't slept. :P )

But I think you largely missed out at observing Eddie's sarcasm. :P

Edited by EtherealN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Its rather difficult to optimize software for a particular CPU and one that is not even market leader.

This AMD is good for low budget renderers and highly multitaked environments, but for the large majority it is a FLOP.

It is slower than a I5 2500K for anything under 5-6 threads.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P