Memory - how much needed to load EVERYTHING?

Bug11

I am looking to try and get rid of stutters and have gone through all the various tweaks and tips, and it is obvious that a lot of stutter comes from loading data in game.

I picked up an extra gig of RAM and would like to know if there is a way of forcing ALL game data to load into memory before the mission starts?

How much memory this would take?

How much 'working' memory for game processing is needed?

when I had a gig of memory.. fully loading to 512 megs would occur.

Going to 1.5 gig memory was also at 512.

I think they maxed it out at 512 megs.

Since I have programs that will grow larger than that when running, but lockon remains

constant, I can only "ass"u"me" this is the way ED programmed it.

I mainly get stutters just before the tower or awacs does it's "colt 11".... stuff

I know this doesn't help much...just a fyi thing.

running FC1.1 w/patches....

Thanks,

Brett

Sorry for english ;)

For start mission from this http://forum.lockon.ru/showpost.php?p=104443&postcount=97 post you must have 1Gb RAM and you can set all settings on max and power-off pagefile ;)

man, HOW many jets on screen at once!? hehe, started off pretty fast at around 30-40fps, then 25, then during the dogfights it was 14-16fps on average....actually there is another trackfile out there that really hammers your system, the one ZZZSpace included with his soundpack a while back

when I had a gig of memory.. fully loading to 512 megs would occur.

Going to 1.5 gig memory was also at 512.

I think they maxed it out at 512 megs.

I remember that after initial release of Lock On, many Windows 98/ME customers were angry that the program would not run on their system as advertised. An ED programmer once said that the problem was hitting an unexpected software "memory limit," how much could be loaded into Win98/ME as a maximum. Maybe this is how the problem was fixed, by maxing out the memory use to 512 MB?

-SK

You can force windows to load what it would put into the swap file into the physical memory but there are certain apps, Photoshop for example, that won't run. I've seen the steps for doing it but never had enough memory to try. I would think 2Gb minimum before attempting it. I don't have a link for the procedure, google it if interested.

performed some testing.

to reduce stutters i set terrrain preload to 900km, and the same for around objects. using the stutter config from lomacfiles otherwise.

launched the f-15 'flight' mission and this resulted in a 2 minute load time for the mission, BUT no stutter when panning 360 from the pit on immediate mission launch. memory usage for lockon.exe was 750meg.

did the same with the su-25t column hunter track, and the memory usage was over a gig. the only stutter present was when the view switched.

a tentative conclusion would be that 1 gig of memory is not enough to allow texture load free missions - therefore you will get stutters from either texture loading, or if you increase the preload you will get stutters from swapfile.

i would consider 1.5 gig of memory to be the minimum to have to realistically expect to be able to preload data to reduce stutters, but would suggest 2 gig for extra playing room.

when i get time i will try the same with an untweaked graphics config and see how it runs.

Has any of you guys, with 1.5 G ram or above, tried to preload the whole terrain folder into a ram disk and set the config files to read the required files from there? All terrain data will be loaded/reloaded at memory speed.

I have only 1 G ram and couldn't do it. but tried it with 1.02 and loaded all effects and sounds to a smaller ramdisk and when i launched missiles, my system didnt freez for a few msecnds as it used to.

sig3small320x1503vh3.jpg