NVG ANVS-9 more REAL...

Quick question :)

How do you get from this -

ee1ab9a4.jpg

to this -

9fca023a.jpg

Where does the thick black band come from?

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is a Directx overlay that I have programmed to key-press "H" - "H" will turn on the Head-mounted devices in BlackShark by default - the monocle and the NVG - depend which you have ordered from the ground-crew.

The "testimage" is not a contend of the texture of the monocle. again: it only shares the same key-press.

Edited by PeterP

In other words, will one then still get the black band as an unfortunate 'side-effect' of the NVG mod?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In other words, will one then still get the black band as an unfortunate 'side-effect' of the NVG mod?

if you want to say that you think that this band is a bug and not realistic - please start reading here:http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1308590#post1308590

In short:

- this is how I want it- because it matches the experience I have when I use binos in real-life.

And if you want to know if this "mask" will be still there when I only use the monocle:

No! -it can be completely switched off on the fly - and only implemented when you use the NVG.

Edited by PeterP

And if you want to know if this "mask" will be still there when I only use the monocle:

No it can be completely switched of on the fly - and only implemented when you use the NVG.

Yep - that's what I wanted to ascertain.

It does not take a rocket scientist to realise that the black band around the monocle of the HMS does not belong there. As such I would have loved to install your NVG mod in the Shark, but only if I did not end up with the attendant raccoon HMS Mod halfway through my flight when the sun finally rose. As you explained, it seems that I do not have to worry after all.

Jolly Good :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

question @ paulrkiii, giaco1 and all others out there that have actually used the ANVS-9

can you tell me how many degrees of your view is blocked when wearing them - and which form of the mask is more realistic - please comment on these pictures (1:/2:/3: ) or make your own example to tell me how it should look:

1:

binocular5fli.jpg

2:

ANVS9Mask.jpg

It is very important to know it before I start working on different versions for different aspect-ratios,

because when it is wrong - and other are complaining.... I don't have to edit every single aspect-ratio again..and again.... ;)(right now this modification works only with 16:9)

Taped already two tubes together that fit the size of the real goggles:

anvis9.jpg

and will tape them with a strong wire to my headset at home to see what I will not see when wearing them (:) )... but I would really like to hear your opinion.

Edit:

I think I nailed it fairly well down - and made also a drawing that reflects my observation - the mask must have a similar shape like on this image:

3:

NVG-FOV-1.jpg

Edited by PeterP

hi PeterP, your modification is very impressive, more more more reallife, for me the image that is more similar to real life is the 2nd one, but i will fly tomorrow night with my anvs-9, and i'll make my attention to the fov of anvis 9. I will make a photo with a camera close to te tube like a human eyes, and i post here tomorrow.

Thx for your outstanding work!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[...]

Ad 3: Consider that the focal point of the green area may be wrong. It probably lies somewhere inside the device. The light rays don't pass straight through the device, therefore the green area in the top right depiction is probably too small (the eye has a convex lens too, which focuses the rays on the back end of the eye, not on it's front).

Edited by sobek

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

I'm a mathematician - not a Doctor!:D

But even If you are right/I'm wrong - the masking area that I roughly scribbled would be proportional/smaller greater with the FOV of the "NVG-Window" when you move the focal point.

That's where giaco1 comes into play to tell us the next 48 hours the true dimensions.

off topic:

"One apple a day keeps the doctor away-

... two bottles of wine and I feel fine!"

@giaco1

Don't thank me -I have to thank you!

Edit:

But to be honest - we can discuss on FOV how much we want - until this NVG overlay can't be bound inside the 3D rendering - means: that the NVG is a real 3D object - there will be only a right image when you use a defined FOV and don't use the zoom command any-more -

...and this is different on different screens -

...and it has to change the size accordantly to your zoom/FOV factor to be always represent 40° (or whatever is right..depend also highly how many mm it is away from your eyes...)

The only thing that we can nail down here - and use in-game is :

how big the blocked area is in relation to the actual NVG image.

Edited by PeterP

Today, i spent a lot of time in my squadron equipment room with my helmets and the ANVS-9. The result is this one:

The modification of PeterP on Blackshark video is impressive, is exactly what i see in my NVGs. This morning i carefully paid attention to NVG FOV. I wore my helmets with the NVG and focalising on what i could and couldn't see.

I noticed that i can't see the upper portion at all (due to "baseball cup effect"), which is hidden by my helmet and by the structure of the NVG. On the contrary, I can clearly see everythings on right left and down side of the tube. Imagining the FOV as a clock, i can't see anythings from 11 oclock to 1 oclock.

Another interesting aspect is the ovalized sight: if i focus on the inner part of the tubes my sight is a little bit ovalized, on the contrary, if i look far away (as i normally do), i canonly see a unique circular tube, as i previsouly said.

Thank you all, expecially PeterP for awesome work with the game modification.

IMG_1633.jpg.4f596fc3ba21e4fdacd239adb2e1e34f.jpg

IMG_1635.jpg.39ecf7762ad03d8fc847bd99c7074033.jpg

visual.jpg.da4aec5a1a4e49c79cf7acf2212cda1c.jpg

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think this is a great MOD

One thing people need to remember is this: we can only move our heads ingame. We cannot move the eyes of our character. That simple fact means that every test (like the pics from giaco1 above) should be performed as a static eye test, not dynamic.

Well it might happen it might not and this is, as far as I can tell only for the boots on the ground at the moment and is not issued .....yet. I think it's quite interesting if you haven't seen it already:

What sort of FOV that would give I don't know but hell it would be fun to use.

Link to here: http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2011/10/11/potw-blue-force-gear-puts-the-man-in-mannequin-at-ausa/#more

QuadNVG

Just thought I would share ;)

101111od_ausa11072.jpg.e28dbd72996a64fcb19c2ffceda39c26.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] AEF Flesh | 161 SQN

System: 965BE / 5850 Toxic / TrackIR 5 Pro / 120gb Corsair Force 3 GT / 2TB Raid10 / 6GB RAM /TM HOTAS Warthog / G13 / Combat Rudder Pedals..... and lots more :doh:

What sort of FOV that would give I don't know....

100⁰ (30/40/30) x 40⁰ FOV.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm a mathematician - not a Doctor!:D

But even If you are right/I'm wrong - the masking area that I roughly scribbled would be proportional/smaller greater with the FOV of the "NVG-Window" when you move the focal point.

Well, i guess i should have made myself more clear. Essentially, if you look at the NVG as a black box, you still have 2 different focal points to consider, not just one. That of the lens that's opposite of the eye, which determines the field of view that is projected to the eye and the focal point of the lens at the eye, which determines, among other things, the diameter of the 'image' relative to the diameter of the aperture.

I hope it is a little easier to understand what i meant. :) The pictures of the real NVG ilustrate it quite well.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Thank you giaco1! (cant give you +rep any more - so: can someone else do it for me?! ;) )

According to your info I edited a new mask that fits the shape of this picture:

IMG_1635.jpg

I will include in the Mod two different versions:

One that will cover the whole screen (suitable for people with a small screen/resolution) - example for 16:9 :

Mask-16_9smallFOV.png

And one that matches this "calculation":

visual.jpg

And is matching also the default NVG image in vertical FOV that we have right now in the A-10

Default:

orginal16_9.png

This will look like this for 16:9 and is intended for people with a great vertical FOV and high resolution. - this will give you also the "look down" ability. :

Mask-16_9greatFOV.png

One sentence about broken photo-cathodes:

... as much I liked the idea in the first place... After thinking about it further I would like to drop the idea.. because to see it as it is right now in the mod - it has to be broken at the exact same place on both tubes! - when it is broken on one tube - the both images are blend together and you would hardly notice a broken photo-cathode at all... until you have the exact same damage at both tubes - comprende amigos ?!

;)

But back to the Mod:

I have the overlay working in the 32bit versions- but I don't get it working in 64bit for fullscreen.

So once again (up to now I got no reply...):

Hi Folks - what you see in the video is actual in-game-capture of DCS-BS in Win7-64bit !! ( again: this is not edited!)

Before I will tell "how to" I need some volunteers that will test for unseen bugs -and maybe help me out to streamline the installation

processes.

There will be still a different "Mask" for different aspect-ratio needed.

- but please hold your horses(!).

I'm still not able to do this in the DCS-64bit version....

So if you :

- know how to edit files in Notepad++

- have a copy of Black Shark and DCS-A10.

- know how to handle frustration....

- know how to write good bug-reports that I can recreate following you instruction.

- have at last two monitors and know how to use them in DCS to show exports of e.g. MFCDs/Abris...

- have common sense and humour!

not necessary but it would be helpful :

- know how to edit PNG images in Gimp (or equivalent)

- have a dual boot of WinXP and Win7 (we have to test it also in the 32bit version of DCS-A10

... than write me a PM with the headline "NVG-Tweak" !

...and please tell me also if you have C++ and/or VisualBasic programming skills (not necessary but it would be helpful -I for instance have no such sufficient programming skills...)

...and please tell me also your time-zone and when you are usually able to answer e-mails.

The main problem is as follows:

I have a working DLL file that is complied for 32bit programs - but it won't work in 64bit versions.

I have also the source-code including all project-files for Visual-C++

So please help me/us out if you know how to create a 64bit version.

Here is the source code:

http://www.mikoweb.eu/index.php?node=28

download : gp_source_1.5_DX9.zip

Edited by PeterP

Another WIP - this time in DCS-A1064bit windowed mode.

...still no luck with Fullscreen...:noexpression:

But if everyting works out like expected -I will be able to upload the files for the NVG ANVS-9 Tweak at the weekend. This will work only if you run DCS-A10/BlackShark in windowed mode for single and multi-monitor setups.

...and BTW: the fade-delay after you switched the NVG off is adjustable.

• Like 1

Well it might happen it might not and this is, as far as I can tell only for the boots on the ground at the moment and is not issued .....yet. I think it's quite interesting if you haven't seen it already:

What sort of FOV that would give I don't know but hell it would be fun to use.

Link to here: http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gears...-at-ausa/#more

QuadNVG

I've seen an NVG like that at Spangdahlem Airbase Open House this summer

(81st Fighter Squadron). They told us that while these could not be used with the F-16, they would be in use with the A-10Cs and have a FOV of around 90° (if I remember correctly). So they are definately issued and if I understood them correctly are already being used in service.

Unfotunately one could not look through them as they had no caps for daylight protection :/

but the look through a GEN4 monocular was impressive as well =)

-> so maybe the talented people producing these new overlays could consider making one with a 90°FOV as well (unfortunately I have no idea how it is to look through these NVGs

I really hope you get this working in fullscreen. ED Team pls help this guy!!!

:pilotfly:Wolfpack Production:pilotfly:

-=<[WiN 10, I7 3770K @ 4,5 Ghz, Corsair H100i, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Dominator, Sapphire 7970 VaporX 6GB, C70 Vengance, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro rudder, Track IR, Beyerdynamics MMX 300 ]>=-

DCS/FC2/FC3/Arma videos on my channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/WolfpackproductionDK

"Fortes Furtuna Juvat"

Man your almost there.. It's kinda sad this kind of detail was left out of the initial release. I wish i could help with this but it's beyond me.

" I'm gonna have to be taking your car today. See I have some top secret clown business that supersedes any plans that you might have for this here vehicle."

Urgent!

Hello - need your help:

I'm converting my files now to fit different resolutions and aspect ratios...

you will have to choose your monitor res after you have installed this mod.

I will add this resolutions aspect ratios by default:

Please look at this list and notify me if your Monitor resolution where you have the cockpit render on is not listed!

Please also notify me if you know that there are commonly used monitors that I didn't included in my list.

4:1 (3x 4:3) 3072x768 , 3840x960 , 5800x1200

4:3 - 1024x768 , 1152x864 , 1280x960 , 1600x1200 , 1920x1440 , 2048x1536

5:4 - 1280x1024 , 1600x1280 , 2560x2048

15:4 (3x 5:4) 3840x1024 , 5800x1280 , 7680x2048

16:9/16:10 - 1280x720 , 1360x768 , 1280x800 , 1440x900 , 1680x1050 , 1920x1080 , 1920x1200 , 2560x1600 ,

16:3 (3x 16:9/16:10) - 4800x1050 , 5760x1080

I'm right now editing all necessary files - and in the meantime you can watch this : (... and pay special attention to the sound that is played when I turn the NVG on/off...)

I will look here before I pack the files and (may) add your wishes.

I don't know if this sound of the NVG and the clicking sound of deploying them is realistic at all - it is just how I expect it to be...;)

If you don't like it - tell me how it's sounding right... -anyway- you can also turn this off.

And yes - the mode will include the Small (like in the vid above) and the Big NVG view that goes from top to bottom of the screen.

and BTW: in the meantime you can also Think about where to put "win+h" - this will be the default Key to start the script for the Mask and NVG. - You don't have to change the controls in DCS at all. - so If you have a key/button mapped already to "RShift+H" - you may want to change it to "Win+H".....

for all that are waiting to download this mod - here a little update ( 10-22-2011 at 05:32 PM GMT +2) :

work.png

I have to edit in each folder two images for a working preset- and I'm 25% done in the last 2,5 hours.....

...;) but I'm getting faster with every new folder...!

Edited by PeterP
  • Like 1